Elk Hunting Books

jmez

WKR
Need some reading material for the offseason. Anyone recommend any good elk hunting books?

Lukem

WKR
While not a hunting book, I could loan you a copy of Elk Ecology and Management by Towiell and Thomas if you wanted. Maybe it's not that long of an offseason...

Straight6

FNG
+1 on Radical Elk Hunting Strategies. I grew up reading Mike's writings and watching his movies, got me hooked on elk for life, still some good info.

I have a copy of Elk Ecology and Management, its not exactly light reading, but probably the best resource if you want to understand elk and their biology and habits. Its pretty much like a college text book, but lots of good info.

I also like Bowhunting Modern Elk, by Patrick Meitin, some great info mainly for bowhunting, but good general elk info too.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
What does the Elk Ecology and Management book use as a species name for the elk found in North America?

Lukem

WKR
What does the Elk Ecology and Management book use as a species name for the elk found in North America?
Cervus elaphus canadensis is the Rocky Mtn/Roosies/Manitoba and C.e.nannodes for the Tule. You have to read the entire taxonomy chapter to figure that out. O'Gara goes through the process that the scientific names went through, but not necessarily the political reasons for the changes. Elk/red deer are a lumper/splitter nightmare.

OP
jmez

jmez

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I just ordered the Elk Ecology and Mangement book. That is really the kind of stuff I am after. Also ordered the Lapinski book.

Anyone else interested you can get the Elk Ecology and Management book used on Amazon for $20.

123 4/8 P&Y

Lil-Rokslider
Cervus elaphus canadensis is the Rocky Mtn/Roosies/Manitoba and C.e.nannodes for the Tule. You have to read the entire taxonomy chapter to figure that out. O'Gara goes through the process that the scientific names went through, but not necessarily the political reasons for the changes. Elk/red deer are a lumper/splitter nightmare.

Cool thanks. I took a North American mammalogy class in college and I learned it as just Cervus elaphus. I wonder if the instructor didn't know the subspecies was canadensis, or if he just didn't care.

Straight6

FNG
If you found Elk Ecology and Management for $20 you got a deal, mine was like $80 just after it came out, or maybe I should have looked harder. If you like this kind of book search for The Elk of North America by Olaus J Murie, he was considered one of the first authorities on elk. Elk Country by Valerius Geist is really good too and has some amazing photography.

Elk Hunting The West is actually pretty good, I haven't been a huge fan of Mike Eastman's writing for the most part, but his elk book and antelope books are well done I think.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
I was also wondering if the difference between the two editions justifies the price. I would like to read it but am hard pressed to spend that kind of dough on the 2002 edition.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Go down to the library and see if they can get it for you. They have an exchange program and can get text books usually. I used to do this in college when only needed to read it once

While not a hunting book, I could loan you a copy of Elk Ecology and Management by Towiell and Thomas if you wanted. Maybe it's not that long of an offseason...

highly recommend this one. #1 for obvious reasons. it's a little dry at times but what a reference to have available.

dotman

WKR
If you found Elk Ecology and Management for $20 you got a deal, mine was like $80 just after it came out, or maybe I should have looked harder. If you like this kind of book search for The Elk of North America by Olaus J Murie, he was considered one of the first authorities on elk. Elk Country by Valerius Geist is really good too and has some amazing photography.

Elk Hunting The West is actually pretty good, I haven't been a huge fan of Mike Eastman's writing for the most part, but his elk book and antelope books are well done I think.

Best deal I found currently http://www.wildlifemanagementinstitute.org/store/product.php?productid=16162