Faster or Heavier arrow???

rachunter

FNG
I shoot a Mathews Chill X, at 29" draw and 55# for deer hunting.

I am buying new broadheads and have a choice of 100 grain or 125 grain.

My current arrow is a Gold Tip Velocity 400 spine, 28", 100-grain broadhead shooting 275fps. The total arrow weight is 367 which comes to 61.62 kinetic and .448 slugs, the FOC is 9.6 and comes to 6.6 grains per pound.

I know it will not make a huge difference but since I am buying new broadheads if I move to 125-grain broadhead with the same arrow it would give me 392-grain arrow weight that would make the kinetic energy 61.11 and a slug number of .461, the FOC would move to 12.26 and 7.1 grains per pound. The downside would be I would lose 10 fps the heavier arrow would be at 265fps.

2 questions:

1 - Is it worth giving up 10 fps for a better FOC and heavier arrow????

2 - How do you decide if a faster arrow is better than a heavier arrow???

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Faster arrows have a flatter trajectory, which helps compensate for range estimation error. Heavier arrows have better penetration potential. There's no definitive answer on how best to balance those competing factors. It depends to some degree on your max shot distance and what animal(s) you're hunting, but it's largely just personal preference. 25 gr/10 fps one way or the other will not have a major effect.

Another alternative to what you're considering would be to stick with 100 gr broadheads and use Gold Tip FACT weights to add weight behind your insert. Doing so would allow you to revert back to the lighter setup if you end up disliking the trajectory of the slightly heavier arrow.

The importance of FOC is often vastly overstated, I'd just let it fall where it may. But if you really did want to increase FOC, the best bang for your buck would be to lighten the back end of your arrows a bit. From the info you provided, I'm guessing you're using a lighted nock or maybe a nock that requires a pin/bushing.

Last edited:

Plowboy85

Lil-Rokslider
I will add my opinion and piggyback on @Mighty Mouse.I feel there is a positive to reasonable amount of FOC but zero it useless above 15%ish unless warranted as mentioned below. I personally shoot a heavier arrow at 530s. It is a Victory RIP TKO with 100gr head, 100gr insert and IW steel collars plus a nockturnal at 25gr. Dudley and Aaron of Kifaru had a good podcast on this and the summary of it was utilize front weight to help improve accuracy and modify spine. They both made it clear they had zero idea of their FOC and didn’t really care. We all have ballpark ideas of the needed arrow spine due to arrow length and draw weight. So getting to my opinion now, I think chasing a desirable FOC is not productive to the end goal, but getting the proper spine and length then playing with inserts or points to see if one set of FOC groups better at distance than others is very productive. Also arrow weight is subjective and also a matter of comfort in your setup. I shot maxed out 70lb bows, 6”-7” brace heights and 29.5” draw, I rarely have to shoot pass 50 nor do I care to in a hunting situation so I’m content with a little more arc in my trajectory. I have a 80yd pin in my slider so that’s plenty for practice. I shoot the heavy arrow mainly due to tracking deer with out pass throughs, I am believer of two holes and have no concerns digging my arrow out of the mud. With all of that said, if you getting the proper penetration and accuracy you desire I see no reason to go heavier or chase FOC, FOC is a tool in my opinion. I shoot long range of rifles and heavier bullets will pull away from lighters due to BC and ability to maintain energy. I have yet to do it but have wanted to try a light and heavy for poundage arrow at say 60-80 and see how their trajectories compare, I’m sure someone else has.

mwh624

FNG
I'll agree that FOC hype is a little over rated but my preference is a heavier, slower arrow vs a lighter, faster arrow for a few reasons.
-Heavier arrows penetrate better and convert more energy from the bow into mechanical energy.
-The trajectory gain from going to a lighter arrow usually isn't significant enough to prevent a miss.
- Bow seems quieter.

This year I shot a deer with a 415gr arrow with about 11% FOC, which is a light arrow. I got a new bow right before season and didn't have time to perfect my setup.(I wanted a heavier arrow, but didn't have time to change) Can you use a light arrow and be successful, yes. Can you use a heavy arrow and be successful, also yes. Your arrow weight should depend on what type of game your hunting and your hunting style. For example, if you are hunting antelope, you should have a light arrow, if you are bear hunting, you should have a heavy arrow. Whitetail deer are more in the middle of big game. If you will never shoot past 30 yards. Go as heavy as you want. Arrow speed doesn't really matter at distances under 30. If you are going to shoot past 30, a little lighter of an arrow will be better. I am changing the arrow I am going to use, and am going to a 510gr arrow with about 13% FOC. I hunt Whitetail and my max range is around 50 yards. I went heavier cause most of my shots are going to be from 25-35. But an occasional shot could be farther, which is why I didn't go extremely heavy and stuck around that 500gr. This arrow weight will match my hunting style and range that I will be shooting. Go to the arrow weight that fits your hunting style and range of shots.

I'm in the 'faster is Better" crowd.
You have plenty of weight to pass through a whitetail.
Keep the the arrow light, trajectory flat, and improve your success.
The 9.6% seems a little low for this setup, what is going on at the rear to offset the balance?

