Dyneema vs Cordura

bsturner

FNG
Has anyone used tents made with Dyneema that can speak to the pros/cons of this material, other than Dyneema being more expensive and slightly less weight? I've always had Cordura tent materials and haven't had many complaints. Does Dyneema last as long as a cordura, would I feel like I have to baby it or worry about ripping it all of the time?

I am specifically asking because I am trying to decide between the Seek Outside Silex and Silex Ultralight - Is it worth the extra $270 to save 7oz in the pack?

Pezboat

WKR
Dyneema burns much easier than cordura, so if you plan on adding a stove jack to the Silex, might be something to consider.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Dyneema burns much easier than cordura, so if you plan on adding a stove jack to the Silex, might be something to consider.

Technically not true . It has a lower melting point BUT it will not burn or propagate a flame ...however it can be prone to more pinholes .

They are very different . Will it take the same abuse as in 1000 nights in the field , ride it hard and put it away wet ? Probably not BUT it will take a lot and is really easy to patch and fix and probably overall is a nicer shelter in day to day use .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pezboat

WKR
Technically not true . It has a lower melting point BUT it will not burn or propagate a flame ...however it can be prone to more pinholes .

They are very different . Will it take the same abuse as in 1000 nights in the field , ride it hard and put it away wet ? Probably not BUT it will take a lot and is really easy to patch and fix and probably overall is a nicer shelter in day to day use .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ha. Yeah. That’s what I meant. Easier to get holes due to the lower melting point. I should have just left this to the experts! Thanks Kevin!

sneaky

"DADDY"
Dyneema also doesn't stretch or sag when wet like sil tents do. I've got an MLD patrol tarp duo made out of it and it is amazing in the wind and rain. You just gotta make sure your stake points are held down because it doesn't have built in stretch like sil. @AK Troutbum has a lot of experience in Dyneema shelters

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk