Exped ultra 5R vs 7R

Bak222

FNG
Working on my first winter sleep system. Going 3rd rifle in CO, so temps can vary from -10 to 40, but typically pretty cold at night. Here’s what I have so far, let me know what I’m missing. I think all I need is a pad which is my current debate

Tent- SO twilight with fire mat floor
Stove- winnerwell fast fold stove
Sleeping bag- zenbivy UL 10 and UL 10 sheet.
Sleep pad-?

I typically use a SO Marty mcmat foam for protection under my pad. I’m leaning towards the exped ultra 5R on top of my SO mat, but not sure if that’s warm enough. Is the exped 7R worth the 5 oz weight penalty, or you think the 5R with the foam mat will be sufficient? Also open to any other cold camping tips!

Thanks!

I haven’t taken it down to -10 but I have the 7r and used a 0 degree quilt a few years ago on a late hunt woke up and it was 10 degrees the pad did not disappoint me I also sleep great on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bak222

FNG
I haven’t taken it down to -10 but I have the 7r and used a 0 degree quilt a few years ago on a late hunt woke up and it was 10 degrees the pad did not disappoint me I also sleep great on it

Thanks for the input. That’s pry what I’m leaning towards. I’d prefer the weight of the 5r, but would rather sacrifice the 5 oz, over the comfort and not realizing it’s not enough until I’m out there.

Get the 7R pad. I used mine this winter with a 0 degree C bag when it was -20. Only part of me that was warm was resting on the pad. The pad is loud, but very warm.

The only reason I’ve kicked around the idea of another pad in September elk when I don’t need all the insulation and I know it won’t get down that low but for now the 7 is working great

atmat

WKR
The only reason I’ve kicked around the idea of another pad in September elk when I don’t need all the insulation and I know it won’t get down that low but for now the 7 is working great

I don’t do much hunting in September, so I can’t speak to that. But I’ve camped in some warmer temps and wasn’t hot in the Exped 7r so long as I wasn’t bundling up with clothes/quilt.

I don’t do much hunting in September, so I can’t speak to that. But I’ve camped in some warmer temps and wasn’t hot in the Exped 7r so long as I wasn’t bundling up with clothes/quilt.

Yeah it’s never caused me to be uncomfortable just thinking of the weight and maybe save some space more then anything and then I realize that little bit of weight is not going to be the reason I don’t make to where I need to go

Cyril

FNG
7R. Two years ago in third season, we had minus 11 first night. I was toasty warm with 7R and 0 degree WM bag.

OP
B

Bak222

FNG
7R. Two years ago in third season, we had minus 11 first night. I was toasty warm with 7R and 0 degree WM bag.
I was there that year, but I was in a toasty wall tent with wood burners. This will be our first year spiking out so I’m trying to get it all figured out