Exo K3 Frame VS Stone Glacier XCurve

OP
North

North

FNG
This thread was never intended to be a review or detailed comparison of the frames. That’s why it’s so “vague.” I’m not making a grand declaration of a winner. If you actually go back and read the thread from the beginning, I started the thread to ask if anyone had compared the XCurve and K3. I did not have the Exo at the time. No one had tried both, so I ordered the K3 and figured anyone following would be interested in knowing my initial impressions because there aren’t many comparisons, if any, out there. I didn’t just hop on and say “well guys, the Exo is the best!” based on trying it on in my living room. I was very clear about that. I’d love to get out and test them more. I will. But I’m sick and busy. It’s like I went into a store, tried on 3 pairs of boots, one felt more comfortable, and I told some people what I thought. It was never meant to be a 10 year torture test of all 3 packs.

i have experience with kifaru and EXO k2,k3
never tried a SG
id like to though

IMO the k2 was way better for me in every aspect than a kifaru(multiple frames) empty light or heavy IMO ...NO COMPARISON
i now have the k3 and still have k2 and it is better than the k2 for sure
k2 is no slouch though.....
the lunbar pad does not slip like the k2(slightly) did on me, it stays high and tight
the new belt on the k3 is very nice and adjustable as well, also the frame extensions to raise and lower the frame height is GENIUS,,, and it works as advertised, the velcro that holds bag to frame again GENIUS
people need try a EXO you will love it.
these packs are awesome,,not for everyone I'm sure,, but i sold all kifaru packs after wearing k2 for one hike, not even close for me...
so far this year i have packed out 2 Bulls, 1 deer, with the k3
one load out was front and hind quarter(bull)
im not a big guy 5'10 185lbs 49years old
its a heavy load,, but VERY COMFORTABLE with the k3
the EXO is very simple,, it doesn't need to be so complicated.
its a great pack

after all the packing, pack still functions properly does not make any noise, great simple pack

i do think that a shelf would help the k3/k2 keep the load higher, if the load slips down any pack will be uncomfortable,,, but its not nescessary, take extra time to get the load set in perfect.....

i think next load i put in it i will load upside down, meat on bone, keep it higher

all my hunting partners that have tried the pack have immediately purchased one

just my opinion

lots of good choices

never tried a SG
id like to though

IMO the k2 was way better for me in every aspect than a kifaru(multiple frames) empty light or heavy IMO ...NO COMPARISON

lots of good choices

which Kifaru frames did you use? have you used the new one Duplex lite or ultra lite?

i had a hunter frame, tac frame, and the duplex lite.
i think they are great packs for sure,, best i had ever tried, the EXO just fits me way better
i would like to try a SG

my experience with both is this

K2 60lbs and less no moving at all, very comfortable, no movement,, cinch it down and it stayed put..
in 2018 i hauled bone in front and hind quarter elk out 3 miles no problem, maybe 3 times over the 3 miles i had to adjust the belt and raise the load higher, never taking pack off

K3 i never had to adjust the belt at all i used it up this year as well
20 days with 20-30lbs 8-14 mile days
2 Bull elk packed out , of the two elk pack outs,, 2 loads were probably to heavy for this 49 year old guy,, but the EXO is very comfy with any weight,, its just gravity that becomes the problem
i loved those kifaru packs,, i honestly was shocked how well i liked the EXO after i first go the k2, fit me perfect..

What is comfortable in your living room with 50 lbs may be a lot different than at 10,000' on a 45 degree, rocky slope after 10 miles of hiking for 5 straight days! Also, which frame and bag are going to hold up after 5 or 10 years of super harsh use?

I can understand what you are saying but it is super vague without a better description and real life field experience and comparison of all 3. All of us are looking forward to a true to life field report with a lot better description and details.

Rokslide made me believe the Kifaru had to be better than the rest so I bought a gen 2 duplex with aluminum and ultralite stays. Long story short, it was never a good fit despite trying different belt sizes, different stays, bending the aluminum stays a bunch of different ways, etc. It did not stay up on my hips well and ultimately didn't handle weight as well as the exo K2 i had at the time or the Seek Outside revo frame and SG Xcurve i've bought since.

