Fall mountain bear hunt, worth it?

Bobbyboe

WKR
Long and short, I struck out on a deer tag I thought was a guarantee. Now I have set vacation in early October and don’t have a tag. Has anyone done a fall bear specific hunt? I know many states have OTC tags, so I’d have choices. I’m worried they may be nocturnal or in the thick brush were they’d be difficult to hunt. Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

jpkoepse

FNG
I went to Idaho two falls in a row. Bear sign was all low in thickest of crap. Never saw any bears. But others who live there say they see them, just not as often

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

NTBUTCHER

FNG
Depending on where you are planning to go they come out when hyperphagia hits later in the season when it's a mad dash to eat as many berries as they can. But thats on huge berry patches in the alpine for us. YMMV

slick

WKR
In October? Think that’s a bit late for berries in most parts.

I would say your best bet at that time would be western OR or northern CA.

Mojave

WKR
New Mexico is OTC, but they will have the season closed within a couple weeks of the opener.

kickemall

WKR
October in Ca is a great month to hunt bears. They’re just starting to put on fat but still moving a lot and Ca has a large bear population.

Weldor

WKR
Arizona has a decent fall bear hunt, but there s a quota.

WILLMCC

FNG
As far as eating goes, is there a big difference in the taste of a spring mountain bear and a fall mountain bear? Which is the better table fare?