Eye damage from Glassing at Sunset…..

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
Wanted to share this experience with the group in hopes of a similar experience not happening to any of you……

Out Antelope hunting this weekend with my oldest boy. Wake up day 2 in the tipi & my left eye is killing me. Feels full of sand & very irritated. I put my contact lenses in & discomfort goes away. Hunt that morning unsuccessful & break down camp & head home. Get an hour into the roadtrip home & begin experiencing extreme sensitivity to sunlight even with sunglasses on. 2 hours from home & my eye begins watering uncontrollably. Barely make it home & get contact lenses out take some pain pills slam a few Beers take a shower & wife took me to the ER.

Doctor diagnosed me with “Photokeratitis” which is “Welders FlashBurn”. Or slight damage to eye from extreme UV light. He said the UV rays at Sunset through binoculars most likely was the cause. DOC got me on some good eye drops & antibiotic ointment. He said that the damage to my eye was minimal in the Retinal Scan. I’m doing way better today!

As mentioned above Just wanted to share this experience with the group in hopes of getting this passed on to other hunters out there so it never happens to you……..

Binos: Bushnell Legend L series 10x42

Attachments

• E8BB80A7-6498-425A-81C8-7EDA86842E57.jpeg
    E8BB80A7-6498-425A-81C8-7EDA86842E57.jpeg
    341.3 KB · Views: 77
I got arc burn in both eyes while helping a local farmer build farrowing crates in a new building. It hit me about six hours later and you're right it's like sandpaper in your eyes. Rough the next day but by day 2 it was better.

OP
Montucky

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
I got arc burn in both eyes while helping a local farmer build farrowing crates in a new building. It hit me about six hours later and you're right it's like sandpaper in your eyes. Rough the next day but by day 2 it was better.
Doc said symptoms onset 6-12 hours after exposure, I can’t imagine experiencing symptoms in both eyes….

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Wanted to share this experience with the group in hopes of a similar experience not happening to any of you……

Out Antelope hunting this weekend with my oldest boy. Wake up day 2 in the tipi & my left eye is killing me. Feels full of sand & very irritated. I put my contact lenses in & discomfort goes away. Hunt that morning unsuccessful & break down camp & head home. Get an hour into the roadtrip home & begin experiencing extreme sensitivity to sunlight even with sunglasses on. 2 hours from home & my eye begins watering uncontrollably. Barely make it home & get contact lenses out take some pain pills slam a few Beers take a shower & wife took me to the ER.

Doctor diagnosed me with “Photokeratitis” which is “Welders FlashBurn”. Or slight damage to eye from extreme UV light. He said the UV rays at Sunset through binoculars most likely was the cause. DOC got me on some good eye drops & antibiotic ointment. He said that the damage to my eye was minimal in the Retinal Scan. I’m doing way better today!

As mentioned above Just wanted to share this experience with the group in hopes of getting this passed on to other hunters out there so it never happens to you……..

Binos: Bushnell Legend L series 10x42
We’re you looking AT the sun?

Marble

WKR
The way its been described to me basically a sunburn to your eyes. It should go away in a few days so I've been told.

On days after storms where it's sunny and there is snow on the ground I'll carry my polarized sunglasses. This was after a recommendation from my eye doctor.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

S-3 ranch

WKR
IMO, eye lubricants like soothe or genteel should be part of your 1st aide kit, along with a small eye flush kit,
can’t tell you how many times it’s come in handy when my hunters have
gotten dirt , bark , sand , sun burn eyes
its miserable

I saw a hunter get some metal shavings in his eye and a bottle of water and some lube saved his eyes and Hunt

OP
Montucky

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m 100% recovered. Left eye is back to normal as of Wednesday, & probably gonna ditch my eye glasses & put the contacts back in tomorrow

OP
Montucky

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
Now I’m attempting to convince wife it’s time to upgrade to UV resistant glass from our European Neighbors……LoL

MojaveJim

FNG
You can thinly slice raw potato & put over your eyelids if you think you have burned yours eyes. Old welders trick that does work.

Marble

WKR
Now I’m attempting to convince wife it’s time to upgrade to UV resistant glass from our European Neighbors……LoL
Great idea!

Keep in mind it also the reflected light that will get you. So if you're on snow or water you'll have to be creative.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

I'm glad it was temporary for you! I ended up with permanent sun damage to my eyes after spending a couple years in the big sandbox overseas. I had a nice pair of aviator sunglasses but didn't like to wear them all the time. Whoops!

Now I get to wear presciption sunglasses all the time! Unless it's really overcast, of course, then my transition lenses do fine. Even artificial light hurts my eyes if it's too bright or blueish-white colored.

Pros:
- Sometimes people think I look cool wearing sunglasses indoors.
- I can barely tell the difference between premium and budget scope glass so I save money.

Cons:
- Sometimes people think I look like a sex predator or douchebag when I wear sunglasses indoors.
- My eyes are freaking ruined!!!

Wear proper sunglasses, guys!

Hahaha

I’m pretty sure the same thing happened to me just last week after glassing at high altitude for 2 days. Are there uv filters available for binos? I can wear my shades and glass, but it’s definitely a compromise…

Symptoms and timing were exactly as described above. Pain is gone this am, but still a little blurry as I work on my second cup of coffee…

OP
Montucky

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
I’m pretty sure the same thing happened to me just last week after glassing at high altitude for 2 days. Are there uv filters available for binos? I can wear my shades and glass, but it’s definitely a compromise…

Symptoms and timing were exactly as described above. Pain is gone this am, but still a little blurry as I work on my second cup of coffee…
I’m still researching the UV blocking technology available on market. This topic doesn’t seem to be discussed much.

Glad you rebounded fast like I did. I’m paranoid AF glassing now…..

In further reading, the multitudes of glass in any pair of binos should absorb basically all UV. My exposure must have been from time spent with my shades on my forehead like a dummy.

I have light blue peepers and am religious about wearing quality shades normally, Will be more careful in the future for sure. Have found nothing better than blue glass costas for my preference.

Eye is still a little blurry, but getting better…