I don't doubt the claims of many folks on this site that kifaru packs handle weight better than the others for them, but they don't for everybody. I'd take an exo, SG, or SO frame over the gen 2 duplex frame I had.

Jimss

WKR
I guess what I'm saying is a pack could be super comfortable in a living room but once on super steep slopes it could be a nightmare! I've had several packs like that over the years. Just because a pack starts out comfortable doesn't mean it's going to endure years of hard use and abuse.

If you are satisfied with the EXO...go for it!

I guess what I'm saying is a pack could be super comfortable in a living room but once on super steep slopes it could be a nightmare! I've had several packs like that over the years. Just because a pack starts out comfortable doesn't mean it's going to endure years of hard use and abuse.

If you are satisfied with the EXO...go for it!

Jim,

I think what is is trying to be conveyed here is any of the top 3 or 4 packs will all perform equally well when fit properly to that body type. All the top companies have life time warranty so to say one is not as durable is guessing based on look and feel. I agree Kifaru seems more beefy and heavier, however there are guys running the other brands 200 days a year and have no failures.

Last year I actually tested all three (Exo, Kifaru and SG) at the same time. 50 - 80lbs loads over a 3 mile trail. The Exo was the most comfortable and the SG stayed on my hips the best. the Kifaru felt the least comfortable due to the shoulder straps. The shoulder straps of the other two were by far and away more comfortable.

So again, what fits you and works best for you may not for someone else.

Jimss

WKR
Fins n Tins, I agree with you 100%.

Thanks for your post! Your's carries a lot more clout than someone that loads up a pack in their livingroom and merely states that a pack is more comfortable than others. I know that everyone's body is different and what works for one guy may not work for the next. I'll also stand by my previous posts that it essential to try them out in various field situations.

i packed out several elk and deer with my kifaru packs
great packs no denying it
but the EXO for me was way more comfortable, the k2 and now the k3
i COMPLETELY agree with fins n tines about kifaru shoulder straps
the shoulder straps were not good at all IMO

never tried a SG
id like to though

the lunbar pad does not slip like the k2(slightly) did on me, it stays high and tight
the new belt on the k3 is very nice and adjustable as well, also the frame extensions to raise and lower the frame height is GENIUS,,, and it works as advertised, the velcro that holds bag to frame again GENIUS
people need try a EXO you will love it.
these packs are awesome,,not for everyone I'm sure,, but i sold all kifaru packs after wearing k2 for one hike, not even close for me...
so far this year i have packed out 2 Bulls, 1 deer, with the k3
one load out was front and hind quarter(bull)
im not a big guy 5'10 185lbs 49years old
its a heavy load,, but VERY COMFORTABLE with the k3
the EXO is very simple,, it doesn't need to be so complicated.
its a great pack

after all the packing, pack still functions properly does not make any noise, great simple pack

i do think that a shelf would help the k3/k2 keep the load higher, if the load slips down any pack will be uncomfortable,,, but its not nescessary, take extra time to get the load set in perfect.....

i think next load i put in it i will load upside down, meat on bone, keep it higher

all my hunting partners that have tried the pack have immediately purchased one

just my opinion

lots of good choices
Do you think that the new k3 belt for the k2 frame would fix the the slipping you experienced with the k2 frame? I ask because I'm looking at getting an EXO pack but I'm not sure I want to drop the coin on a k3. I'd rather be able to fix what's wrong with the k2 frame by just buying a k3 hip belt instead of the k3 frame.

Do you think that the new k3 belt for the k2 frame would fix the the slipping you experienced with the k2 frame? I ask because I'm looking at getting an EXO pack but I'm not sure I want to drop the coin on a k3. I'd rather be able to fix what's wrong with the k2 frame by just buying a k3 hip belt instead of the k3 frame.

ya it most likely would,, i would try that for sure if i had a k2 already and money was a issue, the belt is better for sure.