Early Season Elk

I know most will point me to the direction of Aron's article... I've read it a few times and I'm sure I will continue to read it. I've only hunted elk in the rut while they are bugling. I'd like anyone to discuss how you go about spot and stalk bivy hunting elk. Do you hike all the way to the top and start glassing then move? Or do you glass all day and try to map out the elk then try to ambush them in the morning? Or do you glass in the morning and wait till they bed then move on them? Many different factors go into early season elk and any of you more seasoned early season hunters chiming in would help! I look forward to the challenge of hunting silent elk in the high country this year, I'll save my fanatic bugling sessions for northern idaho in late archery. Any info is appreciated!

Jason Stafford

Lil-Rokslider
I find a high vista where I can see lots of country, then glass until I find a bull I like. I watch him for a little while to get a feel for the general direction that he is headed. I stalk in, but most of the time I'm looking to get ahead of the bull so I can ambush him.

Swede

WKR
I know hunters who rarely if ever go out in the early season. They wait until it is near the rut. I prefer the early season and have taken about 75% of my elk in the first week. I do my spotting and stalking from a tree stand. I go to fringe elk country where it is hot and dry if can, and sit over a water hole. In the early season wallows are used more, so they too can be productive.

Jody Cyr

FNG
I do better calling that first week then any other time especially on mature bulls.