Driving between Phoenix and Denver?

AZ8

WKR
Lake Mary Rd was closed, unplowed, and had 2-3 feet of snow between the two intersections with Mormon Lake Rd. The detour was through the Mormon Lake Rd passing through the town, which was plowed. It was never flagged on AZ511 and Google maps kept telling me to turn around and get back on Lake Mary Rd. It was passable but just took longer than expected.

The rest of Lake Mary Rd was plowed but icy and other vehicles were few and far between so if you got into trouble it could be a while before you get noticed. The signs recommended 4x4 and/or chains. This was a weekday daytrip from Payson to Flagstaff and back so we were on the road early AM and late evening so YMMV depending on day and time

I-17 is probably the safest bet (aside from idiot drivers) but at least I’d feel safer on the Holbrook-Heber route than the twisty roads going through Pine and Strawberry or Salt River canyon if snow and ice were a concern.
Lake Mary Rd is a county road (FH3) and is not updated on AZ511, state and federal highways only. That's why you didn't see anything on AZ511. Need to go to the County website for road conditions for Lake Mary.

Last edited:

jimh406

WKR
There isn't a lot between Phoenix and Denver. There will be long stretches of nothing ... probably no cell coverage, no fuel, no towns, repeating terrain. Interesting terrain, if you like scenery.

The logical break is around Santa Fe. That being said, 400 miles or so is a long way if the weather isn't good. Do consider that place you can get fuel on your stops. There are long stretches without fuel. This time of year, you don't have 14 hrs of daylight. I'd avoid early AM and late due to potentially hitting wildlife.

It all depends on the weather if I'd do it or not. It would be good to have a last minute option depending on the weather forecast to drive or not.

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
If your company vechiles are like my companies with all the nanny monitors hell no they can figure out how to get to you. Speeding, hard stops/turns, over 20mph without the seat belt engaged, idling for over 15mins, it reports you fleet ops..You cant even turn the radio all the way up...no thanks...I would be flying to and from.
Sounds exactly like my current employer. I don’t think they have the nanny monitors

fmyth

WKR
Lake Mary Rd was closed, unplowed, and had 2-3 feet of snow between the two intersections with Mormon Lake Rd. The detour was through the Mormon Lake Rd passing through the town, which was plowed. It was never flagged on AZ511 and Google maps kept telling me to turn around and get back on Lake Mary Rd. It was passable but just took longer than expected.

The rest of Lake Mary Rd was plowed but icy and other vehicles were few and far between so if you got into trouble it could be a while before you get noticed. The signs recommended 4x4 and/or chains. This was a weekday daytrip from Payson to Flagstaff and back so we were on the road early AM and late evening so YMMV depending on day and time

I-17 is probably the safest bet (aside from idiot drivers) but at least I’d feel safer on the Holbrook-Heber route than the twisty roads going through Pine and Strawberry or Salt River canyon if snow and ice were a concern.
It's been one hell of a winter here in AZ! Glad you made it home safely.