Far sighted aiming solutions

JjamesIII

WKR
My cousin is new to archery and is struggling with seeing his peep and pins clearly. He can see the target fine, unassisted without glasses. Do any of you guys have a similar situation and a resolution to the problem? I am personally near sighted, contacts correct my vision without an issue.
I was thinking about one of those small lenses that go inside the peep housing? Like a verifier they offer in different powers. But I’m just throwing out guesses.

Rob5589

WKR
Verifier peep for sure. Go with magnification that just clears up the pins otherwise it can blur the target at further distances. A good shop will have a check tool to see what he needs.

I'm far sighted, the only thing I do is run small pins. you're supposed to focus on your target not your pins. as long as everything is set up correctly he should be able see the sight housing inside his peep even though it will be blurry, thats ok. the reason for the smaller pin is it becomes less intrusive as far sighted people tend to pick up small things easier, at least in my case and I have to hold things 2 ft out to read. tell him dont put much thought into it, focus on the spot on target and when the little blurry dot get there just release.

Rob5589

WKR
I'm far sighted, the only thing I do is run small pins. you're supposed to focus on your target not your pins. as long as everything is set up correctly he should be able see the sight housing inside his peep even though it will be blurry, thats ok. the reason for the smaller pin is it becomes less intrusive as far sighted people tend to pick up small things easier, at least in my case and I have to hold things 2 ft out to read. tell him dont put much thought into it, focus on the spot on target and when the little blurry dot get there just release.
Maybe blurry to a point. But when all you see is a multi colored blob it's time to do something :LOL:

very true hence the small pins, but that's what works for me and we have no idea to what extent his vision is. based on how the OP worded it his cousin is trying to focus on peep and pins which you don't do anyway. its far cheaper to try a small pin but if he already has .010 pins then sure a verifier may help. the fact that he's new to archery is also a reason to hold off, we don't know what habits he has good or bad. I say give it time and have the shooter be very vocal on what he sees, doesn't see, and what he's trying to see.

OP
J

JjamesIII

WKR
very true hence the small pins, but that's what works for me and we have no idea to what extent his vision is. based on how the OP worded it his cousin is trying to focus on peep and pins which you don't do anyway. its far cheaper to try a small pin but if he already has .010 pins then sure a verifier may help. the fact that he's new to archery is also a reason to hold off, we don't know what habits he has good or bad. I say give it time and have the shooter be very vocal on what he sees, doesn't see, and what he's trying to see.
Thank you. We went out together today, he did better than I thought. I believe his expectations were to clearly see peep, pins/housing as well as the target. I told him the peep is never really crisp, only a vague eclipse of the housing. I explained that is the first thing we lose sight of as shooting light fades, perfectly normal. He went out to 50, most bad shots I would attribute to being new and inconsistent with anchor points and sight alignment, also an expected performance from a new archer.