Elk 2nd Estrus?

kscowboy01

Lil-Rokslider
Yesterday morning, a friend watched a bull mount a cow. I know whitetails are known to cycle again if they didn't get bred the first cycle. I've shot my two biggest whitetails after the rut chasing fawns that were cycling late. Maybe what he saw was a calf that cycled? Just seems odd for this time of the year in Colorado. Thoughts?

Last edited:

ElkNut1

WKR
4th cycle at present! 1st - is end of Aug. 2nd - third week of Sept. 3rd - is mid Oct. 4th - in Nov. -- Right place right time & you can experience all 4.

ElkNut

h2so4

WKR
I heard a good number of bugles on Friday in Colorado. From a couple of different bulls trying to get in on a group of cows.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes the 3rd and 4th estrus can be super intense, if caught right as the competition for the very few cows not bred, will have intense competition for that very short window of opportunity🤙

S.Clancy

WKR
We've seen rutting bulls a fair amount in early November in eastern MT. I think a big reason for this is the elk population is growing rapidly, so many cows are young cows and they tend to be the ones that cycle late.