Fall in SE Texas...

Mojave

WKR
So when does summer really end. Here in Las Cruces NM fall is mid September to mid November. Water in the tap is almost cold enough to drink without ice right now.

• Banned
OP
Newtosavage
So when does summer really end. Here in Las Cruces NM fall is mid September to mid November. Water in the tap is almost cold enough to drink without ice right now.
Usually around mid to late October, we can expect no more 90+ degree days. But sometimes we will have 90's into November. With the humidity, it truly sucks. This summer has been the longest period of mid-90's to 100+ days I can ever remember, going all the way back to May.

I can't tell you how many times I've left for a hunt in Colorado in October and it was 95 degrees and two weeks later when I got back it was still 95 degrees.

It didn't used to be this way. When I was growing up, we had cool weather in mid-Sept. and by October, our bowhunting camps were chilly.

Time for me to get out.

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
Its very typical for my roses to bloom during christmas and to wear just underoos under my waders duck hunting. Gets cold in Jan and Feb. Spring is in March.....Summer starts easter....

Last edited:
Just you have a reference - it's been colder than 30 F every morning for the last 4 days. Daytime temps less than 60. My well water hurts your teeth to drink it. Enjoy your heat.

Yoder

WKR
Usually around mid to late October, we can expect no more 90+ degree days. But sometimes we will have 90's into November. With the humidity, it truly sucks. This summer has been the longest period of mid-90's to 100+ days I can ever remember, going all the way back to May.

I can't tell you how many times I've left for a hunt in Colorado in October and it was 95 degrees and two weeks later when I got back it was still 95 degrees.

It didn't used to be this way. When I was growing up, we had cool weather in mid-Sept. and by October, our bowhunting camps were chilly.

Time for me to get out.
I lived in Austin TX in 1992. I ran my AC in December. It's Texas. It's hot there. It's always been hot there. Nothing bad is happening. Didn't you have record cold the other year?

Reburn

Mayhem Contributor
I lived in Austin TX in 1992. I ran my AC in December. It's Texas. It's hot there. It's always been hot there. Nothing bad is happening. Didn't you have record cold the other year?
last couple years have had pretty warm dec followed by very cold Febs.

OP
Newtosavage
Yes, yes, we've all run our AC in December. Yes, it's hot here. But it's hotter longer than it was when I was a kid. That's a well documented fact.

One week of record cold doesn't change the fact that six of the top ten hottest summers on record have occurred in the past 11 years. This records from 2011 have now been topped four times since then.

It's not the same-old same-old. This is new for those of us who've lived in TX since the 70's.

You can also see how "cool" the 1970's actually were. :D I mean, we knew we were cool, but there's the proof! ha, ha.

Warmest
Coolest

Last edited:

Button

WKR
I’m ready for some chilly air. The humidity never really goes away here on the coast. But it makes a big difference when it’s not so humid.

OP
Newtosavage
I’m ready for some chilly air. The humidity never really goes away here on the coast. But it makes a big difference when it’s not so humid.
Agreed. The older I get, the less I can deal with humidity. When I lived in Roswell, it got just as hot but you really didn't feel it, and the shade there always felt 20 degrees cooler. Here, you step in the shade and hardly notice. LOL I gotta get out of this sauna. The Californians can have it.

Button

WKR
Agreed. The older I get, the less I can deal with humidity. When I lived in Roswell, it got just as hot but you really didn't feel it, and the shade there always felt 20 degrees cooler. Here, you step in the shade and hardly notice. LOL I gotta get out of this sauna. The Californians can have it.
Don’t California my Matagorda Lol

Winter here is pretty good. Not hot, hunting season, excellent trout fishing under lights

OP
Newtosavage
I just assumed so you got me there. All the things I talked about are pretty mainstream ideas. I didn't make them up in a bunker. Powerful people are rarely motivated by the good of mankind, usually its money and more power.
Equally true on both sides of every issue.

Nah, I was just b*tching about how hot it is down here compared to what I remember as a kid. Usually by mid-Sept, we would have had an actual cool front and by October, it was bowhunting weather. I can remember freezing my butt off in a tent in East Texas in October many times in the late 70's and early 80's.

This riding mid-90's to 100's from the beginning of May through mid-October is just not any fun anymore.

Our first 95+ degree day this year was May 6 and our last will be in October sometime, although we've had 95 degrees at Thanksgiving before.