Dry Fire ruins Kodiak hunt.

If there was ever a reminder to fully have your head in the game when firing your bow, this is it.
On Kodiak Island for a blacktail hunt. I missed a nice 3 point at 60 yards yesterday evening. I was pretty sure that I punched the trigger as he briefly stopped between clearings, but wanted to get some shooting in this afternoon to verify that it was indeed me and not a sight issue.
My mind was elsewhere, on issues back home.
I didn’t even realize an arrow was not nocked until the bow exploded, my wrist was on fire and I saw my Gearhead B20 on the ground with both practice arrows still in the quiver.
No backup, no archery shop in town, no rifle season.

Hunt over.

e7c8aa4d923366a7b0d05e3572f85857.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
That sucks ! Can you call Amazon and have something delivered ? Have friend overnight their bow to you ?

I don’t think either is a feasible option. I live in Palmer, so it’s a short flight home on Alaska Air, so it’s not a big a deal as someone who spent loads of money to get here from the Lower 48 or elsewhere. The string will have to be special ordered by the Pro Shop in Anchorage, but that will take some time. Thanks for the suggestions though.

vectordawg

Lil-Rokslider
I hate that for you!

My buddy did a drop camp in CO years ago. A guy in the camp the week before he got there got so excited to shoot an elk that when the opportunity presented itself he forgot to nock an arrow.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had to google "Gearhead B20" to even know what that was. I couldn't figure out what was laying on the ground after the dry fire. I thought it was a quiver that blew off the bow. So you dropped the bow at the shot? Coming from a guy that shoots a 38" ATA bow, that B20 is definitely foreign to me.

Anyway......I really like using my QAD HDX rest. Raising the launcher before every shot immediately let's me know whether there's an arrow nocked.

Hopefully your string set is all that was damaged.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Damn humble pie bro! At least you can be honest and also laugh about "it." Good on you! BUT i have a nice compound loaded and ready not in use. I can expedite through AK Air Cargo from Fairbanks today if you're still in kodiak country?

Text if you want to borrow...907 388 2477

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Sorry to hear that. The bow of course can be fixed; hopefully the other issues get worked out with a favorable outcome.

Thanks for posting. It is a good reminder that errors can happen to any of us.

crich

WKR
I don’t think either is a feasible option. I live in Palmer, so it’s a short flight home on Alaska Air, so it’s not a big a deal as someone who spent loads of money to get here from the Lower 48 or elsewhere. The string will have to be special ordered by the Pro Shop in Anchorage, but that will take some time. Thanks for the suggestions though.

Man that sucks. Good reminder on compacency.

Im on JBER I have a Halon 6 28.5 65lbs you can grab and take back if you want.

Or mail it like Larryhas offered. As well. Lmk if I can help.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
I had to google "Gearhead B20" to even know what that was. I couldn't figure out what was laying on the ground after the dry fire. I thought it was a quiver that blew off the bow. So you dropped the bow at the shot? Coming from a guy that shoots a 38" ATA bow, that B20 is definitely foreign to me.

Anyway......I really like using my QAD HDX rest. Raising the launcher before every shot immediately let's me know whether there's an arrow nocked.

Hopefully your string set is all that was damaged.

Yeah the Gearhead is a very unique bow. I didn’t have any prior archery experience, so when I wanted a bow to carry on the mountains for goats and in the future, sheep, I liked the characteristics of them. They are super tough. It doesn’t appear that there’s any damage beyond the string.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Damn humble pie bro! At least you can be honest and also laugh about "it." Good on you! BUT i have a nice compound loaded and ready not in use. I can expedite through AK Air Cargo from Fairbanks today if you're still in kodiak country?

Text if you want to borrow...907 388 2477

Wow Larry, that’s super generous. I sure appreciate the offer, but I’m headed back home in a couple hours from here in Kodiak. I’ve had a good trip nonetheless.

OP
B_Reynolds_AK
Man that sucks. Good reminder on compacency.

Im on JBER I have a Halon 6 28.5 65lbs you can grab and take back if you want.

Or mail it like Larryhas offered. As well. Lmk if I can help.

Very generous of you. I’m probably not going to come back over here, as I’m going to try to make it out to the Sound on my RIB if there’s a good wx window and that will be with my rifle.

Larry Bartlett

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You bet. Man i love those blacktails. Hope you get a couple for the freezer eventually this year.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Oh man, that sucks harder than the government. Thank you for the reminder my friend and I’m sorry for your loss of time, energy, focus, and money.

BAKPAKR

WKR
Wow, I hate that for you. I had a bow explode a couple days before elk season one year. I ended up with stitches in my hand and a bad case of target panic.