Down To Two

SCHorn

FNG
First post so be gentle please. Anyway here it goes. I’m purchasing a long range muzzleloader and a scope to go with it. I’ve looked, read and listened and it‘s down to a Zeiss Conquest V4 6-24x50 or a Nightforce SHV 5-20x50. If anyone has actual experience with either one or both of these scopes I’d like to hear your opinion. Thanks in advance.

I have a long range muzzy and that thing has pretty stout recoil. Because of the recoil I would trust the NF to handle it better than the Zeiss. And welcome to the forum.

OP
S

SCHorn

FNG
I have a long range muzzy and that thing has pretty stout recoil. Because of the recoil I would trust the NF to handle it better than the Zeiss. And welcome to the forum.
Thanks for your reply.

huntnful

WKR
The Zeiss has better glass, but I wouldn’t put anything besides that NF on that muzzy. They kick like a MF. Even with a muzzle break.

rlp10ml

FNG
The NF you are speaking of is a 56mm not 50mm if that makes a difference to you. I have 2 Smokeless Powder Muzzy's, 1 with a V4 3-12x44 and 1 with a NF NX8 2.5-20x50. Both are solid choices and I have not had an issue with either one. I did also have a SHV 5-20 on a previous build and never had an issue with that one either. The V4 definately has better glass than the SHV, tracking on both are spot on, the SHV weighs more than the V4. Hope this helps...

OP
S

SCHorn

FNG
The NF you are speaking of is a 56mm not 50mm if that makes a difference to you. I have 2 Smokeless Powder Muzzy's, 1 with a V4 3-12x44 and 1 with a NF NX8 2.5-20x50. Both are solid choices and I have not had an issue with either one. I did also have a SHV 5-20 on a previous build and never had an issue with that one either. The V4 definately has better glass than the SHV, tracking on both are spot on, the SHV weighs more than the V4. Hope this helps...
Yep it’s a 56mm. Any recoil concerns with the V4? Thx

rlp10ml

FNG
Yep it’s a 56mm. Any recoil concerns with the V4? Thx
I have the V4 on a T/C Encore .45 Cal. Smokeless Muzzy. I am shooting a 275 grain Sabotless bullet @ 2600 fps. I am also using the Zeiss Precision Scope Rings which are very high-quality rings. I have not had any issues whatsoever with the V4 on this rig.

OP
S

SCHorn

FNG
I have the V4 on a T/C Encore .45 Cal. Smokeless Muzzy. I am shooting a 275 grain Sabotless bullet @ 2600 fps. I am also using the Zeiss Precision Scope Rings which are very high-quality rings. I have not had any issues whatsoever with the V4 on this rig.
I assume you have a muzzle brake on your Encore. With the bullet and velocity you mentioned what does the recoil compare to. My everyday rifle is an older 700 in .300 WM.

rlp10ml

FNG
I assume you have a muzzle brake on your Encore. With the bullet and velocity you mentioned what does the recoil compare to. My everyday rifle is an older 700 in .300 WM.
Yes, I have a brake on it. I would compare it to a 20 gauge slug gun or a 50 cal. muzzy with a 250 grain bullet and no brake. IMG_20221208_141840489_HDR.jpg