ebay rant

I've been looking for a target bow to shoot in the offseason and use as a backup hunting bow and settled on a bowtech reckoning 35. Found one on ebay starting at $650 with a buy it now at $850. Bow is pretty clean with a limb driven rest and an apex sight. Auction comes to an end and I am the only bidder winning at $650. I pay immediately and contact the seller to send the tracking when its available. He contacts me this morning saying he can't believe it sold so low and he's losing money on it, blah blah blah. I go back and forth with him and remind him that its an auction and its over and paid for. Scum bag just canceled the transaction for damaged goods and refunded my money. WTF. I'm going to blast this guy through feedback but is there any other recourse? WTF is wrong with people. Should have stayed off ebay, I know.

Broomd

WKR
I've been looking for a target bow to shoot in the offseason and use as a backup hunting bow and settled on a bowtech reckoning 35. Found one on ebay starting at $650 with a buy it now at $850. Bow is pretty clean with a limb driven rest and an apex sight. Auction comes to an end and I am the only bidder winning at $650. I pay immediately and contact the seller to send the tracking when its available. He contacts me this morning saying he can't believe it sold so low and he's losing money on it, blah blah blah. I go back and forth with him and remind him that its an auction and its over and paid for. Scum bag just canceled the transaction for damaged goods and refunded my money. WTF. I'm going to blast this guy through feedback but is there any other recourse? WTF is wrong with people. Should have stayed off ebay, I know.
Contact eBay, that scumbag violated the terms of agreeement and your email is important in that. He should be banned.

madgrad02

WKR
Yeah, unless he had it with a reserve, seems kind of shady... If you list it (without a reserve) and it sells, then it is what it is. I have had items pulled because they didn't meet a desired price and or were "sold locally" (though I believe that has been in several listings, but think it is an easy out to avoid issues like the OP had), but not after an auction closed and you proceeded with the purchase through eBay. To me, at that point, the sale is complete and you have some recourse with the seller and/or eBay. I have sold items and lost money (should have had more accurate shipping costs prior to sale) and lost money shipping, but again, it was sold and I honored that. Sorry you got burned.
I still frequently use eBay and luckily haven't had too many issues.

TSAMP

WKR
Isn't that what the reserve is for? Been awhile for me on there. I'll say. He didn't stand by his word but you got refunded. Scumbag seems harsh.

Contact eBay. You have emails showing that he lied to them to get the sale cancelled. He told them it was damaged. You have emails showing he didn’t like the sale price on a no reserve auction. If he doesn’t really use eBay he may not care. If he buys/sells a lot on there he may send the bow if they instruct him to.

I have bought/sold tons of stuff on there. Very very few issues
It really sounds like a douche bag problem, not an eBay problem

rclouse79

WKR
The same thing just happened to me, but on the other end. I had my pack listed locally for $300. I got impatient and decided to list on eBay with a starting bid of $275. In the past I have been shocked how much people have overbid when they get into a bidding war. There were 28 watchers, so I was hopeful going into the end of the auction but ended up with a single bid of $275. After I paid for shipping and eBay fees, I ended up netting $206, which I never would have sold the pack for locally. To make matters more interesting the buyer messaged me 5 days after he received the pack and asked if I would accept a return because the hip belt was too big. Luckily I was able to make him feel guilty about ordering the wrong size when the hip belt size was posted and he decided to try to find a different hip belt or resell it himself. I don't think I will be using eBay again any time soon after that experience.

OP
Jstumbaugh
This auction had 20+ watchers and I think he thought it was going to get into a bidding war as well.

Broomd

WKR
Isn't that what the reserve is for? Been awhile for me on there. I'll say. He didn't stand by his word but you got refunded. Scumbag seems harsh.
Nah, it's not harsh. He broke the rules, and those kinds of people are everywhere in society. "Victims." Disgusting.

I quit Ebay for the most part when they started charging tax about 6 years ago or so. Screw them. Only an extremely good bargain gets my attention there, it's simply not worth the time and sales tax expense otherwise.

Grumman

WKR
In the early days of eBay I had a buddy list a truck topper and he didn’t understand the need for or purpose of a reserve. It sold for $3. He stood behind it and the buyer came and picked it up and handed him three dollar bills.

I’m sorry for your bow fiasco that seller should have stood behind his auction and delivered on it. However with his actions you may have dodged a bullet. Condition or packaging may have been lacking as was his character.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Jstumbaugh
I’m sorry for your bow fiasco that seller should have stood behind his auction and delivered on it. However with his actions you may have dodged a bullet. Condition or packaging may have been lacking as was his character.
I did have that feeling in the back of my mind on how hard to push for the transaction to go through.

WCB

WKR
I would just give him a negative review...report it to ebay and be done with it. No way in hell I'd want the bow or to give that guy $650 bucks after that.

Venom One

WKR

Had the same thing happen on a pair of binos years ago. A BNIB set of binos suddenly got "damaged" when my winning bid was less than he wanted.

"blast this guy through feedback "
That's not going to accomplish anything. Chalk it up to a bad experience buying used goods via private party. You're not out any money.

I had a FIRM agreement to buy a vehicle from an individual at an agreed upon cash price at an exact time and day last year. He called me the day before and told me a COMPLETE lie about how he couldn't sell the vehicle anymore due to him buying a house. Creeped his wife's FB page and saw her public post with her standing next to her new car. Asshole traded the car into the dealer for the new one. I called him back pissed and called him out and all he could come back with was, "God knows me and he let's me sleep comfortably at night."

Point of my story is there are risks involved when trying to buy something used from a private party. No such thing as a done deal till money has changed hands and goods have arrived.

WoodBow

WKR
I once sold a vintage RC plane engine on ebay. Bidding was around $100 i think. I had a bidder message me and ask to buy it for $150. I declined, saying i believed the bidding would go over that. In the end that bidder won it for like $100. Good for him. Ya win some and ya lose some. I think they may have even offered to send me the extra $50, but i declined. They were very happy with their purchase and it was still a win for me because I had picked it up at a goodwill for $3.99!

ODB

WKR
Yup. Report him. If he actually complained about the final price he’s got zero legs to stand on.

And don’t take the bow if he offers it at this point. Hell just bang it up before sending.

Dwnw/theAltitudesickness

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately think we all eventually have this happen with online transactions, especially ebay auctions. Few years back had a tent bought and paid for on Ebay, seller did just what your seller did. In February had the official Sitka website (Sitkagear.com) cancel a backpack that was on sale 50% off, the cost was already in my pending transactions for my CC. After 5 emails to them, it became evident they were not going to stand by the sale price transaction and just refunded me.