elk and muley

vtmooser

FNG
I'm planning on a elk hunt this fall (oct. 1-5) on a private ranch(CMU) in Utah. Is it worth the expense to add a mule deer tag to the hunt and tagging out on both in 5 days.

Soj51hopeful

Lil-Rokslider
Are you trying to ask if it’s a reasonable expectation to fill both tags? Or is it worth the money for a deer tag?

If it were me and i was hunting a private ranch, id spend the extra money on a deer tag and just focus completely on elk. if a deer i like gave the opportunity take it. But id prioritize one of the species personally and except you may eat one or both tags. Or you could fill both.
Edit: that is all assuming you talked to the rancher and theres deer there

If I'm spending your money, sure. Take a buddy and buy his tags too!

Only you can answer your own personal finance questions.

I think the better question would be how those specific tags are priced relative to others with similar harvest odds and trophy quality, and would it be wise to pursue both given a fixed date range? To answer that, people would need very specific details and pricing on your specific hunt...

OP
V

vtmooser

FNG
It's $10.000 for the elk hunt and another $6,000 for the mule deer. The outfitter says we could tag out in 5 days. But would also like us to book the mule deer hunt back to back 10 days total for $9.000 with less pressure on the elk hunt

10k for the elk, and another 9k if you stretch the hunt out for both to 10 days vs 10k for the elk and 6k for the muley if you do it all in 5 days?

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
All contingent on how big the Muley oppportunity is and if you have killed any? Chance at a 200 inch buy it, average stuff 150 pass and just focus on your elk🤙 If 6k no big deal buy it and maximize your hunt .

OP
V

vtmooser

FNG
That's why I'm leaning towards the combo hunt. Alot of other hunters say when you see elk there's always a mule deer around on the same hunt. Forgot to mention this will be my first elk ,traveling from the east coast and I'm pushing 70 yrs,old.

That's why I'm leaning towards the combo hunt. Alot of other hunters say when you see elk there's always a mule deer around on the same hunt. Forgot to mention this will be my first elk ,traveling from the east coast and I'm pushing 70 yrs,old.
If this is your last western hunt Then do it. If you are not too worried about killing Boone and Crockett sized animals you should be fine with a 6point 300”+ bull and a 4 point 150”+ muley.

If you are truly trophy hunting then definitely more time the better, and focusing all the time on one animal.

Elk and mule deer are often in the same units, though not in the same locations.

If you can afford it and it's something you'd like to do, why the hell not. It's not like your getting any younger.

At your age, do em both if you can afford it! I'd rather die with memories than live with dreams.

cstab

FNG

If I was in your shoes with the money to spend, I’m definitely doing both.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sako76

WKR
I hunted Utah CWMU in 2020 for elk. It was a rifle bugle hunt and it was a full moon. I killed a small elk on the last day. The only deer I saw was on the 4th night, 30" mule and it crossed right in front of the side by side and fed in a meadow about 60 yards away, duck soup.

The reason I didn't see many mulies is because they were a lot higher up than the elk. The add on for the mule deer was $8500, I didn't do it. The guys deer hunting the ranch next to us shot one monster that I saw and his buddy blew the front leg off another monster and it ran on private property and his hunt was over. A third hunter was hunting to the same ranch that I was and didn't see many big deer. He killed a monster on the last night.

If you are 70 and this is your first elk/deer hunt and you can I afford it absolutely buy the deer hunt. Good luck!