Favorite Lead Free 6.5CM round in your Tikka T3x lite?

Hey y'all,

First of all, thanks for your input. I'm hunting in CA so need lead free reccomendations only. I've shot a few brands of rounds through my T3x lite in 6.5 creedmor at this point and have had mixed results. The Nosler 120g ET didnt seem to group as well as the Barnes VOR-TX LR 127gr LRX BT. I have limited options around me to try out (and limited funds) so I wanna hear what has worked best for y'all. Doing high altitude (10,000+) hunts.

And yes, I know getting better at shooting will help with the grouping. I'm working on it :LOL:

Thanks much,
-S

Macintosh

WKR
Most of my experience on game is in other cartridges, but Ive tried a handful in 6.5cm. I dont handload so limited to factory offerings, so I havent tried some of the specialty offerings like DRT or the like. Ive used the federal trophy copper (etips?), they worked but I only have one animal/2 shots at close range with them—they worked as expected. My gut feeling given my limited experience, is they are harder than the LRX’s, which imo is not helpful at lower impact velocity. Currently using LRX’s, which Ive had uniformly good luck with across the board in other cartridges. I have had good success with ttsx in other cartridges but havent used it in the 6.5, have heard mostly good about ttsx with one exception from this website—unfortunately barne’s recommended velocity window for different weight TTSX’s is all over the map and clear as mud so its possible its one of the harder ones, but I wouldnt know. I personally have avoided the non-tipped TSX’s.

Sounds to me like those LRX’s can at least be a standby for you while you take your time finding your goldilocks option.

Last edited:
OP
S
Most of my experience on game is in other cartridges, but Ive tried a handful in 6.5cm. I dont handload so limited to factory offerings, so I havent tried some of the specialty offerings like DRT or the like. Ive used the federal trophy copper (etips?), they worked but I only have one animal/2 shots at close range with them—they worked as expected. My gut feeling given my limited experience, is they are harder than the LRX’s, which imo is not helpful at lower impact velocity. Currently using LRX’s, which Ive had uniformly good luck with across the board in other cartridges. I have had good success with ttsx in other cartridges but havent used it in the 6.5, have heard mostly good about ttsx with one exception from this website—unfortunately barne’s recommended velocity window for different weight TTSX’s is all over the map and clear as mud so its possible its one of the harder ones, but I wouldnt know. I personally have avoided the non-tipped TSX’s.

Sounds to me like those LRX’s can at least be a standby for you while you take your time finding your goldilocks option.
Thanks much for sharing your experience. Seems like I've stumbled on a solid option and will stick with it until I have a good reason not to. Take care