Factory Hornady superformance CX?

Anybody put the Hornady Superformance CX through the paces yet? Accuracy? Need to pick up some boxes when I'm on a trip coming up and looking at the Superformance CX or federal trophy bonded tip. 0-500yds 165gr 30-06 t3x deer to elk size game. Also does one (lead vs copper) work better if I have to take a close shot when still hunting under 100? Thx

Last edited:

TN2shot07

WKR
I haven’t shot the cx but have used Nosler etips and Barnes ttsx quite a bit with no issues. If you are going to use copper you may want to step down to 150 in an 06, the faster they are going the better performance on impact.

Trophy bonded tips are an awesome bullet and have shot well out of anything I’ve used them in, very similar to an accubond. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them in a 165 for what you described

Kurts86

WKR
I have a box of the CX Outfitter I need to try out but my range trips keep getting disrupted. My hope is that they have improved the opening minimum velocity and BC from the GMX line.

I haven’t had good accuracy from Federal Trophy Copper. It’s the worst for accuracy mono load I’ve used.

Barnes Vor-TX is probably the most consistently accurate mono load I’ve used so far. I like the Vor-TX LRX bullet better for expansion but it’s most finicky rifle to rifle.

In general the copper mono’s do really well up close because they take more velocity to open up but they can struggle past 400 yards. They really need 2000-2200 fps to really open up the way a lot of lead cored bullets do at 1,800 fps. As mentioned above you often step down in weight 10-15% with copper bullets for velocity. They are also less dense than lead cored. So at the same grain weight as a lead cored bullet a copper mono will take up more powder capacity.

OP
bojangles808
I haven’t shot the cx but have used Nosler etips and Barnes ttsx quite a bit with no issues. If you are going to use copper you may want to step down to 150 in an 06, the faster they are going the better performance on impact.

Trophy bonded tips are an awesome bullet and have shot well out of anything I’ve used them in, very similar to an accubond. I wouldn’t hesitate to use them in a 165 for what you described
thanks ya they only have the superformance in 165 but i have been shooting federal 150 fusion for deer and sheep.. ammo is really a pain to get in hawaii with supply limited so when I go on a mainland trip its usually best to bring a bunch back. I've been looking for something bonded or more solid than a soft point and the Superformance cx and Federal Trophy bonded Tip looked like what the big box stores had in stock in 150-165 grain range.not a lot of other options like barnes bullets. I'll probably go TBT as that seems more tried and true not as an unknown as the superformance cx that is a lot newer on the market

Last edited:

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is an older post, but I used the factory .270win 130gr Superformance CX with my Tikka T3X on a Wisconsin whitetail hunt this season. The situation required me to take a neck shot on my buck at ~110 yards and damn it was a clean kill. I choose the CX because it grouped the best for me during practice and in the field it went exactly where I wanted and performed beautifully. Complete pass through at the base of the neck where it meets the torso. The bullet completely severed the spine and the deer dropped instantly without even a single twitch. I was able to still keep a ton of the neck meat. I’ll be using the CX for now on. Plus the Superformance line makes that 130gr real spicy, I love it.

Shot 4 deer in Wisconsin with Hornady cx in 165g 300wsm. All Bang flops and limited meat loss.
Also use 165g cx in 30:06 and have had good luck with that.
Myself and my family have been using copper mono for the last 4 years and it has been awesome on whitetail. CX has been grouping great in both rifles. Can’t say enough good things except for availability. I don’t reload and it is more expensive, but Pendleton and Hendershots load up some great CX medicines for a wide variety of calibers.