Dyneema or Paracord?

Do you prefer one over the other?
I have been looking at some cordage to tie up game bags for our upcoming hunt. I see that Dyneema boasts no stretch and higher strength, but I am concerned about some comments that it is a "slicker" material and knots are tougher.
This would also be used for basic camp cordage for tents/hammocks/etc.

Lastly, for those of you who have bought Dyneema, do you have any recommendations on where to purchase and what size?

Tod osier

WKR
Watching, I've had this question in my mind for a while and looking for an upgrade. I have a use paracord for these uses, but if you have a length of it, the stretch is a bother, especially when trying to hang quarters or a heavy bear hang.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
I’ve used this neon green paving string-line from Anvil American since the 90s. Incredibly strong and light. Always have a roll in my truck to cut off of and another with my gear in the garage. Comes in bright orange as well which I like for lashing animals to my pack. Extra visibility to other hunters.

4E869261-8F82-4E65-B21E-5A16537C1AE5.png

LostArra

WKR
Lawson Equipment has anything and everything you need.

I use the Glowire a lot. Minimal stretch, easy knots.

Last edited:
For my uses, dyneema is preferred because the added bulk of 550 cord is unwarranted. I purchase my 3mm(?) dyneema cord w/reflective off of Amazon.

Although I do have 100’ of 550 cord in game cart pouch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4ester

WKR
Lawson Equipment has anything and everything you need.

I use the Glowire a lot. Minimal stretch, easy knots.

I second this. Have it on all my tents.

Lawson’s make some excellent stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zulu

FNG
For hammocks, tents, tarps and similar applications the dyneema is the way to go. No stretch so your tarps won't sag overnight like they will with 550.

OP
I
Just ordered a 150' section of Dyneema to try out during our spring bear hunt. I saw a few other places online that talk about cutting it and letting the outer layer seal itself around the fibers. I also saw using electrical tape around the end and using super glue instead of flame. Any preference on either of these methods? I have also looked at putting in eye splices on the ends of the ones that I will use to hang meat with. Any other info or things I should be aware of when using its greatly appreciated.

zulu

FNG
Just ordered a 150' section of Dyneema to try out during our spring bear hunt. I saw a few other places online that talk about cutting it and letting the outer layer seal itself around the fibers. I also saw using electrical tape around the end and using super glue instead of flame. Any preference on either of these methods? I have also looked at putting in eye splices on the ends of the ones that I will use to hang meat with. Any other info or things I should be aware of when using its greatly appreciated.

I've just been burning the ends of it to seal it and prevent fraying. That has worked well for me. I've heard of others using super glue but that seems like more work and the melting has held up well for my camping gear.

Another Lawson fan. I rig my tents, tarps and ponchos with their stuff.

I use 550 also and carry 50 ft for general use. I find it up to most tasks. It can get picked and puller. It also soaks up water and can freeze solid If wet. Moreso than Dyneema.

I do have a 50 ft piece of Dy I will carry instead of the 550 if I am really trying to cut weight.

mtnkid85

WKR
Dyneema gets spendy quick when your cutting random lengths of it up for random cordage. I use Dyneema for my dedicated bear hang line and my guy lines, but just use cheap paracord for the utility work.

OP
I
Another Lawson fan. I rig my tents, tarps and ponchos with their stuff.

I use 550 also and carry 50 ft for general use. I find it up to most tasks. It can get picked and puller. It also soaks up water and can freeze solid If wet. Moreso than Dyneema.

I do have a 50 ft piece of Dy I will carry instead of the 550 if I am really trying to cut weight.
That's the plan is weight savings and water resistant. I have 50 feet of Paracord but hoisting game bags seems like the stretch is a bit much and for hammocks it tends to sag.

I've just been burning the ends of it to seal it and prevent fraying. That has worked well for me. I've heard of others using super glue but that seems like more work and the melting has held up well for my camping gear.
Same here.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member

Pn8hall

WKR
What diameter is everyone using in the dyneema? I bought some 1.6 mm last year but have not used it yet and could see trying to hoist up a load by hand being difficult due to its small size. It is very thin and 100ft takes up a fraction of the space of same length of paracord.

stephane110

Lil-Rokslider
What diameter is everyone using in the dyneema? I bought some 1.6 mm last year but have not used it yet and could see trying to hoist up a load by hand being difficult due to its small size. It is very thin and 100ft takes up a fraction of the space of same length of paracord.
I typically wrap it around a stick a few times, then use the stick as a handle to hoist

I carry a fairly generous hank of lite outdoors or Larson reflective guyline in the 2mm(ish) diameter for everything around camp (hanging food, clothes, odds and ends). I also have this line attached as guyline for all my shelters. It’s lightweight, strong, has a good bite for knots, but stiff enough to untie easily. The reflective is a nice bonus when navigating to and around camp and my food tree in the dark. I do have one DISCLAIMER: I’ve heard people complain that the reflective line can be abrasive on guy out loops and can cause them to wear and eventually break, but I was already too addicted to the benefits of the reflective line by the time of hearing that to just cut them right off and replace them. So, I have been paying close attention and haven’t noticed any wear yet. Perhaps I’m not experiencing adverse enough weather for it to be an issue, but it’s definitely something worth mentioning.

I have 5-6 separate, precut 10ish ft hanks of standard 4mm paracord to use for all things having to do with hanging and packing the meat, these stay in my kill kit.

I like the extra thickness of the paracord for knots and ease of handling with heavy quarters attached. Also, time is of the essence when it comes to the meat and I feel less guilty cutting the paracord free, if need be. It’s cheaper and easier to get.

I generally throw these bloody pieces out when I get home and replace with fresh ones when I put my kill kit back together.

AKSandman

FNG
@IowaNative look up halibut gangion. Zero stretch, double braid sheath, holds knots exceptionally well and it’s inexpensive. Been using it for well over a decade and had zero issues. The lighter wt. is fine for most everything in camp. If you want to hang a 150lb moose quarter I’d go with the heavier wt. also, get the white stuff not the black. Commercial fishing suppliers will probably have it in stock.

Shraggs

WKR
I use both. Actually the one is use is for fishing 3’ planner boards. Strong thin and chartreuse in color.

Thin line for shelters. I do have one home made hoist for meat or food. But it’s so thin you need an aid to wrap with any weight.

Usually carry 25’ of paracord for general use or aiding for pack attachments like meat. Thicker works better there for me.