Closed

Hey RS Crew,

I'm researching Archery OTC elk and looking up hunts on Go Hunt.

I found a few units South Colorado that look good but are a majority priviate land.

Looking for good land with plenty of access.

Last edited:
Hey RS Crew,

I'm researching Archery OTC elk and looking up hunts on Go Hunt. Trying to maximize my scouting to areas with good classes of elk starting my class size filtering 285+ and are also public accsessible. I found a few units South Colorado that look good but are a majority priviate land.

I like hutning hard and can pack deep. I'm willing to go deep an my fitness is great. Any insight on good areas to work and scout are open to me. I'm a dedicated hunter and focused on using all my best tools for the hunt. Inclduing glassing, spot and stalk ect.
If you truly have the fitness and the willingness to put in the work IMHO you're putting too much effort into the wrong question. Pick a unit with a 7% success rate and out scout/work 93% of the competition. Time spent choosing a unit is time wasted thwt you could be scouting/working that land.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tapatalk

Speck1

Lil-Rokslider
Time spent in those units is the only way to find what you are looking for. 285+ class bulls are few and far between where I hunt.

OP
ArrowFlight
If you truly have the fitness and the willingness to put in the work IMHO you're putting too much effort into the wrong question. Pick a unit with a 7% success rate and out scout/work 93% of the competition. Time spent choosing a unit is time wasted thwt you could be scouting/working that land.

Sent from my SM-S918U1 using Tap

OP
ArrowFlight
I agree with that. Time in the woods seals the deal.

There's a few things I'll adjust to get to areas with a good approach. Review burns and vegitation.

Thanks

Jaquomo

WKR
Whenever I learn a new area, and that has happened too often recently due to fires and beetlekill deadfall, I'm learning on the fly during the season. Figuring out where the other hunters are so I can figure out where the elk will be. Sometimes I move my camp four or five times during the season, over a 500 square mile area (over a 500 square mile area last year)

This is despite being able to scout from 30 minutes to two hours from home. No matter how much research you do, everything changes on opening day.

Pick a unit, narrow it down, and go for it.

Idaboy

WKR
In Colorado for non residnent OTC at archery, is the tag good for any OTC unit? Or just the unit/cluster of units for that area, was reading regs and couldn't tell....so any of the Gray units, an OTC archery hunt can be done/move to any of these units?

Attachments

• IMG_3711.jpeg
    IMG_3711.jpeg
    355.4 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

Hnthrdr

WKR
Listen to @Jaquomo I am very familiar with a few units, which is great but other hunters can drastically change my plan A,B,C,D… every season I’m learning a new drainage, finding new wallows, sometimes leaving old wallows that dried up ect…

Idaboy

WKR
Thanks....all the nuance with each state gets a little confusing at times

Hey RS Crew,

I'm researching Archery OTC elk and looking up hunts on Go Hunt.

I found a few units South Colorado that look good but are a majority priviate land.

Looking for good land with plenty of access.
Good luck man. Unless you're paying, people aren't really helpful on forums

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
Good luck man. Unless you're paying, people aren't really helpful on forums

Disagree. I've learned a ton from many differnt folks across various forums, and have helped many in return.

The difference is, I dont come out swinging looking for a handout for a hunting spot.

That info is best won the old fashioned way. Hard work and time invested.

Isn't that best part of hunting anyways. The challenge of taking on new terrain and finding what you seek vs someone holding your hand and leading you.