Electronic ear plugs

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for recommendations on electronic ear plugs which I can use while hunting . I shoot a muzzle break on my 7mm RM and need a good set of ear plugs that I can wear continuously on my hunt. Any first hand experience with brand and model would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and good luck this hunting season

kopecsean

FNG
Super cheap. I just put these around my neck and put on before my shot. I wear them non stop. Light and always there.
f1df5b801f25ec40a6f1c69dc30810dd.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

kopecsean

FNG
Sorry I can't find a manufacturer. I bought them at Home Depot they are pretty common just a few dollars. I shoot the same rifle, with a break, and it is ungodly loud. I was using these at the range two weekends ago developed a load for that rifle and all sounded good.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

brsnow

WKR
I have the ones above but also have Howard leighton bolt earmuffs. The neck ones are back up for the muffs. I see people running marathons with earmuff headphones so I have hiked with them and not too bad. At the end of the day I will pass up a shot if I don’t have protection in place.

OP
R

Ronin75

Lil-Rokslider
if I keep electronic ear plugs on all the time I need to be able to hear rattle snakes. Last week was my 8th encounter with one. No bites yet and I want to keep it that way.

wilydawg

Lil-Rokslider
Here's what I got. https://www.espamerica.com/dynamic/ I almost cried over the price when I bought them, but they are AWESOME! Put them in and you have hearing protection, and amplified sound. You go to an audiologist and get a hearing test. He also takes a mold of your ears. They custom fit and tune each protector to your ears and enhance frequencies that your hearing is compromised in. So basically these are high end hearing aids that stop damage as well. Like I said pricey, but I've used everything else imaginable and these are by far the most effective and comfortable... if you look around on shooting sites the reviews will speak for themselves...

Boardmstr

FNG
Just a heads up for those of you who run ear pro, anything is most certainly better than nothing while out hunting with a break, but any other time I’m shooting I double up with ear plugs and the over the ear Muff style. Doing the research shows even at full listed value, neither one single handedly reduces the mood enough to below chronic hearing damage levels. It’s also very hard to get an ear plug perfectly in place to utilize their full rating. All that time fishing with an old hard of hearing vet made me take a hard look at how much I took my hearing for granted. That being said, I bought the Westone Defendear for hunting but had trouble getting them to work properly and gave up. It looks like there are some nice options that have come out in the last year. I’ll be looking for something as well.

gwl79902

WKR
I got some walker silencer rechargeable ones. I have only used them once. They work well but I am not totally sold on them yet.

I also got a pair of surefire sonic buds. They are just regular ear buds but they do allow you to hear ok. I use them bird hunt and I like them. I use them in my left ear only and it seems to work ok.

Obsessed1

Lil-Rokslider
I run pro ear stealth. Rechargeable, barely know your wearing them. Volume control happy so far

When I was looking a few years ago for a set to wear while upland hunting, my research pointed me towards etymotic. They’ve been great so far. My rifles are all suppressed, so I don’t where them rifle hunting. I always double up ear pro at the range though, even if it’s just me shooting suppressed.

Last edited:
ESP electronic units noted above have worked very well for upland hunting for my wife and I since around 1999. They appear to still offer the same style and are outwardly look like the $900 version shown on the link. That said I use plugs and/or muffs at the range for superior protection. Good Luck!

Rusty85

WKR
Soundgear is the best I’ve used. I bought them after hearing several guys over at long range hunting forum talk about them. I bought the industrial rated model off their recommendations
. B6C8AFEC-8C97-455E-87F7-CA0761915200.png

Mosby

WKR
This is a timely subject. I have been looking at options as well. I think my hearing is starting to go and I need to do something about it. I have started wearing ear protection when mowing the lawn, trimming etc. Anything with an engine but I need something for hunting before things get worse. My mag has a muzzle break and it is loud. I was thinking about simply taking foam plugs, but I need to think about investing in more of a long term solution.

Wanted to give a plug to Soundgear as Rusty85 mentioned above. I have a pair I bought in 2016 (the industrial version). Haven't used them much, but in the last year it seemed like one of the units wasn't turning on even with new batteries. I sent them in and although they tested OK there, they are sending me a complimentary new pair.

So, their customer service is A+

As others have mentioned, I don't rely on them by themselves for repetitive shooting or range shooting, but for wearing in the stand or on a stalk they are very helpful. It's nice to have them in, be able to hear, but also ready to make a quick shot when needed.

I learned my lesson the hard way a few years ago and have permanent ringing especially in my left ear ever since.

Mosby

WKR
I am trying these Peltor ear plugs. Not specific for hunting but I liked the color and the specs seemed fine to me. I got them in the mail right before I left for Colorado. Used them for a few days this year. Could hear planes over head and talking with them in was fine. I am going to take them to the range with me to test them further.