Drop Camp Recommendation Near Granby, CO

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
Does anyone have an outfitter they would recommend near Granby, CO for an elk drop camp for a couple hunters? I've only found one but with no reviews or mentions on rokslide. Samuelson Outfitters is the one I found with an internet search.

Also, If outfitters are permitted in designated areas, is there somewhere I can look up who would have a permit for the area I'm interested in?

squirrel

WKR
USFS and BLM are the landlords. go straight to the source (unless on private of course). I live here and I think Samuelson is your only option, at least that Im aware of. All others have tossed in the towel after the fire, you may want to ponder why that is.

Will_m

WKR
Good luck. Finding an outfitter to do a plain Jane drop camp is tough. They make more money off a fully outfitted deal so they don’t typically want to take on a half client, so to speak.

OP
L

landman650

Lil-Rokslider
USFS and BLM are the landlords. go straight to the source (unless on private of course). I live here and I think Samuelson is your only option, at least that Im aware of. All others have tossed in the towel after the fire, you may want to ponder why that is.
They actually recommended another outfitter and said they’re not permitted in the area we’re interested in.

You’re very right. 18 isn’t the unit it once was, especially after the fire.

squirrel

WKR
They actually recommended another outfitter and said they’re not permitted in the area we’re interested in.

You’re very right. 18 isn’t the unit it once was, especially after the fire.
If you have to slum it and DIY I can without equivocation recommend local pack llama rentals.

cs1

FNG
I’ve used Samuelson three times for a drop camp in the early 2000’s, last time was in ‘06. One time it was for just two of us; they didn’t have a problem with it at all. I haven’t looked into them since way before the fires so I have no clue what their current status is (had to move camps, etc).
I really liked dealing with them.

dtrkyman

WKR
I used a guy in 18 a while back, Dave Parri, pretty sure that is the spelling, not sure if he is still around but he dropped us and picked us up no issues, will come get elk for a fee as well.

We were 8 or 10 miles in.

Tried to hunt 18 right after the blowdown 2 years ago - really tough. I was in Indian Peaks, happy to share what I know if it would be helpful. Can't say I know an outfitter or llama renter but I have heard llamas are the move.

I used a guy in 18 a while back, Dave Parri, pretty sure that is the spelling, not sure if he is still around but he dropped us and picked us up no issues, will come get elk for a fee as well.

We were 8 or 10 miles in.
Dave Parr

rtkbowhunter

Lil-Rokslider
How hot was the fire in 18? Did it burn the soil, or is regneration over the next several years not going to be an issue?

squirrel

WKR
Dave told me he was done, he may have changed his mind, but he lost everything when he had to run for his (and his hunter's/stock's) lives. Everything is still a mess from T/H to amount of game left to trails open. It was quite a fire to say the least. I'm hoping to take a week this summer and go end/end, went two years ago and couldn't even feed the llamas in most of it and getting a drink resembled sucking on a charcoal briquet. Hopefully the spring flush will get better with each passing year. The line where the 70 mph winds kicked in is dramatic.