Elk and SpitFire 100 Grain Max Broadheads & elk

Hoyt24

FNG
Does anyone have any personal experience good or bad with a Spitfire 100 grain Max on elk?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Pass through?

No. It was hard quartering away and buried into the offside shoulder on a big 6x6. I've also used the similar GR Fatal Steel 1.5" cut and that didn't passthrough on a very slight quartering to shot right in the > on another 6x6. But it appears that it went through the bottom of the shoulder blade on entry and then it hit the offside elbow that was right up against the hide and stopped. But the bull went down in 2.5 seconds and was done. That was a 526gr arrow at 296fps.

Entrance2.jpg

wapitibob

WKR
yep, all good
Original Spitfire 125, maxx is too large.

caveat... they're not a spine or scapula head so put it where it belongs and they'll die quick. Bleed like a stuck pig too.

Does anyone have any personal experience good or bad with a Spitfire 100 grain Max on elk?

Great question; I’m curious too. I shoot that exact head all day on whitetail with my setup, but the Western guys have me second-guessing that on elk, if not muleys and antelope too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
No. It was hard quartering away and buried into the offside shoulder on a big 6x6. I've also used the similar GR Fatal Steel 1.5" cut and that didn't passthrough on a very slight quartering to shot right in the > on another 6x6. But it appears that it went through the bottom of the shoulder blade on entry and then it hit the offside elbow that was right up against the hide and stopped. But the bull went down in 2.5 seconds and was done. That was a 526gr arrow at 296fps.

View attachment 93147
Good info thank you very much!

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
yep, all good
Original Spitfire 125, maxx is too large.

caveat... they're not a spine or scapula head so put it where it belongs and they'll die quick. Bleed like a stuck pig too.
Good stuff! THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

I’ve had 3 pass throughs on my last 3 bulls with 100 grain spitfires but like others have mentioned I wouldn’t go with the Maxx.

OP
Hoyt24

Hoyt24

FNG
I’ve had 3 pass throughs on my last 3 bulls with 100 grain spitfires but like others have mentioned I wouldn’t go with the Maxx.

100 Grain standard Spitfire it is! thank you!