Ebikes and “bike in” camps

So last year I purchased an ebike and I’ve been enjoying using it when it’s legal. This got me to thinking, however, that surely some guys do a bike in style camp similar to how some ATV guys will. My wife ended up buying a bike trailer for her bike so now I have a trailer… it’s starting to come together!

Anyway, I’d love to see your setups/camp photos and stories if you’ve done this before. Seems like it would be pretty cool where appropriate.

peddaling a camp in with a trailer works pretty good. I have had lots of success.
I have never used an ebike for this, i prefer to go where motorized can't.

bsnedeker

WKR
I've used mine with a trailer a few times to haul my daughter back to some spots to set up camp. Most of camp was on my back as she was in the trailer, but yeah, works pretty slick.

twall13

WKR
I used a mountain bike & trailer on an elk hunt for the first time last year. I plan on doing it again this year. Last year was my brothers LE Tag, this year it's mine. For this particular area I don't think it's any easier getting gear in with a mountain bike and trailer than it is just backpacking. It's a long slog mostly uphill to get to where we were hunting. Pulling the trailer through sage brush, ruts and rocks in a lot of areas so there's plenty of hike a bike happening. The payoff is when you get an elk down. It's 6+ miles downhill at that point. I helped pack 2 bulls off the mountain that way last year and it made a world of difference.

There was another guy hunting that area with an e-bike last year. He camped at the trailhead and biked in daily. I'd personally prefer to just get back there and camp but he enjoyed his camp trailer and easy access to where we were hunting. I called the forest service to ask about it this year and they said e-bikes aren't allowed in that area as they treat them as a motorized vehicle. They said they weren't aware people were using them last year but they are patrolling and issuing tickets this year. Make sure you know it's legal where you are hunting and I can see it being a great way to hunt/camp.

Im happy to have found this thread. @twall13, it seems that the forest service has labeled all e bikes as motorized vehicles this year. Same with BLM. See the link here. Im bummed, as I bought my bike just a month or so after this, not knowing that this had come out. Are there any areas that individual FS offices are allowing them?

I’m just amazed they weren’t classed as “motorized vehicles” from the get go.
Was very strange having folks say things like “anything below 750 watts” isn’t considered motorized.
Like as if you make the motor 1hp or less it doesn’t count.

Bike in camping can be a good method.

I agree with @rockwind1. I wish that BLM/Forest service had the Manpower to truly limit motor vehicle use.
I just returned from an idaho hunt in a unit with a motor vehicle restriction. Every day, I watched people drive their four wheelers and side x sides up roads that WERE NOT designated on the MVUM. It’s just like every other rule in life…. They only keep the honest, well; honest.
I have a 750W Ebike, and although it’s powerful and impressive, once you load up a camp and gear, it can be an extreme physical workout with any form of weight if you are on a trail with any sort of grade. You don’t just jump on an e bike and motor anywhere.