Exo Mountain Gear K4 Pack Review ***Updated 3/28/23***

Anybody else think the K4 frame and suspension is starting to look a lot more like Kifaru? Bigger lumber pad and hip belt, molle accessory system, composite stays, etc. I think the packs are awesome but I couldn’t help but notice the similarities.
The k4 still has that comfy exo thing going on, like they always have, and think it’s going to be just as good with the mega heavy loads. All of the little details on the k4 are awesome too, and a way more intuitive meat shelf. Still a fair amount lighter for equal pack size as well.

Last year I was torn on my favorite pack, the k2 with a k3 belt, or my kifaru.. the exo is noticeably lighter, not a big deal in practical terms, much more comfortable in hunting mode

Kifaru was a little better with the really heavy loads, It seems the k4 keeps everything I like about exo and I think it will be just as good as kifaru for those really heavy packs… they weren’t that different in that regard, and wasn’t a complaint of mine, but they pretty much broke the tie with the k4 for me

I can’t wait to get mine in hand to solidify my feelings on it, but I am excited about it. The one I tried on with some weight in it was a little long in the yoke and it still felt good, the new belt and lumbar is pretty sick

Fyi I'm a pudgy 6ft 230, 36x32 but a tall torso
I ordered a 26.5 with a medium belt.
Jakey told me k4 mediums are 1" bigger then k3

sr80

WKR
Anybody else think the K4 frame and suspension is starting to look a lot more like Kifaru? Bigger lumber pad and hip belt, molle accessory system, composite stays, etc. I think the packs are awesome but I couldn’t help but notice the similarities.
kifaru belts and suspensions are very comfortable to some like me. but their bags are lacking big time, in my opinion. Exo bags look well designed so its best of both worlds scenario or me.

kifaru belts and suspensions are very comfortable to some like me. but their bags are lacking big time, in my opinion. Exo bags look well designed so its best of both worlds scenario or me.
Yup this is spot on. I agree the exo belt is looking a lot more like kifaru which is a good thing because kifaru belts were best in class. I couldn’t agree more kifaru bags just are not great. Lids are bulky and don’t really fit the pack as well.

The k4 still has that comfy exo thing going on, like they always have, and think it’s going to be just as good with the mega heavy loads. All of the little details on the k4 are awesome too, and a way more intuitive meat shelf. Still a fair amount lighter for equal pack size as well.

Last year I was torn on my favorite pack, the k2 with a k3 belt, or my kifaru.. the exo is noticeably lighter, not a big deal in practical terms, much more comfortable in hunting mode

Kifaru was a little better with the really heavy loads, It seems the k4 keeps everything I like about exo and I think it will be just as good as kifaru for those really heavy packs… they weren’t that different in that regard, and wasn’t a complaint of mine, but they pretty much broke the tie with the k4 for me

I can’t wait to get mine in hand to solidify my feelings on it, but I am excited about it. The one I tried on with some weight in it was a little long in the yoke and it still felt good, the new belt and lumbar is pretty sick
Yeah I think I’m planning on keeping my 26” Kifaru frame for those really heavy loads or crazy long trips and sell my 24” frame to get an Exo 5000. I like having one lighter weight pack setup for run and gun and the weight savings of the Exo is pretty nice. Plus, the bag design is just so sleek and simple. I should have just pre-ordered one at the expo.

Randy1833

FNG
Thanks for posting Justin. Interested in seeing the 7200 loaded out, even if it’s not weighted, just sleeping bags or loose material. Trying to picture how massive that bag is. Definitely in the 5000-7200 category. Thanks for your effort.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting Justin. Interested in seeing the 7200 loaded out, even if it’s not weighted, just sleeping bags or loose material. Trying to picture how massive that bag is. Definitely in the 5000-7200 category. Thanks for your effort.
I'll try to get photos of the bags loaded tonight.

mcseal2

WKR
I'm pretty much set on getting a K4 5000 in a solid color before my next trip to AK. I'm still using my K2 3500 and have no complaints with it's comfort or function. I would like more room on my next one. I love the way my K2 flexes laterally but has vertical rigidity when just hunting. My Kifaru is a 2017 or so tactical frame I got for the moose hunt. It's great for really big or awkward loads, but not as comfortable the other 90% of the time as the Exo.

I had one scenario where a buddy took off after some caribou with just my rangefinding binos and his rifle after I'd tagged out. He was successful and I ended up packing his pack strapped to mine quite a ways to where he shot his bull. I wished then I'd have had the extra space in my bag to move most of his heavy items in there, make a better packing and less awkward load. Carrying that moderate load across tundra in a very awkward, off balance way sucked far more than the actual meat pack out with everything properly distributed. I can fit more than I need for the day even in AK in my 3500, but the extra capacity would be nice when plans and loads change.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty much set on getting a K4 5000 in a solid color before my next trip to AK. I'm still using my K2 3500 and have no complaints with it's comfort or function. I would like more room on my next one. I love the way my K2 flexes laterally but has vertical rigidity when just hunting. My Kifaru is a 2017 or so tactical frame I got for the moose hunt. It's great for really big or awkward loads, but not as comfortable the other 90% of the time as the Exo.

I had one scenario where a buddy took off after some caribou with just my rangefinding binos and his rifle after I'd tagged out. He was successful and I ended up packing his pack strapped to mine quite a ways to where he shot his bull. I wished then I'd have had the extra space in my bag to move most of his heavy items in there, make a better packing and less awkward load. Carrying that moderate load across tundra in a very awkward, off balance way sucked far more than the actual meat pack out with everything properly distributed. I can fit more than I need for the day even in AK in my 3500, but the extra capacity would be nice when plans and loads change.
This right here is why I tend to favor larger bags. I've had similar times where it was really nice to have a huge bag to shove stuff into.

On an elk hunt in November a few years back, my brother shot a bull way down in a hole. There were four of us to split everything for the pack out which would have been ideal. But my brother-in-law hurt his back and couldn't pack when we got down there. Luckily I had my Kifaru T1 (7200 cu inches) so I was able to easily fit 150 lbs of meat inside.

It was not so easy to pack the load though and my brother and I would constantly trade packs until we made the 2K ft climb up and out.

DeBear

FNG
I’ve been using EXO for years now , love the quality of their bags. It’s kind of minor but I don’t like the gray straps they used on recent bags, reminded me of the cheap gray Chinese bags I’ve seen.
Glad they are going away from that

Hi Justin do you have the pics of the 7200 loaded out? I’m in the same boat as @Randy1833 going back and forth on a 5000-7200 bag. Thank you in advance.

Probably leaning toward the 7200 if it cinches down pretty well for smaller loads.

sr80

WKR
Hi Justin do you have the pics of the 7200 loaded out? I’m in the same boat as @Randy1833 going back and forth on a 5000-7200 bag. Thank you in advance.

Probably leaning toward the 7200 if it cinches down pretty well for smaller loads.
im in the same boat, im sure i could get ten days out of the 5K but usually i lean towards bigger bags. curious to see how well the 7K packs down for day use.

im in the same boat, im sure i could get ten days out of the 5K but usually i lean towards bigger bags. curious to see how well the 7K packs down for

Here are some pics from Mark's AK goat hunt last year. In all the pics the Coyote Brown pack is a 7200 and the Ranger packs were 5000's. The photos span an 8 day hunt so you see the pack fully loaded in some and also about half full in other pics. I'll post up a photo here soon of a 7200 empty.

Card 3 Edited-124.jpgCard 3 Edited-16.jpgCard 3 Edited-142.jpgCard 3 Edited-29.jpg