Double Barrel Rifle

Wapiti1

WKR
One thing to understand about doubles is balance. Kreighoffs are not balanced. They are well made, but not balanced correctly. Not unusable, but they feel odd compared to a properly balanced rifle.

What am I talking about? Balance should be at or just in front of the hinge pin. But that is just the balance point. The bulk of the weight should be between the hands. Meaning the stock and barrels should be as light as possible and the action should carry the weight. Kreighoff and Blaser have very small actions and the barrels carry most of the weight. They aren't as fast to point, and don't point as easily as a better balanced rifle (Merkel, Chapuis).

Take a stick 4 feet long and put 10lbs of weight on it. If the weight is near the middle the ends swing easily, and stop easily. If the weight is at the ends, they become hard to swing and hard to stop. This applies to all arms that are intended to be pointed quickly and react quickly.

Just a nuance of doubles. But an important one if you need it in an emergency.

Jeremy

Maverick1

WKR
I have a Savage, break action. 22LR on the top, 20 ga on the bottom. I used it to hunt squirrels when I was a young teenager. Somehow, I don’t think it fits the mood of this conversation……LOL.

TNTBR

Lil-Rokslider
I know this is an older thread but thought I would bring it back to life as I encourage everyone that has interest in owning one to do so. There are some great deals to be made on second hand doubles in the common big bore calibers.
I went through Heym for my first double in 470 and has put 2 buff bulls and 1 cow under its belt thus far, next year Ele bull and hippo if I can get one on land.
One thing most double owners will tell you is that after you get the first you will most likely be looking for a 2nd or 3rd.

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have several doubles and they are worth every dime if you plan on hunting dangerous game someday. I have a 1912 Rigby in a .375 flanged owned by a famous Brit White Hunter who spent time with Roosevelt on safari, spent most of it's life in Kenya, a .470 Nitro. Buddy has a 1920s .450 No.2 and it's by favorite to shoot. Yes you should buy a double all day.

I would recommend a 9.3 or a .375 H&H or flanged unless you want to hunt Buff or elephant then step up. The .470, .500 and .577 will hit hard, but better than shooting a .300 WM all day. Be warned once you shoot a Buff, hunting anything else isn't the same.

The best option for a new one would be a Heym for sure, below that you have a Chapuis, Kreighoff, etc. I spend a lot of time in this world, any questions feel free to drop me a PM anytime. Chris the owner of Heym USA should be at SCI and DSC this month. Tony who works for him knows more about doubles than maybe anyone alive right now short of JJ Perodeau. Perodeau has a website with a ton of them listed for sale as well, mostly older more fun stuff (H&H, Wesltey Ricards, etc.)

1704738078972.jpeg

Last edited:

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I know this is an older thread but thought I would bring it back to life as I encourage everyone that has interest in owning one to do so. There are some great deals to be made on second hand doubles in the common big bore calibers.
I went through Heym for my first double in 470 and has put 2 buff bulls and 1 cow under its belt thus far, next year Ele bull and hippo if I can get one on land.
One thing most double owners will tell you is that after you get the first you will most likely be looking for a 2nd or 3rd.
This is the truth, he means like looking everyday for the rest of your life.....;)

Happy Antelope

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Pretty sure there’s a dress code just to get into the H&H show room.
Spartan Precision arranged for my son and I a private 2 hr tour at the factory a few years back. Few fun photos attached, one is of the a .700 Nitro they were making for a customer and the shell next to a .500 Nitro. Another is of Mr. Beterra two 9.3s barrels being made on the workbench.

1704738596209.jpeg
1704738614432.jpeg
1704738632259.jpeg
1704738651822.jpeg

I'm not much of a DR guy, but Butch Searcy makes some fine DR's at common man pricing. I'm more of a big bore bolt rifle guy, Ruger Alaskans in 375 and 416, Ruger M77Magnum in 458 Lott, CZ Magnum in 505 Gibbs from their custom shop, Model 70 Safari Classic in 375 H&H and 458 Win Mag, MGA Ultralight in 375 H&H, and a custom Ruger #1 in 470NE. Been to Africa and it's highly recommended. Got 7 big bore 475 and 50 caliber single action revolvers too.