Dusting off the bow

OXN939

WKR
Decided to spend some time with the string and stick this fall for the first time in eight years. Picked up a Mathews Z3, got her tuned and went out to a public land area I used to hunt in college. It's an awesome feeling to see that absolutely nothing has changed and that it's still excellent habitat for a variety of game.

This guy showed up an hour after I sat down. Not a monster, but certainly a respectable deer to hang an archery tag on. He actually fed to within 10 yards of my stand, but with no concealment between us I had to sit til he gave me a quartering away shot I estimated at 32 yards. This was correct. Tracked him with a truly insane blood trail for 700 yards, until he backtracked and tucked himself under a downed tree fallen over a creek... I did concentric circles for two hours at the end of the blood trail and was getting pretty desperate with ten minutes of light left when I decided to check the way he came. Truly an awesome feeling of relief knowing you get to use an animal in its prime condition. God bless this time of year.20191006_165519.jpg

PhotoEditor_20191006_203413546.jpg

Congratulations! I’m also getting back into the archery game. New string and cables on the old bow, and picked up a lightly used Hoyt Carbon Defiant.... really looking forward to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Congratulations nice buck. I can't wait to get out myself

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

OP
OXN939

OXN939

WKR
Thanks, everyone. I just really can't describe how ecstatic I was to see the same ecosystem that got me into hunting still thriving, beautiful and healthy a decade later. Harvesting this guy was really just the cherry on top of an incredible hunt. Also, archery is great in the sense that the terminal ballistic damage done is minimal- I took a ton of time getting the brisket, flank steaks, skirt steaks and heart just right and they turned out great. Good luck to everyone out hunting this high pressure gig on the East Coast right now, should be a great day to be in the stand!