Short range hunting, go heavy, longer range faster helps.
X2. I like flatter shooting for spot n stalk, deer moving farther out etc. But if i hunted mostly out of a stand inside 30 I'd go heavier in hopes of a little more leeway with shot selection

OP
R

rachunter

FNG
Thank you to everyone that has responded so far, I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Now to continue,

The rear of the shaft has a GT nock at 12 grains, a 5-inch wrap at 6 grains, and 3 AAE max stealth vanes at 9 grains each. The FOC number came from Archers Advantage after I entered my arrow specs it says FOC 9.6.

100 grain head - total arrow weight 367 grains, 275 fps measured
VS.
125 grain head - total arrow weight 392 grains, 265 fps mesured

My max distance for hunting is 40 yards but I do like to practice out to 50 yards. I was shooting long shots this past Sunday and really could not tell any difference in arrow flight between 100 and 125 grain field points.

If I was not about to buy broadheads I would just keep shooting 100 grain but if I am ever going to change broadhead weight this is the time to do it. I plan to buy about 12 broadheads, 3 will be used only for practice and the other 9 will be my new hunting broadheads. I was just afraid 367 grains for a hunting arrow was a little light and if that's the case this would be the best time to change it.

Maybe I am asking the wrong question. Maybe I should not worry so much about FOC and just ask everyone which they would choose for hunting deer.

A 367 grain arrow at 275 fps or 392 grain arrow at 265 which would you choose for hunting???

I have tested several broadheads and have decided to go with Grim Reaper Micro Hades 3 blade, If I can just figure out what grain to go with I can get them ordered.

I know, I know.......I am overthinking this.......it is what I do .....LOL

392gr if you want higher 12% FOC.

You will have to play with angle of departure to get your "zero point " and compare drops.
You can compare pin settings below to see what the differences are at different yardage.

Last edited:

satchamo

WKR
I changed to heavier 2 years ago. I’m now going back to fast…

The trajectory of my 530 grain arrows I’m out of my traverse was hard to handle. Slight yardage miss judged and I could be way off. I never had this issue with faster arrows.

I’m going to a 450-475 grain setup and not looking back. Like others have said - get some additional point weight to bump your foc up for better arrow flight. Just pick your shaft accordingly. You’ll spine up and probably want to stay with a lighter gpi shaft.

Gold Tip FACT weights were invented for overthinkers like you (and me). They allow you to adjust front end weight in increments as small as 10 gr without changing anything else about your arrow. You can't make a heavy head lighter if you end up disliking its trajectory, but you can add weight behind the insert if you choose a lighter head and still want to increase TAW. The only downside of this approach is the additional cost of the GT FACT system.

Thank you to everyone that has responded so far, I really appreciate your thoughts on this.

Now to continue,

The rear of the shaft has a GT nock at 12 grains, a 5-inch wrap at 6 grains, and 3 AAE max stealth vanes at 9 grains each. The FOC number came from Archers Advantage after I entered my arrow specs it says FOC 9.6.

100 grain head - total arrow weight 367 grains, 275 fps measured
VS.
125 grain head - total arrow weight 392 grains, 265 fps mesured

My max distance for hunting is 40 yards but I do like to practice out to 50 yards. I was shooting long shots this past Sunday and really could not tell any difference in arrow flight between 100 and 125 grain field points.

If I was not about to buy broadheads I would just keep shooting 100 grain but if I am ever going to change broadhead weight this is the time to do it. I plan to buy about 12 broadheads, 3 will be used only for practice and the other 9 will be my new hunting broadheads. I was just afraid 367 grains for a hunting arrow was a little light and if that's the case this would be the best time to change it.

Maybe I am asking the wrong question. Maybe I should not worry so much about FOC and just ask everyone which they would choose for hunting deer.

A 367 grain arrow at 275 fps or 392 grain arrow at 265 which would you choose for hunting???

I have tested several broadheads and have decided to go with Grim Reaper Micro Hades 3 blade, If I can just figure out what grain to go with I can get them ordered.

Go with 125. If you have the choice, I guess at your lower draw weight and arrow weight I personally wouldn’t choose a chisel tip and would prefer a coc head. For lower draw weight your kinda want to increase the grains per pound. So 8 grains per pound would be more ideal, maybe even 9.

CoStick

WKR
I have a bow set up that shoots 290 and one that shoots 240, with 3D and hunting I don’t notice a difference. Either shooting set 20-30-40 and dialing for longer. Minimal difference I can’t notice when actually shooting.

The difference you are talking about is a pretty moot point. Neither way is going to make much of a difference.

The major differences I see are better broadhead selection with 100's, sometimes a more robust head with 125.

25 one way or the other doesn't change much of anything.

I have a bow set up that shoots 290 and one that shoots 240, with 3D and hunting I don’t notice a difference. Either shooting set 20-30-40 and dialing for longer. Minimal difference I can’t notice when actually shooting.

I would agree on marked ranges, but intermediate, huge differences between those velocities and your allowable error when shooting 20 to 30 yds using your top pin. Your 290 will fill that 20-26 yd gap easy, your slower bow not so much.

CoStick

WKR
I would agree on marked ranges, but intermediate, huge differences between those velocities and your allowable error when shooting 20 to 30 yds using your top pin. Your 290 will fill that 20-26 yd gap easy, your slower bow not so much.
I hunt with the 240 bow and haven’t seen a difference in holding for pin gap. If you stretch it out I could see an impact though