Favorite 44m scope 500 yards

806guns

Whats your favorite hunting scope 44mm objective out to 500 yards. I am currently trying the new Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18x44 FFP 34mm scope. So far it seems good nedd to get more rounds under this scope. Currently on a 6mm Arc but may change soon. As i have a 300 Prc, 7 Prc, 270, 308, 6XC, 22XC bolts. 6mm Arc and 223 Ar-15's. Most of my big power scopes are Riton X5 5-25x50 and a Riton rt-s 7 made in japan 5-25x56. And running Swfa 10x42, 12x42 and a 16x42. I try to stay under 1k. If the new arken epl4 4-16x44 wasnt on a 6-8 week backorder i would give it a chance. Thoughts, comments?

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
I put a viper PST gen 2, 3-15x44 on my wife's 6.5CM. I've liked it alot, my dad had a viper 6.5-20x44 with the capped turrets on his 30-06 for years before he finally switched to open turrets and that scope had decent glass quality, definitely did not seem as crisp as the pst. But it's also a sub $500 scope. More comparible to the SWFA fixed scopes

Why the stipulation of 44mm? Just match the objective size to mag range for exit pupil. There’s little difference between a 44 or a 42 or 50.

Personally I’d never run a Chinese or Phillipino optic on anything I needed to trust to make a shot. They’re junk.

OverInfinite

Lil-Rokslider
Why the stipulation of 44mm? Just match the objective size to mag range for exit pupil. There’s little difference between a 44 or a 42 or 50.

Personally I’d never run a Chinese or Phillipino optic on anything I needed to trust to make a shot. They’re junk.
I don't agree with this at all. The country of origin does not dictate manufacturing quality and quality control. I've had great luck on a lot of rifle scopes from vortex that are Philippine and china manufactured. For 90% of the rifles out there, they fit the bill. Margin of error in shooters account for more issues than a scope or even a reload. I rather like a 44mm on a low cheek rifle stock, chassis can get away with big objective lens and taller rings and still have comfort.
Everybody shoots different.

I don't agree with this at all. The country of origin does not dictate manufacturing quality and quality control. I've had great luck on a lot of rifle scopes from vortex that are Philippine and china manufactured. For 90% of the rifles out there, they fit the bill. Margin of error in shooters account for more issues than a scope or even a reload. I rather like a 44mm on a low cheek rifle stock, chassis can get away with big objective lens and taller rings and still have comfort.
Everybody shoots different.

I’ve used Vortex’s warranty on every Chinese or Phillipino model I’ve owned. The Japanese Razors are great but everything else is junk.

idcuda

WKR
If the new arken epl4 4-16x44 wasnt on a 6-8 week backorder i would give it a chance. Thoughts, comments?
In stock at camera land and there's a rokslide discount. Just got one last week. I only ask that you wait until tomorrow night, in case there's only one left. I think I'm ordering another one. 😁

OP

806guns

In stock at camera land and there's a rokslide discount. Just got one last week. I only ask that you wait until tomorrow night, in case there's only one left. I think I'm ordering another one. 😁
I need to know !

IMG_3008.JPG

Macintosh

WKR
@806guns, what's the reason for limiting yourself to 44mm? Might help widen the field significantly, if its a scope height issue there are good rings to get a 50mm scope lower on a lot of guns, and I dont think there's a human out there that can see the functional difference between a 40, 42 and 44mm objective, all other things being equal.
I've also had consistently poor luck with previously mentioned made in Phillipines vortex scopes not holding zero even with light use, and many of the folks I shoot with that use them have also had to use warranty, sometimes multiple times. I wouldn't recommend them if reliability is important to you.

idcuda

WKR
I need to know !
Nothing to really report yet, since I haven't shot with it. I like everything about it so far. I probably would have gone with an SWFA 3-9, if they were in stock, but I'm pretty sure I'll be grabbing another one of these. I have a fleet of Tikkas that were just gifted to my boys and they need optics.

OP

806guns

@806guns, what's the reason for limiting yourself to 44mm? Might help widen the field significantly, if its a scope height issue there are good rings to get a 50mm scope lower on a lot of guns, and I dont think there's a human out there that can see the functional difference between a 40, 42 and 44mm objective, all other things being equal.
I've also had consistently poor luck with previously mentioned made in Phillipines vortex scopes not holding zero even with light use, and many of the folks I shoot with that use them have also had to use warranty, sometimes multiple times. I wouldn't recommend them if reliability is important to you.
Its simply the fact that i can keep the cheek weld down and i feel like its not 100% necessary. I own several 50mm obj scopes. They work but looking at other options currently.