Eastern Colorado Hunt Advice

nn76858

FNG
I am fairly new to the forum so I appreciate your time and any advice or insight in advance. I mostly read stuff and try to absorb......I live in North Carolina.....lifelong avid hunter and have worked on gulf stream fishing boats my whole life. I have been doing Diy spot and stalk whitetail hunts in Western Kansas for 6 years and have had decent success. I carried some Eastern Colorado guys fishing right before the deadline and the convinced to to apply for a Unit 90 muzzleloader tag as a 2nd choice(did not want to burn my 5 deer points on something i did not have a ton of knowledge on) I also applied for an antelope tag as a bonus because the seasons are close together. I am excited about the prospect and am supposed to have some local knowledge if i draw the tag. Curious as to if anyone here has muzzleloader hunted in that unit during that october time frame. If there was a better time during the month of october by their experience.........Im assuming the deer will be more on a bed to food pattern and riding and glassing will be what i spend most of my time doing.......but any intel or insight would be great as i have been around some mule deer in western kansas but never qith a tag in hand and in dec.........also im shooting a tc .50 cal encore that ive done a few mods to but would probably consider buying a custom bullet to bore barrel for increased accuracy with iron sights......i guess mostly curious about the timing of the hunt......pressure and caliber of deer in the unit. Thanks for any insight or advice.....

I would not come from North Carolina for either of those tags without private land lined up. I'm not sure if those are valid in other units but 90 is almost entirely private land.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
I second the private land thing; there are big bucks, but I usually don't see them until after pheasant season starts (rut in the second and third (and fourth) week of November) . You could spot them on this guys land, and they'd be on that guy's land within a minute. Pretty tough without permission on a BIG spread.. IMHO

OP
N

nn76858

FNG
Thanks for the response........they guys that fish with me told me they would have some ground lined up for me to hunt........but i understand what your saying about having access to a lot