Delete

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Every time a buddy of mine goes in and "clears blowdowns" it eats away at me as I cringe thinking about how easy it is now that anybody and everybody can get back in there. :mad:

I don't mind blowdown central, because it generally separates me from the rest of the public. So ya, I'd put "clearing" in the dumb category too. Kind of like shooting yourself in the foot.

OP
grainhog

grainhog

FNG
Every time a buddy of mine goes in and "clears blowdowns" it eats away at me as I cringe thinking about how easy it is now that anybody and everybody can get back in there. :mad:

I don't mind blowdown central, because it generally separates me from the rest of the public. So ya, I'd put "clearing" in the dumb category too. Kind of like shooting yourself in the foot.
Anyone who ever would have known in that area is probably dead. But even if they weren't, I couldn't possibly care less about other people's false sense of ownership of public land.

Geewhiz

WKR
Love it man. Sounds like something I would do.

Imagine if you woulda killed a tree fiddy in there. It woulda been the smartest thing you've ever done. And you didnt know until you tried.

Worth it.

OP
grainhog

grainhog

FNG
As an old sawyer, I'd say at least you have your chaps on! Looks like your running a skip tooth chain, at least you have half as much filing to do. Great story!
Thanks for saying so. Yessir, 70 cc can push skip tooth through some wood!

LoggerDan

WKR
Dumbest thing: I had a Sunday off in logging camp and since the weather (water) was bad, I was planning on going to the ass end of a spur and hunt through the timber down to the beach. I hadn’t had tons of small craft experience in POW and it was a pretty good day to stay inland and an even better day to stay in the bunkhouse.
A riggin kid named Sam had missed a buck a few days prior and seeing how the roads were getting hammered, he really wanted to go check out this spot I’d been motoring over and hunting, with great results.

He finally talks me into going against my better judgement as the weather breaks. We launched from the dock and get past the log pond. A little breezy, but good to go..
we get to the smack middle of the inlet and holy smokes, the chop hits us. I make it across and hang close to the beach and watch the weather, feeling like I’ve already bitten off more than I or the little 14’ skiff can handle.
“Sam, I don’t think we should try it.”
” I know you can do it.”
I say the hell with it, put on the life jacket, make him get his on , pushed on the tiller and away we go. The swells and the chop were so hard upon us as we make our way diagonally across a point, into the next inlet. It was everything I could do to keep the tiller and prop headed in the correct direction. The water did it’s best to upen our puny little boat, but the bow always rose up and headed to the old log dump, where we intended to tie up. After 45 watery and scary minutes, we made it to nutkwa and went hunting. I took a nice buck, and the crossing back, while rough, was nothing compared to what we had negotiated before.
I learned a lot about myself and handling a boat in rough water.

Last edited:

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Anyone who ever would have known in that area is probably dead. But even if they weren't, I couldn't possibly care less about other people's false sense of ownership of public land.
Oh, I'm quite sure every square inch of the lower 48 is already known to multiples of people that are still living......and new folks find their way in there every year, even with the blow downs. One year my buddy and I were scouting new areas and we got back in a long ways. We found a spot that looked like a spot that not many folks would ever find or even want to hike to. While we were stopped I looked down and saw a jar and opened it up. It was a geo-caching jar for folks to add their names to.........SMH.

tdhanses

WKR
Oh, I'm quite sure every square inch of the lower 48 is already known to multiples of people that are still living......and new folks find their way in there every year, even with the blow downs. One year my buddy and I were scouting new areas and we got back in a long ways. We found a spot that looked like a spot that not many folks would ever find or even want to hike to. While we were stopped I looked down and saw a jar and opened it up. It was a geo-caching jar for folks to add their names to.........SMH.
Did you add it?

ljalberta

WKR
Loved the write up. And to think, for a guy whose true passion is clearly sawing wood, you probably could have found a gig paying you for all that sawing.

Hope you pull something out of there someday though.

OP
grainhog

grainhog

FNG
So lessons learned are don't listen to tips from taxidermists and spend more time glassing and less time chainsawing? I'm exhausted just reading

Dumbest thing: I had a Sunday off in logging camp and since the weather (water) was bad, I was planning on going to the ass end of a spur and hunt through the timber down to the beach. I hadn’t had tons of small craft experience in POW and it was a pretty good day to stay inland and an even better day to stay in the bunkhouse.
A riggin kid named Sam had missed a buck a few days prior and seeing how the roads were getting hammered, he really wanted to go check out this spot I’d been motoring over and hunting, with great results.

He finally talks me into going against my better judgement as the weather breaks. We launched from the dock and get past the log pond. A little breezy, but good to go..
we get to the smack middle of the inlet and holy smokes, the chop hits us. I make it across and hang close to the beach and watch the weather, feeling like I’ve already bitten off more than I or the little 14’ skiff can handle.
“Sam, I don’t think we should try it.”
” I know you can do it.”
I say the hell with it, put on the life jacket, make him get his on , pushed on the tiller and away we go. The swells and the chop were so hard upon us as we make our way diagonally across a point, into the next inlet. It was everything I could do to keep the tiller and prop headed in the correct direction. The water did it’s best to upen our puny little boat, but the bow always rose up and headed to the old log dump, where we intended to tie up. After 45 watery and scary minutes, we made it to nutkwa and went hunting. I took a nice buck, and the crossing back, while rough, was nothing compared to what we had negotiated before.
I learned a lot about myself and handling a boat in rough water.
Ha! Awesome story man. That was a rad one. Hope to make it up there to the big timber one day.

I frequently saw out roads and trails to get me safe access to remote drainages and ridges. Over time I find when things are there or how they travel through.

Many places have no elk until I cut a path to facilitate elk travel. That access can channel elk into places that they are fairly rare if the habitat exists. A 170 is good for trails for lodgepole and I have a 311 for areas of fir downfall where the logs tend to be 2-3 ft in diameter.

I tend to recon the areas during season and then come back in the summer to cut out the elk trails but only wide enough for elk and horses.