Eddie Bauer - Puffy 5+ oz fill

n2horns

WKR
I just picked up an Eddie Bauer puffy jacket filled with 800 downtek. Talked with customer service and the fill amounts for L is 5.36 and XL is 5.74 ounces. I got the hooded version and it fits the head/face very well. It is more of a snug fit with a comfort elastic banding to keep it tight to the face as not to allow air in. The picture on the site is representative of what you get. I have a LL Bean UL 850 down which is to be about 4.2 ounces. and the LL Bean seemed more puffy and a tad bit looser cut.

The vest of version of the jacket with or without hood, the vest fill for Large is 2.89 and XL is 3.15 ounces.

Looking for alternatives at better price points that some of the camo companies. I rather use down for my insulation, however the new Kuiu (2015 insulation) looks to be promising. I never hike in my jackets and rather have something warmer I can also double up and use for sleeping if it gets too cold. I am also looking at the Golite Bitterroot, but waiting to see if the price drops on that first.

http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/d...Outerwear&previousPage=FNAV&tab=men&color=175

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the Info- I ordered a hooded version for $145 over the weekend. The price is hard to beat can't wait to give it a try.

OP
n2horns

n2horns

WKR
I ordered a non hooded version and vest. Should go well with hooded version.

bjaegers

Lil-Rokslider
I received the jacket yesterday- I think EB claim that this jacket has 5+ oz of Down Fill is BS. My WM Flight has 4.5oz and seems like it has twice as much down would be a rough estimate- EB has 3oz or less. I will keep the jacket for the price and everyday wear, I liked the fit and shell material seems durable for a puffy. Other observations stitching is sewn all the way through, would also guess this jacket would work well for sitting in 30+ deg temps but not below.

I order the M and M Tall, I will be keeping the M. I'm 6' 170lbs for size reference.

Beendare

WKR
Yeah, call me skeptical of the waterproof down. I've had a Cabelas Prima Loft puffy jacket I've used for probably 8 years from the islands in Ak to the rockies and midwest and its been great- plus its in tall. I just sent back one of the big name puffys as it fit like a wading jacket with short sleeves. 6'3", 235,customer service told me the piece is sized to fit under their other jackets.

Just bought another cabelas puffy for $38

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bit of jacket junkie, and own 8 or 9 down jackets from a few different companies. I prefer the fit of the Eddie Bauer/First Ascent ones over any of my others, however the newest one I ordered(about a month ago) has significantly less loft than the previous generations. It's unfortunate if they've cut back since going with the "Storm-proof" down. With that said, I do really like the Microtherm Hoodies for layering under/over. They offer good warmth for their weight/size, the hood fits well, and they pack down to nothing when you need to shed a layer when you're on the move. For extreme cold, I still reach for my Outdoor Research Transcendent.