Early Season Ideas

TodOz

FNG
So 3 of us planned a caribou hunt this year for early September. Then unit 23 was closed by the feds. While the future of our caribou hunt (won't happen this year but could happen later) is in jeapardy, we still want to do a trip this year (sometime August through mid October) with a solid success/opportunity rate. The primary problem is that it's getting late fast. Most draws have closed. Wyoming is closing soon. We've discussed possibility of doing a hunt for pronghorn, mule deer, gator/hog combo, or even oryx. Elk, moose etc would be awesome but likely out of our range.

Given our limitations, we're open to an outfitted hunt but would like to keep cost under $5k each (lower the better).

For antelope, I don't want to burn my Wyoming points so that limits us primarily to finding an outfitter with access to lots of private land in an easy to draw area. I'm finding that those are pretty much booked up.

Oryx is pretty much Texas ranch hunt as only option that I'm aware of and that's at the high end of our budget (likely more).

Mule deer is a hard one to find unless it's early archery in Nebraska or something like that. I don't mind archery but I get the sense that the other guys would prefer a rifle hunt. Maybe Alberta?

Anyhow, I thought I'd throw this out there in case someone knows about an opportunity (cancellation or something?) or has some ideas we haven't thought of. Heck, maybe this will help some others in a similar position. Thanks in advance.

Last edited: