Early archery Montana

danarnold

WKR
Early archery Montana, group of four of us heading to unit 330, Gravley range.
Two in our group (I'm not one of them) were there eight years ago but I think a lot has changed.
Is anyone willing to give some insight on hunting pressure or predator population.
The reason we're going there is two of us had previous experience in the area,
coming from Missouri no real time to scout but we will be there two weeks.

We aren't opposed to try another area, we have general big game combo tags

Any help is appreciated thanks

Your best bet is the local biologist. I would try it and see what the hunting is like. The wolves move around and make loops about every week or a little more so I find the animals are only dead silent and don't move when the wolves are in the area for a day or two then you have 5-6 days of good hunting again.

Your best bet is the local biologist. I would try it and see what the hunting is like. The wolves move around and make loops about every week or a little more so I find the animals are only dead silent and don't move when the wolves are in the area for a day or two then you have 5-6 days of good hunting again.

Could you advise me on how to get contact info for local Montana biologists?

Snowcrest6

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt across the valley in the Snowcrests. The Gravelly's do have a decent grizzly population, a few wolves on the South and North ends, and a whole bunch of elk.

The biologist you're looking for is Dean Waltee (406)842-7407.

OP
danarnold

danarnold

WKR
I do and I have a side X side ,I heard there's a width restriction on trails, so I'm all over getting more access but have personally never been in that area

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure there's a width restriction? I was going to shoot you a call to see how I could help, but I see you edited your post. Like Snowcrest6 I bow hunt in the Snowcrest Range and will be backpacking in for about 9-10 days, but I have hunted some modern in the Gravelly Range (mostly down the West Fork and off the quad trails). The quad trails give you a lot of access, but I'm not real familiar with (if any) movement of elk during archery. That being said, there is a lot of elk around and if you and your buddies are willing to hike, you can get into some nice basins and fairly remote area.

Clarktar

WKR
Is the weather lately here in MT (Bozeman area) normal for this time of year? Seems like the morning have been in the high 30's... I was busy packing the last few days so I do not remember looking at the mountain ranges around town, but this morning they all have snow on the top... Is this normal for this time of year? Or does it look like we are having a early winterish spell?

Damn MT weather.

Jon Boy

WKR
Is the weather lately here in MT (Bozeman area) normal for this time of year? Seems like the morning have been in the high 30's... I was busy packing the last few days so I do not remember looking at the mountain ranges around town, but this morning they all have snow on the top... Is this normal for this time of year? Or does it look like we are having a early winterish spell?

Damn MT weather.

Dumped some snow this past weekend in the little belts, dam I hope thats not typical haha
I havent been down in your country much this summer but I'd say its fairly abnormal.

phish938

FNG
Never been but I have some buddies that hunt it a ton and are ALWAYS VERY griz aware. Had a buddy pulled out of a tree by a griz a few years back and had to hike back in to get his bow. With all that said they still hunt it back country style every year. Good luck and be smart

krossh

Lil-Rokslider
Jon Boy, how much snow landed up in the little belts? Anything up in the Etten ridge/ Burnt Ridge areas?