Elk Hunting First Timer

DH_TX

FNG
First time poster here. Looks like there is a lot of great information here, but thought I would see if anyone had specific recommendations for elk hunting resources, books, websites or apps that I should be checking out as a newbie.

I think I would like to do a CO DIY public land hunt, but also have been looking into Drop Camp options. I know it probably varies with unit and outfitters, but any general feedback on DIY vs Drop Camp for first timers?

Drop camps often are low quality. Outfitters focus on the more lucrative guided hunts. If an area is first rate, guided hunters will be taken there so what does that mean for drop camps? Many areas get pounded around the drop camp due to the number of clients. Most I know would recommend DIY and fully guided if you want to go that route.

Lots of good info to soak up here. Randy Newberg has good material. ElkNut app and podcast if you're an archery guy.

Get after it. Elk hunting is crazy fun.

Wackedo

FNG
Also check out Corey Jacobson’s elk101. It’s $100, but provides a great one stop place for pretty much everything you need. There’s lots of good resources here, on other forums, and YouTube. Good luck! Elk hunting is a blast!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

not all drop camp outfitters provide guided services. some specialize in drop camps.
Yes, good point and these drop camps could be much better where the incentives aren't all wrong.

Is that pretty common in Colorado? Most all of the outfitters here in Idaho offer guided services.

GregB

WKR
I think at the end of the hunt you would have a bigger sense of accomplishment having done it DIY. Plus if you're packed back into a drop camp you're committed to that area as far out as you can hike. If you go DIY you can stay more mobile and move if you are not finding elk in one area.

elkdog

Lil-Rokslider
Elknut has some good solid information, and I second the elk 101 course.

I made my first otc elk hunt plans off of the info provided by the state on Their website and was successful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jpugs

Lil-Rokslider
You can also look into doing a DIY Drop camp with your own gear. I did this my first elk hunt, coming from the east never been hiking with a full pack at altitude etc etc... I found a unit I wanted to hunt and just called guide after guide until I found one who was willing to take us in on horse & drop us off at a spot that I personally picked out. I Packed up my exo, got on the horse and was at the location I wanted to be in no time. Saved me the hassle of packing in, especially saved a ton of leg power & time. I had camp set and was out hunting that evening, moved camp a few miles on day 4. It was an awesome time and enjoyable hunt doing it that way and we humped it out ourselves back to the truck on day 9. I'm glad I chose the horse ride in for my first hunt. Having our own gear was a huge role in our hunt, if we were stuck in a traditional wall tent, we would have not been into elk like we were, unless we wanted to hike 3.5 hours in the dark each AM and back in the PM just to get remotely close to where the elk were. I'm glad I chose to bring our on gear, if not and we paid all that money for a regular wall tent drop camp - It is very easy to get a shit spot in my opinion. Since then I just pack in myself but for the first time, it was little money well spent for just a horse ride in to your self picked location. Most of all have fun and I would shoot the first legal elk. Good luck on your decision & hunt.

Dr. Rx

Lil-Rokslider
There's a bunch of smart guys on this forum.. listen wisely for their advice..

You need field experience..read a ton, get in great shape, shoot your weapon of choice with confidence and accuracy, and just go hunt!

You will soon discover how difficult this actually is.

If your goal is to get an elk on your own, there is a steep learning curve..

I my self am a newbie as well..

I've been at this for 4 years, yet to put an elk down..been close...but I'm learning every time I'm out there..

Welcome aboard

Kris

bz_711

WKR
spend a lot of time reading threads on this website...then move to State websites to get more specific info on regs.
Ultimately I would recommend a truck style camp for your first try and I'd suggest going DIY. Truck camping allows more options for moving around during the week and trying new areas...your first year there is so much to just learn, both about the unit/area, but also the elk, and just about hunting in such big landscape.
Get good boots, a decent pack and learn to navigate with either GPS or your smart phone (with offline maps)...then just get a tent and supplies and go for it. Continue to ask more pointed questions on rokslide...I've gotten a lot a great help over the years...and like to pay it back now as well...
Have a blast...

Elk 101 Elk University and goHUNT have been awesome for me. So my info piled into one spot, it's easy to get a good grasp on what goes on in the elk world. If you look around there are coupons out there. Podcasts are awesome too. You get tons of real life tips and a few secrets to success here and there.

We had some luck in our first DIY hunt in CO last year. Like a lot of the guys said, informative podcasts and the state websites (like the Colorado Hunting Atlas) were helpful. I do think that the most beneficial thing for us was spending some time in the area before the hunt to put a game plan together. Best of luck

OP
D

DH_TX

FNG
Looks like we will be going the DIY route.

Thanks again for all info.

OP
D

DH_TX

FNG
For those that have done the elk101 university online course, I was wondering how long it takes to get through all the material? I saw there was 17 modules/38 chapters and looks pretty comprehensive so I am assuming it takes a pretty good while.

TBHasler

WKR
I did the course last year and I know it has been updated with some new content/videos but was still about 17 sections. Took me about 6-8 hours in total. That was 2-3 hrs at one sitting and others where I only had 45mins or so to get through a single section. Honestly, the pace doesn’t matter - they key is to get through it all and then give yourself enough time to go back through some of the most important sections.
I gained a ton of knowledge and “real world” application of what this course taught by revisiting the 101 course content over my 6-8 month training and prep for my first elk hunt. You can read and research on this site and go back and revisit much of the course content and see real life examples of what is often discussed on this forum.
If your contemplating the course, I would suggest doing it for sure - we’ll worth the money. And, now is about the right time to start for the 2019 season(s).
Best of luck

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
wildmeadows