Drybags/Pullouts

TEmbry

WKR
I want to stick with my Highcamp bag for at least one more year but want to be a lot more organized this year. I was wondering what everyone else is using as dry bags/pullouts to separate gear? Was thinking one for clothes, one for hunting equipment, one for camp gear, and the last as a huge pack liner (may just use a contractor bag instead for this). I already keep my sleep system in a drybag and food in daily gallon ziplocks but was wanting both rain protection/organization for the rest of my gear (allowing me to shed my pack rain cover as well so the weight penalties should be negligible...

Brands to look for? Brands to avoid? I'm leaning more towards different colored dry bags now vs kifaru pullouts for money and waterproof reasons.

7mag.

WKR
I really like the pullouts from Kifaru. I use them for organization in my pack. To keep things dry, I line my pack with a trash compactor bag, or use a pack cover.

tttoadman

WKR
Kill kit goes in a "sea to summit" 4L bag.

Emergency tarp and stakes goes in another "Sea to summit" 4L bag.

My tent, water, and food all go in "outdoor research" 10L bags. I take 1 to 3 of these depending on how long. Once I drop camp, my food and water fit nicely in the top of my bag.

I haven't been doing this as long as alot of these guys, but I put quite a few miles on this setup last year after going for years with the "cram it in" method.

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run 3 pullouts and everything else goes in Kuiu roll top dry bags. Really organized and a roll top M fits 4 food bags perfectly.

Lots of options out there. I use a mixture of OR ultralight dry sacks, (down bag and puffy coat), Ace Hardware trash compactor bags, (pack liner and meat bag), and some huge 2.5 gallon Hefty zip lock bags (clothes and food).

My pack goes in the trash compactor bag at night to keep it dry.

I am ditching my Sea to Summit dry bag for the Katadyne Base Camp. It's a dry bag that'll serve double duty. When traveling across streams and rivers i want my valuables in a dry sack but they tend to be heavy so replacing it with a water purification system for the campsite seems like a good idea. I have 5 pullouts and use large ziplocks too.

katadyn-basecamp-slate._SX342_SY299_.png

mt100gr.

WKR
I have compartmentalized every part of my pack and camp. Having separate, labeled kits for everything keeps it tidy. Makes switching packs really easy, and I am better able to inventory what's packed and what I may need to add for any given hunt. To name a few: FIRST AID, emergency fire survival, kill kit, raingear, bow tools, feed bag, extra layers., etc. Most of these small kits live in ultralight dry bags. Having a lot of individual parts makes packing easy. Also makes balancing the load easier. I am weird, maybe even obsessive, when it comes to gear though...

Buster

WKR
Just venturing into the big wide world of stuff sacks, compression sacks, pullouts etc myself. I have always separated, stored and kept my gear dry using different sizes of ziplocs. Then these bags went into large, heavy gauge clear plastic bags. Worked ok on a budget, but ziplocs are not very durable, and the big, heavy bags are loud.

I took the dive into the realm of bags and sacks to see what is available. Between myself and a friend, we've got different options coming from kifaru, eagle creek, sea to summit, katadyne, and OR. Once we get them all together and compare side by side, I'll post a on what our likes and dislikes were. I did notice that there are a lot of youtube videos that review different bags.

Stid2677

WKR
I use a variety of dry bags and pull outs to keep my gear and food organized. I have started making my own pull outs so I can color code my stuff. Zpacks cuben fiber bags are a great light weight option as well. The OR light weight 55 liter dry sacks make great pack liners and weigh a fraction of what trash compactor bags weigh.

Down gear gets 2 layers of protect when rain and water crossings are in the mix. I always pack my sleeping bag in a TI Goat bivy and then into a dry sack. Since I carry 2 OR DURABLE dry sacks for meat transport I have these to use as extra protection when meat is not being packed.

Cuben fiber dry sacks from Zpacks are the way to go. They are incredibly light weight and waterproof.

Justin,

Which ones do you own and what do you use them for? I have been eyeing them up lately and am undecided on which ones to all buy. It would be nice to have one for clothes, one for a puffy, one for sleeping bag, one for food and then a few smaller ones for kill kit, first aid and other incidentals. How are you doing it?

Thanks!

OP
TEmbry

TEmbry

WKR
Justin,

Which ones do you own and what do you use them for? I have been eyeing them up lately and am undecided on which ones to all buy. It would be nice to have one for clothes, one for a puffy, one for sleeping bag, one for food and then a few smaller ones for kill kit, first aid and other incidentals. How are you doing it?

Thanks!

Without a doubt get the bigger size of their two pillow versions. Amazing piece of gear. Will be perfect for extra clothes/puffy and when you turn it inside out for the night and restuff it you have an amazingly soft fleece lined pillow.

You could easily stuff a down bag/quilt in it by day, and fill with other stuff at night for pillow.

I am ditching my Sea to Summit dry bag for the Katadyne Base Camp. It's a dry bag that'll serve double duty. When traveling across streams and rivers i want my valuables in a dry sack but they tend to be heavy so replacing it with a water purification system for the campsite seems like a good idea. I have 5 pullouts and use large ziplocks too.

katadyn-basecamp-slate._SX342_SY299_.png
dont do it man! that thing sucks and is heavy as hell. MUCH slower than advertised...

Stid2677

WKR
dont do it man! that thing sucks and is heavy as hell. MUCH slower than advertised...

Plus the filter holds water after use and will get your stuff wet. I have one and it has leaked into my pack from water draining from the filter. That filter will hold more water than you think.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Nick,

I have the medium plus dry bag which works well for my extra clothes. (It also fits their 30* quilt)

I also have a few different sizes of their stuff sacks that I use for things like my first aid kit. Can't remember the sizes.

I'm still using other stuff sacks too because I haven't switched all of them out yet.

The only downside that I have found is that you have to be careful with them.

amp713

WKR
I'm just getting into this too but I can fit my Easton Kilo 2p and sleeping bag all into my stuff sack that came with the bag. It is about the same size as a med plus Zpack. I fit my footprint into the chamber pocket of my HC 4800, its also my incase of rain storm rain fly or water cover... I am getting a back pouch that will hold my rain gear clothes and a puffy (once i get one), May also hold a Spotting scope depending on fit. I use crown royal bags for most of my small gear. I will switch these out for water proof bags as time goes. Im ordering a kifaru mega for my food, stove and fuel. In my head i will be able to roll up, drop my tent stuff sack, food pull out, sleeping pad, and tent poles/stakes all at once. Camp is there and ready to go then I can hunt with everything else. This will all be tested and played with come spring!

I use a USGI wet weather bag in my KU 3700. My sleeping bag and bivy go in one mega pullout from Kifaru, my home made super woobie in a second mega pullout, my clothes in the third mega pullout. I have a pillow in a XL bag and chow for three to five days in an XL. My hygiene kit is in a large with my kill kit in a medium and first aid kit in a small. It all fits nicely inside.