Fall Bear Calling

For those of you that predator call for bears, which calls are you using in the fall? I heard in Spring to use fawn or calf distress calls due to timing with new fawns and calfs on the ground but are yall still using that in the fall or are there better calls for fall? Hunting Colorado this Sept for my first bear hunt and want to have a call as a backup option if food sources are limited.

I personally have never had any luck getting a bear to do anything other than stop and look for a second or two in the fall...have called quite a few in with both distress calls and huffs but always in the spring.

I called one in on August 1st 2020 with elk calf distress after about 45 mins. I've tried it a bunch tho and that was the only call in, and even then it was much more interested in eating blackberries, so i think i just got lucky

My anecdotal experience calling fall bear (on accident)

Spring bear I think are much more prone to calling because it relates to a food source they are actively seeking out (fawns, calves, and cubs in some instances) fall bear don’t seem to focus on hunting… don’t see them chasing anything, do see them feeding in close proximity to deer and elk, and nobody seems to care… they all seem to not care about each other in the fall… bear are lazy, and there will be food around in the fall… and the fawns and calves are big enough to get away for the most part

Back to my little experience calling fall bear… I have called in 2, and crazy enough, they were on consecutive days in different units…

First one I was down in the bottom of this big canyon one morning just making tracks looking for elk sign, finally got on good sign and ended up calling in a rag bull I didn’t care to shoot.. a buddy wanted to hunt that evening, so I left that bull and we came back to see if I could call him back for my buddy

We had made it quite a way from where that bull had been, and couldn’t get him to fire off, and we made it to this big nice bench… I cow call a couple times and hear a branch pop above us, then another… he’s coming! Get my buddy set up, and I go down in a little draw to hide myself from the approaching bull… now it’s close, hear ferns swishing steadily getting closer, waiting to hear the bow go off, and instead here comes my buddy sneaking to me with big eyes, haha… he said it’s a bear.. I ask how big, he says big, and he was rattled and didn’t want to shoot it, so I nock an arrow and sneak up and call a couple more times, and it pops up on a little rise, and is coming pretty quick… I instantly see it’s not a big bear, for sure not one I want to shoot, and it climbs over a log about 15yds from me still coming and I see 2 cubs climb that same log behind her… not cool

I make a sound with my voice, wave my arms a little to get her attention, she stands and looks at me, doesn’t care and keeps frantically coming… now it’s too close, and I’m talking to this bear, and it keeps coming, and at sub 10yds I draw, keep talking to it, and the bear is ignoring me… it finally hits my wind, and all 3 turn inside out and peel out of there… cool encounter

The very next day I am in a different unit miles away and am calling my way through an area, below me is a small overgrown clear cut with timber in the back and I hear a branch pop… sweet! I get down the ridge so I’m not exposed and keep calling, and it’s coming quick… now it’s in the cut, I can see brush moving, then I realized I should see this bull, why am I not? Just about then a big pumpkin head boar pops up on the ridge I’m on… seriously? I had a big bear in the freezer already and didn’t want to kill this bear… when I quit calling, he quit coming and just roamed around a little trying to tempt me, but after a bit, he lost interest and started mowing down elder berries

I've called in 3 and shot 2 of them. I missed one, as I was about to be run over like coyotes coming in. I could hear it running at me, running hard, and missed at just a few feet, after it stood up eye to eye with me at just a couple yards. Had my then 11 year old with me at my feet. Pretty much ruined him from predator calling...lol.

The FoxPro kid goat in distress is where it's at. Hands down. You're over thinking it. If they are hungry....they'll show. Regardless of the time of day or season.

I have a theory that the majority of those that show are boars and more aggressive and less passive than sows or sows still nursing.

OP
B
Thank you for all of your information and input. Ready for Sept to get here to give it a shot. Good luck this season!

Before I forget…

Do be prepared to address any animal that comes to your call. Just because you are doing a predator call, it does not mean only a black bear will come.

Be prepared for bear, coyotes, bobcats, mountain lion, hawk, deer (seen both mule deer and Coues come in), and anything else that may be in the area. Know ahead of time what you can legally hunt/kill.

ramhunter

FNG
For those of you that predator call for bears, which calls are you using in the fall? I heard in Spring to use fawn or calf distress calls due to timing with new fawns and calfs on the ground but are yall still using that in the fall or are there better calls for fall? Hunting Colorado this Sept for my first bear hunt and want to have a call as a backup option if food sources are limited.
I have called in a lot of black bears in southeast Alaska with a deer bleat call in the fall, wasn't trying to call them in, was calling for bucks, but the bear like coming in too! once and awhile a wolf too!

OP
B
I ended up getting a primos coyote bear buster call to try. It had good reviews and it can be blown super loud or quieter. It came in yesterday and seems like it will be a good option.

My friend and his buddy called in a black bear used a fawn distress call last fall. They were blind calling in an area they new there were bears and one can rushing in. I tried using the same call in a completely different area where there was a food source and plenty of sign, but no luck for me. Debating whether I am going to try it again this fall.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Called in a couple bears with cottontail hand calls, it took a while for them to come though about an hour but they came right to where I had been calling

I think this is fascinating...but success is probably driven by a few factors.

What bears are needing/eating where you are.

Individual bear temperament.

What time of year it is.

These have all already been mentioned, one way or another, but the point being that just because a black bear comes in for someone in the spring in Alaska, but doesnt in the fall in Wisconsin doesnt mean its a bad idea or even wouldnt work somewhere nearby. Gotta know your target audience for advertising.

I think this is fascinating...but success is probably driven by a few factors.

What bears are needing/eating where you are.

Individual bear temperament.

What time of year it is.

These have all already been mentioned, one way or another, but the point being that just because a black bear comes in for someone in the spring in Alaska, but doesnt in the fall in Wisconsin doesnt mean its a bad idea or even wouldnt work somewhere nearby. Gotta know your target audience for advertising.
Excellent advice.

Any suggestions for what hand call to use? Electronic calls are illegal. I understand that it’s location dependent. We don’t have elk here in Mass. So obviously I’m
not going to use a elk calf in distress call. I do have a cottontail predator call I’ve used for coyote. Any others?