Excessive Cam Lean?

Looking for some guidelines of when cam lean becomes "excessive". The arrow I'm shooting comes out of Archer's Advantage as being slightly stiff, but I was getting weak tears out of the bow. I'm wondering if I should move up a spine or potentially focus on shooting with a more neutral grip since my bow tech was able to get a bullet hole immediately, but when I shot, it tore weak.

Bow is a Hoyt Helix Ultra at 67#, 30'' draw. Arrows are 300 spine RIP TKOs, 29'' carbon-to-carbon, 190 grains of point weight (90 grains of ethics components and 100 grain tip), standard 9 grain nocks, and AAE Max stealth vanes three-fletched.

When I lay an arrow on the cam, it crosses my string about halfway between my peep and where the string comes out of the top cam. Rest appears to be set at 13/16'' off the riser. Broadheads flew out of the bow stupidly good this past fall. I was hitting right with my field points out to 80 yards.

I'm wondering if the cam lean I have is excessive to get the bow in tune and if I should try tuning the arrow to the bow instead of vice-versa. Also, can Hoyt cams be shimmed? Thanks in advance!

Osubuck

FNG
Looking for some guidelines of when cam lean becomes "excessive". The arrow I'm shooting comes out of Archer's Advantage as being slightly stiff, but I was getting weak tears out of the bow. I'm wondering if I should move up a spine or potentially focus on shooting with a more neutral grip since my bow tech was able to get a bullet hole immediately, but when I shot, it tore weak.

Bow is a Hoyt Helix Ultra at 67#, 30'' draw. Arrows are 300 spine RIP TKOs, 29'' carbon-to-carbon, 190 grains of point weight (90 grains of ethics components and 100 grain tip), standard 9 grain nocks, and AAE Max stealth vanes three-fletched.

When I lay an arrow on the cam, it crosses my string about halfway between my peep and where the string comes out of the top cam. Rest appears to be set at 13/16'' off the riser. Broadheads flew out of the bow stupidly good this past fall. I was hitting right with my field points out to 80 yards.

I'm wondering if the cam lean I have is excessive to get the bow in tune and if I should try tuning the arrow to the bow instead of vice-versa. Also, can Hoyt cams be shimmed? Thanks in advance!
Hoyts you need to twist the cable yoke. Gold Tip has a good series on YouTube to help you. Here is one their diagrams to address what your issue is I think.

Attachments

• 5ECD1951-0909-43CD-A96C-78C32D0621EC.jpeg
    5ECD1951-0909-43CD-A96C-78C32D0621EC.jpeg
    89.6 KB · Views: 13

SDHNTR

WKR
I don’t want any cam lean at all! That’s why I prefer bows with fixed yokes. Twist it out.

But your answer could likely be in your grip too. That’s a very common culprit. A neutral torque free grip is always preferred.

Broadheads flew out of the bow stupidly good this past fall. I was hitting right with my field points out to 80 yards.
If that's still the case, quit worrying and just keep shooting the bow as is. Broadheads hitting with field points is the goal of tuning.

When does cam lean become "excessive"? When the string derails or the stops miss the cable ;). If neither of those is happening, I'd say your cam lean is fine. It's perfectly normal for there to be visible lean either at full draw or at brace (or possibly both).

The "nock left tear = arrow is too weak, nock right tear = arrow is too stiff" (for a right-handed shooter) advice applies to traditional bows shot with fingers but doesn't have much relevance to a modern compound with a center cut riser shot with a mechanical release. qSpine says your 300's are near perfect anyway. If you're convinced that your arrow might be weak and causing a problem, take a turn out of your limb bolts to lower the poundage and see if anything improves.

Bow inputs: 334 fps IBO, 67# DW, 30" DL, 34" ATA, 6.375" BH, 85% LO
Arrow inputs: 29" C2C, 100 gr point, 90 gr insert, 9 gr nock, 3 vanes @ 8.8 gr ea
Screenshot_20220305-202038_qSpine.jpg

If that's still the case, quit worrying and just keep shooting the bow as is. Broadheads hitting with field points is the goal of tuning.

When does cam lean become "excessive"? When the string derails or the stops miss the cable ;). If neither of those is happening, I'd say your cam lean is fine. It's perfectly normal for there to be visible lean either at full draw or at brace (or possibly both).

The "nock left tear = arrow is too weak, nock right tear = arrow is too stiff" (for a right-handed shooter) advice applies to traditional bows shot with fingers but doesn't have much relevance to a modern compound with a center cut riser shot with a mechanical release. qSpine says your 300's are near perfect anyway. If you're convinced that your arrow might be weak and causing a problem, take a turn out of your limb bolts to lower the poundage and see if anything improves.

Bow inputs: 334 fps IBO, 67# DW, 30" DL, 34" ATA, 6.375" BH, 85% LO
Arrow inputs: 29" C2C, 100 gr point, 90 gr insert, 9 gr nock, 3 vanes @ 8.8 gr ea
View attachment 387725

This.

Underspined in a centershot compound is just irratic.
And it's different for a target bow versus one with broadheads on the front. I'll go way weak for targets, go full male enhancement on hunting.

• Haha
Reactions: Zac