Elk calling- when bugling what bull are you trying to sound like?

HookUp

WKR
Just picked up a couple rocky mountain calls bugle tubes. I am getting a decent bugle but am perplexed what diaphram I should be using. The call makers all have raghorn, adult and herd bull diaphrams. What elk are you trying to sound like? Does it vary for the time of the rut or do you have a favorite you use all season?

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Elknut has a bunch of good stuff too.

Elk101 supposedly teaches everything but I can't speak from personal experience on that.

I'm not a great caller but I'd say it's largely situational.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I change up what sounds I'm making, but what bull I am probably doesn't change much. So given that, I'm either stealing the herd bulls cows......or I'm challenging the herd bull. So I guess I'm not a raghorn.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I just try to sound as realistic as possible but not the Badest dude on the hillside until I get in a screaming match up close and personal👊

Logan T

WKR
Pretty much what Ross said. I try to sound like a bull that just kind of got up and is stretching until it is go time with them up close. Just s bugle, no chuckles. When it's go time it depends but there's usually a growly bugle with some chuckles or glunks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
Keep it simple! Use one single reed for all your sounds, this is very important during those close encounters, it's no time to be fumbling around your pockets for a specific reed for a specific sound. My two favorites are the Mistress & the All Star, both have their pluses & both are great. They are great for making every sound a cow or bull makes. You can sound like any sized bull you'd like to with enough practice.

When using a Bugle & Reed for Location purposes I try to to hit the highest note possible so it is far reaching, I'm trying to locate elk at this time not call them to me, you need a fairly tight stretched reed to accomplish this. When Advertising or Challenging Bugles are needed these same two reeds are great for this as well. Be as big as you possibly can when imitating bull sounds within reason, this means don't blow your reed out or over blow your bugle to where you start losing believable tones. Most hunters are not nearly as big sounding as they think they are especially after a 100 yards+ away from other elk. This is why it's good to sound as big as you can in a controllable tone. Big does not always mean loud, it's all about the sound choice you choose that can demonstrate to other elk if you you are a somewhat mature bull. For the most part bigger more mature sounds are better to other elk, it's more believable. Bulls do not walk around in the woods thinking they need to sound small so they do not run other bulls off & neither should we! (grin)

So, choose a single reed like the All Star or Mistress & you'll be well on your way through practice with some awesome elk calling! Good luck!

ElkNut1

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Bulls do not walk around in the woods thinking they need to sound small so they do not run other bulls off & neither should we!

Good point, Paul.

IMO I'm just another bull on the mountain, and hopefully interesting enough to get one to respond.......or come check me out. Until I need to show something, then I'll show them I'm more than a valid threat.

diesel7

Banned
I like to sound like a small bull invading a heard bulls territory. It really pisses them off, and I have had good success bringing in some nice ones. I have a primos horn, can't remember which one, but it sounds like a rag horn.

OP
HookUp

HookUp

WKR
I found one of Corey Jacobson's seminars on youtube. He says to use a non-threatening location bugle and a challenge bugle. Sounds like I'll need to experiment to see what gets the best results. Thanks for the replies.

PA 5-0

WKR
I found one of Corey Jacobson's seminars on youtube. He says to use a non-threatening location bugle and a challenge bugle. Sounds like I'll need to experiment to see what gets the best results. Thanks for the replies.

Corey is an awesome caller. Watch his videos. Learn the location bugle and the challenge. Very different. Then watch a Primos elk hunting video. You'll see countless examples of both. Locate'm, move in and blow the challenge. You'll get run over!!

I recommend you check out the Elk Module, etc. at Elk Hunting Instructional Videos / Elk Hunting Tips and Tactics
... when it comes to elk biology and elk calling/hunting, Chris is the real deal

Also, I recommend checking out the bugling strategies discussed by Joel Turner ... a Google search will turn up some stuff, as well as a search of threads here on Rokslide ... Joel is definitely on to something with his bugling tactics

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

WYO_ATL

Lil-Rokslider
I use the same call to bugle with that I use for cow calling. I think it's a primos double reed

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

ElkNut1

WKR
HookUp, yes both a Location bugle & a Challenge bugle as well as others are used on a yearly basis by both elk & us hunters. Location bugles are non-threatning by the user (man or elk) but not all bulls on the receiving end view them that way! (grin) Location bugles are used for locating or finding other elk the same as you could locate elk with binos, outside of that that's their sole purpose, it's not intended to call bulls to you although it can happen at times.

A Challenge bugle is used by bulls to warn or intimidate other bulls that are too close to their harem, this bugle can be used by any bull but is most often heard from a bull with cows especially if he has a cow in or near estrus. Both bugles have their place, used at the right time & they can be very effective. No testing really required, use the right one at the right time! (grin)

ElkNut1

ElkBoss

FNG
lot of great questions. Id highly recommend you check out Roes hunting resource and sign up for his tutorials. Im no pro but I had many same question you had. Terry teaches you a wealth of information on how to speak Elk. He has it down to a science and is extremely helpful. Check him out. Online elk hunting, deer hunting, and turkey hunting instructional videos PLUS landowner services, field lessons, and more!

Agreed, Chris has lots of good stuff. ElkNut has some pretty good stuff too. For me, I've studied Chris Roe, ElkNut, Corey Jacobson, Joel Turner, etc...they all have good points...The PRINCIPLES are in there with all of them, even though some of its different. I think its more about the hitting the right notes with right emotion than the "how big" you sound. Last year I had a bull come in that was so whistle-ey that I would have sworn he was a spike, but ended up being a decent 5x6.

ElkNut1

WKR
Yes, lots of info these days provided on the Internet & all have very good Instruction, just remember it's all about cutting down the learning curve to a degree, nothing replaces boots on the ground in elk country along with a strong mental attitude to succeed!

It's like reading info on Golf, instruction is needed but you need to play the game to work on your weak points! Golf has a way of showing you what they are real quick as does elk hunting! (grin)

ElkNut1