Exo vrs. Mystery Ranch

hflier

WKR
I have owned both and I would say the EXO is by far the better choice. MR packs are bullet proof, but not nearly as comfortable and they weigh a lot! It seems to me their development has stalled over the last few years. I would rate an MR at about 6/10 and an EXO at 8.5/10.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I haven't tried the Exo.......but I've done a lot with an MR Metcalf. The stripped down bag design has been awesome. It's heavy and I wanted to sell mine......but really hard to go for a couple pounds weight loss given the comfort under heavy load. I'm not saying the Exo can't......but there's a reason the MR's are comfortable under extreme weight, and why they are built the way they are.

Kotaman

WKR
I've owned both and while there is nothing wrong with the EXO, the MR is a superior pack IMO. If the NICE frame fits you, it is a bombproof system. One of my favorite set ups for horseback hunts as the pack doesn't sit up so high. The EXO is a much lighter design and works great for a lighter pack. You want bomb proof? Go MR...You want lightweight? Go Exo...

Ozzymodel70

Lil-Rokslider
I have owned both and I would say the EXO is by far the better choice. MR packs are bullet proof, but not nearly as comfortable and they weigh a lot! It seems to me their development has stalled over the last few years. I would rate an MR at about 6/10 and an EXO at 8.5/10.
I had both but have a totally different opinion. I kept my metcalf I don't mind there development, wouldn't want them to change a thing. and to be honest i could not tell the difference in a few lbs while on my back. company's like MR and Kifaru set the standards with customer service. either pack would be a good choice.

twall13

WKR
Another vote for the Exo, but I've never used the MR so take it for what it's worth. I'm loving my Exo!

Like others on this forum, I have owned both. A MR long bow, and a crew cab. I've also owned the gen one EXO and now the 2015 new version. Like already stated the MR packs are bomb proof but heavy. My new Exo weighed in on my scale at 4 pounds 4 ounces. I've packed elk with the 2014 model EXO and it felt as good as any pack I've ever owned Mr or Kifaru. For me my vote would be the EXO all the way. The 2015 pack is a dream, couldn't be happier.

sneaky

"DADDY"
I have an EXO and have played around some with the MR packs. Only thing that bums me is that MR is moving a lot of their production offshore for next year and I'm a buy American kind of guy. Good news is that the price will come down some on the MR stuff but still...hard for me to overlook that part. IF I were to pick up an MR pack I would make sure I had one of the sewn in MT bags for sure.

There is simply no way to be certain which of these two packs suits you better unless you do a head-to-head comparison with both. That's what I did and it made my decision a lot easier. Short of that it boils down to an informed decision, and you hope you end up with the better of the two.

Only thing that bums me is that MR is moving a lot of their production offshore for next year and I'm a buy American kind of guy. Good news is that the price will come down some on the MR stuff but still...hard for me to overlook that part.
Man, that sucks. Hopefully some of the other USA made packs don't follow suit. As for lower prices, I'll believe it when I see it. Companies rarely go overseas to pass the savings onto the customer.

Ozzymodel70

Lil-Rokslider
I have an EXO and have played around some with the MR packs. Only thing that bums me is that MR is moving a lot of their production offshore for next year and I'm a buy American kind of guy. Good news is that the price will come down some on the MR stuff but still...hard for me to overlook that part. IF I were to pick up an MR pack I would make sure I had one of the sewn in MT bags for sure.

Only on there recreational packs there hunting line will still be made in the USA

stephen b

WKR
Man, that sucks. Hopefully some of the other USA made packs don't follow suit. As for lower prices, I'll believe it when I see it. Companies rarely go overseas to pass the savings onto the customer.

I know that most companies do not pass on the savings to the customer- but MR actually did lower their prices on the overseas made packs. I bought a few years ago a MR Glacier pack that my wife uses; it was USA made and MR price that I bought it for was $435. Now that pack is made overseas and they sell it for $349, and I see any of the other packs that were made here are now less for the foreign made ones.

But, you are right in that most companies do not pass those savings on to the customer.

ElkNut1

WKR
I've messed with Mystery packs a few years back, tough pack for sure. A bit heavy but solid. I've been using the Exo & like this pack much better, tough as nails for us & just picked up two new ones, this is one to consider for sure!

ElkNut1