Encore 209x45

92xj

WKR
I just received my muzzleloader that I used when I lived/hunted in the south. I haven't done any muzzleloading hunting or shooting in 15 years, so pretty much starting fresh.

For the folks who shoot 45 cals, where are you buying your supplies; looks like 45 is almost not a thing anymore.
My memory is vague, but I think I remember shooting 3 pellets of 777 behind whatever package of bullets I found at the outdoor store at the time.
I am assuming there is now something better than the 777 pellets as far as power goes?

Also, after pulling the breach plug, I see that my uncle took zero care of it and there is some rust in the hole. I found a few replacement plugs online, but they all either said out of stock or backordered. What can I soak the plug in to try and clean it up?

Are the current muzzleloading supplies going through the same thing that reloading for rifles went through last year?

What is the "best" recommended sight? I will clearly be pulling my 2.5-10 scope off the gun to hunt with here, unless I use it doing rifle season.

And, after all that...would I be ahead in the long run to sell the 45 and get a 50 barrel? Seems like 50 cal stuff is in stock and easily accessible.

If you want to shoot pellets and not pour charges, .50 cal stuff if much easier to find. Soak the plug in Kroil and find a VERY light fitting drill bit and turn by hand to try to get the rust out.

OP
92xj

92xj

WKR
Thanks.
I am open to shooting any powder and if loose loose is easier to source and shoots good, it works for me.
Any recommendations on projectiles?

Thanks.
I am open to shooting any powder and if loose loose is easier to source and shoots good, it works for me.
Any recommendations on projectiles?
BlachHorn209 powder 100gr by volume, under a Barnes .40 Expander 195gr if you can find them. Fairly easy to find the TC .40cal SST bullets, I use both in .45 Harvester light blue sabots, same charge volume.