Don’t forget to report your classified sales to the IRS!

Ucsdryder

WKR

This is going to be a mess. I hate checks and money orders but it seems like the best options unless you want to keep all receipts and report sales as a loss.

Dazzler

WKR
And your trades where you had a net gain based on current value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm going to take my chances and see what happens....I think I sold right around 600 bucks worth of stuff this year, none of it for a profit. My taxes are super simple and have been for a long time so I'm not worried about an audit. If they want to run an audit on my for 600 bucks they'll just be wasting their own time.

I'll report back on my results if they audit me!

I'm going to take my chances and see what happens....I think I sold right around 600 bucks worth of stuff this year, none of it for a profit. My taxes are super simple and have been for a long time so I'm not worried about an audit. If they want to run an audit on my for 600 bucks they'll just be wasting their own time.

*The IRS has entered the chat*

Tahoe1305

WKR

Doesn’t start till 2022 return….so just need to start accounting by next week if you wanted to play the game.

You’re good for this years stuff

hunt1up

WKR
This was already the case in IL last year. I got 1099s from ebay, facebook marketplace, and paypal. I think I had 10k or so in income but profits were probably only a few hundred bucks. My accountant had me get pretty close and that was that. I might start keeping track of sales in a little spreadsheet going forward just for good measure. That being said, the IRS trying to keep track of this sounds like a complete joke. What % of the population sells stuff online? It has to be a rather large number.

wyosteve

WKR
While it's true most sales are at a loss, you still need the receipt showing the original purchase price to support the loss. That's going to be the biggest pain.

love how its called the american rescue plan.....
whats the warm and fuzzy name where they can take everything? i forgot.
brave new world,1984 stuff

Last edited:

slowelk

WKR
Luckily 2021 transactions are not subject to this, it kicks in 1/1/2022.

This is timely, PayPal was just asking for my SSN. **** that.