Elevated Rest

GLB

WKR
For those of you that went from shooting off the shelf to a elevated rest, how much more forgiving has it made your setup? Besides the tuning ease and potential to better arrow flight, are you finding it more forgiving in awkward shooting position, string torque, bad release and etc.??

Because I love all archery I have a ILF bow to tinker with and currently have it setup shooting off the shelf, my plan is to put a elevated rest on it to see what that will bring.

Anyway interested in your experience on the forgiveness from a not so perfect shot that you may or may not get from a elevated rest vs off the shelf.

The difference is pretty substantial for me, particularly when shooting in field positions or heavy clothing that might make your form sub-optimal

Reactions: GLB
OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
The difference is pretty substantial for me, particularly when shooting in field positions or heavy clothing that might make your form sub-optimal
Have you found that the elevated rest was more sensitive to canting the bow as you would might find in a hunting situation?

Have you found that the elevated rest was more sensitive to canting the bow as you would might find in a hunting situation?
I’ve had mixed results, with my current weather rest setup there are no issues canting but with the brush rest I had there were some problems with it compared to off the shelf. That being said some of the issue could be that I have better form and can tune better than I could when I used the brush rest

mattflint

FNG
Elevated rest is a good bit more forgiving for sure. Ive shot magnetics with a plunger or a spring wire , soringy, and a nap centerest.
The mag rest and plunger proved the most forgiving, centerest was quiet and was easy.
if I was shooting an ilf bow Id have a centerest on it for sure.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
This will be interesting to see the differences since I have this bow shooting well off the shelf. I have a springy rest from Safari Tuff coming with a couple different spring weights so I’ll start with that.

This ILF bow is a good way for me to experiment without having to mess with my primary hunting bows. A good way to get it out of my system.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
I shoot off the shelf...but I have used a rest and its significantly more forgiving...

You know it is when the Trad tourneys around here all put those rests in a separate category....

I hear that on the categories. Alaska we don’t have a lot of 3D shoots and when I do go to one I take my hunting weight longbow anyway.

mattflint

FNG
This will be interesting to see the differences since I have this bow shooting well off the shelf. I have a springy rest from Safari Tuff coming with a couple different spring weights so I’ll start with that.

This ILF bow is a good way for me to experiment without having to mess with my primary hunting bows. A good way to get it out of my system.
I fear I need to set up another ilf or das bow for the very same reason.
I cant keep my hands off crap.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
👆🏼Yep I like to tinker and bought that bow just for that purpose. i usually keep 3 longbows hunting ready at all times.

ledflight

WKR
I stuck on a hoyt super rest on my A&H and the little white plastic looks terrible but holds up well and helps with consistency. They are surprisingly tough,

Used elevated rests for years on my traditional bows - first Bear Weather Rests then later Hoyt Hunters with the built in "plunger" tab. They definitely help arrow flight from a poor release more than off the shelf. But that said, my current setup is off the shelf and I am getting great broadhead flight as is. If not, I was going to put an elevated rest on the riser.

bksypder, we use the white plastic Hoyt Super Rests on the 4-H archery bows that are used by dozens of young kids every year. They are pretty hard on equipment, but that rest holds up great.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Shooting my PO at 32 yards today off the shelf With 1 bare , 2 fletched shafts. When my mind is right and a clean release this type of group shows up regularly. Once I get the elevated rest put on and tuned a I‘ll do a comparison.

Bivouac Backland ILF 56” bow

Attachments

• 28BF12EC-70FA-4ECB-AACB-F07C0B7134F9.jpeg
    28BF12EC-70FA-4ECB-AACB-F07C0B7134F9.jpeg
    598.1 KB · Views: 39

GregB

WKR
An elevated rest is substantially more forgiving provided everything else is good. I.E. I have a bow where the grip is just not right for me, an elevated rest makes it more forgiving but doesn't fix the problem. So there are some other factors to consider.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
An elevated rest is substantially more forgiving provided everything else is good. I.E. I have a bow where the grip is just not right for me, an elevated rest makes it more forgiving but doesn't fix the problem. So there are some other factors to consider.
Totally agree on the grip. I’m a longbow guy and generally don’t shoot recurves as well unless I have time to think my way through it. It’s the combination of the typical recurve grip and the soft feel at anchor.

GregB

WKR
Totally agree on the grip. I’m a longbow guy and generally don’t shoot recurves as well unless I have time to think my way through it. It’s the combination of the typical recurve grip and the soft feel at anchor.
Everything else being good I would recommend an elevated rest especially on on ILF. It's more forgiving and on an ILF you can use it to adjust tune. I use a springy rest on mine and you have to get some different weights to see what works best, but the springs are not very expensive. Once I have it figured I'll order a few spares just incase.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Got my springy rest from Safari Tuff installed starting with the 30 oz spring. Waiting on the 25 oz spring to show up. Talking to Randy Cooling he felt that it would be more forgiving. Shot through paper and bare shaft groups with fletched at 30 yards.

Right off the bat I could tell that this will be much more forgiving vs off the shelf. But the cool thing is I’m able to keep my off the shelf setup in place. I’ll shoot the 30 oz spring for a week and then try the 25 oz spring to see which is the most forgiving.

Attachments

• 76F50D29-0841-4CA1-B2A9-0512882233D8.jpeg
    76F50D29-0841-4CA1-B2A9-0512882233D8.jpeg
    166.9 KB · Views: 27
  • 0989C6C5-9792-4C61-A72D-18FFD4D7B785.jpeg
    0989C6C5-9792-4C61-A72D-18FFD4D7B785.jpeg
    191.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 94208FAC-EA33-4220-B849-70D518C368BF.jpeg
    94208FAC-EA33-4220-B849-70D518C368BF.jpeg
    259.4 KB · Views: 26
Ordered a one piece chinook from Toelke, Dan told me not to put a rest on it and it’s made to shoot off the shelf? Anyone shoot a chinook better of the shelf or a rest?

oldgoat

WKR
Ordered a one piece chinook from Toelke, Dan told me not to put a rest on it and it’s made to shoot off the shelf? Anyone shoot a chinook better of the shelf or a rest?
I don't have a Chinook but have a buttload of other Toelkes I shoot off the shelf, I'd listen to Dan, his bows aren't really tillered for an elevated rest, with the Ilf's you can adjust the tiller for it, and obviously the bows designed and tillered for them you can too.

OP
GLB

GLB

WKR
Personally I wouldn’t put a elevated rest on a wood bow like that (Just me) However I bet you could make it work with a 1/2”-5/8” nock height.