Early Season Sheep & Glaciers

Ram94

WKR
I haven't seen it discussed anywhere here before and I myself haven't spent any time hunting near glaciers. My question is, do rams like to spend time near glaciers in the hot early season? Have glaciers been a point of interest for you while sheep hunting or are you prioritizing typical ram habitat (ie. escape terrain, feed, bluffs, cover). I would imagine they'd have a good amount of mineral deposits on and around them. What are your thoughts?

Tanner

WKR
In my experience, early season rams will go anywhere they can to get away from bugs. Windy ridges, up high, near the ice, etc. but that is obviously not the rule because I’ve also killed early season rams near the valley floors. I guess you can pretty much count on just finding rams where you find em!

Glaciers may create adjacent habitat... and they do like that. I've specifically hunted rams around glaciers twice, and even base camped on one . Based on my observations, I don't think the glaciers themselves are a draw, but the cirques and green slopes can be.

OP
Ram94

Ram94

WKR
Interesting! Thanks for the feedback guys. I've definitely found headwaters areas to hold good numbers of animals, and that would've been a glacier at some point so that checks out.

Tanner

WKR
Interesting! Thanks for the feedback guys. I've definitely found headwaters areas to hold good numbers of animals, and that would've been a glacier at some point so that checks out.
Headwater areas indeed have always been good to me as well.