Favorite down coat and pants

What are some of you guys opinions on which down pants in particular but coats as well have you found that performed the best, even if they’re not from a hunting company. Going to be in a pretty cold environment at high elevation in mid November in Asia and wanting to see what some thoughts are from those with experiences using the down systems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
No experience with Asia just general use in Colorado. I’ve become a fan of Eddie Bauer coats. Currently using the down light that is approx 3.5-4oz of treated 800fp. The shell also has a dwr that is still performing after being long overdue for a cleaning. Durability is better than expected. The fit and function is well thought out as with anything from their first ascent line. Never had the down shift giving cold spots.

My two cons are that it’s somewhat heavy at 18oz but that’s with a hood and being a tall cut. It leaked down through the stitching more than what I thought was acceptable so I seem sealed most of the stitching. To be fair I have packed it and worn it fairly hard, for the casual user it probably would not be an issue.

For pants I currently have the UA alpine ops and the jury is still out as I don’t have enough time in them yet but they are definitely warm. The first gen kuiu sd I found to be a great balance of warmth, pack size and average durability. Zero experience with feathered friends but I would have bought theirs if my budget allowed.

I run the Western Mountaineering Flight Pants and the Vapor Jacket and I really like them. They have excelled in the high country (9000ft+) for me. I feel like my body is in a different climate when I'm all bundled up in both. They are worth checking out, but I'm not sure what the demands are where you are going in Asia. No doubt I'd go more than less when it comes to this though. Have fun out there!

alpinej7

Lil-Rokslider
I am a volunteer with a mountain rescue unit (in the MRA) and use the Patagonia Fitz Roy Hoody. I need a big belay puffy that I can wear over all my layers (and not take off warm inner layers). This is about 22oz and meets the warm factor but it is a bit bulky.
Another great company for lightweight gear I'd recommend you check into is Montbell.

OP
huntstrong2850
Thanks guys that’s kinda what I was looking for was some suggestions out side the hunting industry.

Longrifle

Lil-Rokslider
I've been wondering about this dame topic. I want a good down jacket without spending $400. I've seen some good looking jackets from Columbia, Eddie Bauer, LL Bean, that are much more affordable, but rarely with treated down. And they typically are 650 df or less.

You get what you pay for when it comes to this. I like my gear to work and work well year after year and not wonder if it will perform, but rather trust and know it will. If you plan on hunting for years to come, you will be money ahead buying top tier in this department as well as others.

Last edited:
Never hunted Asia, but assuming you need warm and light weight; I would focus on spec more than anything. you do not want to go much lower than 150gr of down insulation preferably in the 850 fill power range or at least 800 fill power.

Diwoochoo

FNG
The old box baffle Fitz Roy parka is so hard to find now a days. It’s really sought after so it doesn’t come cheap. Really holds its value over the stitchthrough fitz Roy hoody.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m trying to plan an Asia trip for 2025, I’ll be taking western mountaineering down if I take down. If not, it will be the kifaru LPP stuff. I’ve never used my LPP pants but I use the LPP parka for winter snowmachining and I’ve always been warm.

Outwest

WKR
Rab electron jacket has performed pretty well for me over the past few seasons. I also carry the UA alpine ops pants and they have been nice although they don’t stay up very well. I wish they had a drawstring or something like it.

RoseAllen

Lil-Rokslider
Anything Cumulus makes. Large line of down jackets, pants and customizable sleeping bags. By far the quietest and best fitting down jackets I have used. Orders arrive fast about a week.

I have an arcteryx cerium SV and I love it, though they redid it recently and it seems to be subpar from what I have seen. My wife has a feathered friends jacket and if I were getting a new one I would look at those.

Dented

WKR
Feathered friends helios with an appropriate or shell if needed. I'm using Nunatak Kobuk pants, again, outer shell as needed for camo, brush protection, whatever. If Nunatak isn't making pants (sometimes they suspend production) I'd be picking up the Feathered Friends pants. And I'd still be using an outer protection layer if needed.

I’m with fngTony been using Eddie bauer coat. I am going to try out Helly Hansen 3/4 length, side zipper down pants this year in the pack.