Elk tagging application process

Junibravo

FNG
I live in IL and am pretty new to western hunting and am planning to apply for elk tags this year.
I am looking at WY, CO, NM and UT and possible a couple more states.
I can only take one week off for elk hunting. My question is if i get lucky and draw tags in more than one state, how does that play out? I know from last year that NM charges the whole price up front and wont refund the money if u forfeit a tag u have drawn. Are other states the same?
Also are there improved drawing odds if using an outfitter in any states other than NM? I will be using an outfitter since i am pretty clueless about western hunts, might as well as use that to my advantage for draw odds if possible.

SDHNTR

WKR
Every state’s tag application and return process is different. This info is out there on each state’s website.

cjdewese

WKR
I know it's not a popular take here for some reason but check out randy Newberg videos on tag application process. He does a good job of trying to lay it all out in my opinion.

I know it's not a popular take here for some reason .

The reason is the outdoor whores have made it so no one can draw a tag anymore.

Millions of people figured out how to hunt for millions of years before the whores came along to monetize the internet.

If you can't figure out how to apply by yourself, your probably not sharp enough to be trusted in the woods alone.

sndmn11

WKR
In Colorado you forfeit the points or the tag cost, you can't get both back. There is a processing fee and you have to do so at least 30 days before the season starts.

wapitibob

WKR
The reason is the outdoor whores have made it so no one can draw a tag anymore.

Millions of people figured out how to hunt for millions of years before the whores came along to monetize the internet.

If you can't figure out how to apply by yourself, your probably not sharp enough to be trusted in the woods alone.

If you can't draw a tag because of some video you probably shouldn't be in the woods.

Last edited:

wapitibob

WKR
it’s frustrating , when I am asking for advice and a nonsense comment is followed up, seems like a YouTube video is the only place to look at for advise ?
op keep up the seeking, and best o luck,
in for useful information

Gohunt is the best place for the ops question. As far a pay up front, a properly formatted google inquiry will often lead you to the answers before a forum reply. Google is probably the best, first place to start for most of these questions.

google "states that require hunting tag fees up front"

OP
J

Junibravo

FNG
Thank you folks. Gohunt was a useful resource/link. Answered my question to some degree. Seems like the rest i will have to figure out with some trial and error.

SDHNTR

WKR
Thank you folks. Gohunt was a useful resource/link. Answered my question to some degree. Seems like the rest i will have to figure out with some trial and error.
What? Trial and error? No! The stakes are too high to risk error! Tags are expensive. You answer is simple, and I already answered it. Each state has a fish and game website. Each state has a big game booklet or proclamation you can download. All your answers are there. You just have to put forth a little effort to find and read! There is no need to guess at this.

What’s frustrating are the guys looking for Shortcuts, and the Internet pandering to them.

What answers, are not in the big game regulations brochure, for example, in Colorado? The regulations brochure is part of the Colorado Parks and wildlife website, just click the link. Otherwise, not gonna find all your answers by browsing the website you gotta go to the right place within the website. Or, clutch the pearls, make a phone call to the state you need clarification from.

I must be old enough to be old-school. There is an etiquette and respect of not asking others to give up their favorite fishing hole. And I would not expect someone to ask specifics of where I caught my stringer of fish.

Hang18

FNG
Geez, some of you, don't you think your a little hard on us rookies? I'm from the northeast & not lazy, but, this application & zone stuff is a little daunting. I think we get overwhelmed & look for any sources to (hopefully) get us "on track". That's why I signed up with Rokslide; gain knowledge & get help.

TreeWalking

Lil-Rokslider
If you can't draw a tag because of some video you probably shouldn't be in the woods.
This. Anyone pissing and moaning about being stuck in wanting things to never change is better off staying at home rather than interacting with society. News flash: Stuff changes, for better and worse, everyday. My great grandmother spent hours a day just to chop wood for the wood stove, cook on a cast iron stove even in summer heat, draw water out of the well to warm then wash dishes, clean out the ashes from the stove, scrub clothes in a wash tub and hang on a line, warm water on stove to fill the claw foot tub for a weekly bath, use oil lamps since electrification was slow to reach the rural areas, etc. Compare that to today and some country woman is bitching how the young ladies don't know how to use an axe or cook using a dutch oven or use lye soap. Just stop with the attitude you belong to a guild and want to keep out the next guy who shows up after you. You had years to gather info and apply the "real, earned way" so learn to embrace the new normal that is easier in some ways, harder in other. Adapt. Adopt. Or, perish.