Doing a DIY OTC GENERAL season hunt in Idaho

Vethunter

FNG
Hey Guys,

Will kind of use this thread as dual purpose to serve as my introduction into this great forum as well.

My name is Dakota, I am a southerner from Ga.
Come this Oct I will be making a trip up with a family member to go on a 2 week DIY pack trip style OTC general season hunt in unit 39 in Idaho. This will be my 1st out of state trip hunting something other than whitetail. Definitely looking forward to the trip to a new state and to some new experiences to be had in the field. We are going to be going after both muleys and elk within the respective seasons that they fall in during our 2 week trip. Be it that it is going to be a general season hunt in a not so or as much popular unit within the state that falls in line with some of the roughest conditions to have to face as a hunter regarding : predation, low population numbers, weather conditions, hunter pressure and last but certainly not least some of the roughest terrain that's unforgiving one could experience. There still is lots of optimism going into the trip.

Beforehand of being approached by my family member who is the main one that was going on the trip initially by himself. In which his looking for a plus 1 to go with him, I had not the slightest bit of notion or expectation of even the possibility of being able to go out and experience at least chasing after either muleys or elk let alone both at least for a 5 to 10 year period financially speaking. The slightest thought hadn't crossed my mind of anything DIY nor OTC opportunities. Thankfully however after doing some research and talking between my family member as well as reaching out to the fellow veteran outdoors community for those that have depth in regards to state run programs and opportunities for vets and DAV guys like myself. I was able to learn of the incredible program and resources Idaho in fact had in place for the veteran community. In part which played a huge factor in being able to resource things together and get signed off by the wife aka the bank lol to allow me to commit for the trip.

All of that being said just from my initial experience in dealings with the IDFG & state as well as area specific biologists for the unit we will be in 39. I cannot say how impressed I was between the help they provided me with in getting all of my VA documentation submitted in their online system and approved, as well as helping me get my hunters account situated and license and tags squared away, and lastly the beneficial information they provided myself with regarding the unit and game activity and things to look for and be aware of when the time comes.

The trip itself we are relying solely on our e scouting efforts in terms of scouting is concerned. Unfortunately the possibility beforehand of putting boots on ground will not be able to do so. But we feel confident in the areas we have decided on so far in terms of locality regarding the migration routes, having plans in place with the weather in mind for if there is or is not sufficient periods of snowfall while we are hunting, elevations to focus on being around to pay attention to. And lastly just from what we have gathered and pulled from research online.

It will be a pack in type of trip. Camping for at least 2-3 days depending how we do supply wise with the goal of each trek out to get as far off the beaten path as we can physically manage and then once satisfied spend each several period of days hunting and glassing for opportunities.

Preparation wise there is an intense focus between the physical fitness making sure we have ourselves as prepared physically for the trip as we can over the months between now and then. As well as confidence building getting solid reps in at the range shooting at distance. Having set a personal goal of being reliable and comfortable at 500 yards.

That is about all that comes to mind not looking for information just wanted to post on here in terms of striking up conversation and getting to talk with those of yall who have experience in this type of subject matter and craft and hear stories and experiences. Thanks guys look forward to hearing from yall.

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Hey Brock A, I believe I am unable to send a pm on here as of yet according to the system.

My number is 770-280-5509.

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Adam634. Eventually brother I plan to broaden the horizons and venture out more since I have done quite a lengthy amount of research. As well plan to start looking into investing In buying points for states and looking into quality units for draws, etc... for an off kilter advance but last minute notice regarding the trip I'll take what I can get and make lemonade out of lemons essentially.

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Adam634. I'm not, we already have 3 or for specific locations that we intend on focusing on in the central eastern part of the unit. Information is just that and no matter who has had what experiences in an area at 1 point in time. I'm sure conditions are always subject to change and just because you or myself may have a day for the books 1 outing I'm sure you would be willing to agree you could go back to the same location maybe the next day or next week and not see or encounter a single thing. As far as elevations we are going to attempt to target between the 6k-9500k range. Depending on what the weather is doing around the time of the trip. From what I have read and in talking with the biologists it seems like that if there is no sufficient snowfall and it is dry conditions still our efforts will have to be higher up to locate the mature bucks and elk. However they did say if there is sufficient periods of snowfall and deep powder on the ground that it would be a safe bet to look into the areas around the migration routes along lower elevations towards their wintering grounds. Again I understand there's alot of folks out there that given the opportunity would probably just as much have a guy walk them right up to some game and tell them when to shoot and even hold their hand. But I intend to drum up my own action through my own efforts because when we are out on the trip it will be up to us in terms of whether or not we are successful. I am here purely for like the many that are on here just for good conversation and to actually gain insight more than anything. Because at the end of the day aside from my experience in the military that is about all I have to pull from in terms of preparation and planning beforehand.

Welcome Dakota & thank you for your service.
1. prepare to get your butt kicked by the mountain
2. buy a wolf tag
3. If elk hunting doesn't pan out you can start writing novels. JK!..... good luck!

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Lol thanks crowmangler. At the end of the day I've already surmised that what is to come is a buttkicking of epic proportions. All I can do is the best I can so as the buttkicking is taking place at least the tears to be shed are those of satisfaction and not misery haha. But thankfully I do have the past experiences of the military's version of it's own suck to pull from. As well yes to the wolf tags, from what I've read and been told it is hit and miss on the wolves but I know my family member am going with is planning to try to find one while out there to take down and have a mount made for the home place. And its going to be interesting. I understand his eagerness in terms of the trip I did try to ask him about the feesability of us doing both the mule deer and elk tags and not just focus on the 1 or the other but he had his sights set on the both so will be interesting to see how things play out. From what I understand being the end of the general season for muleys hoping the crowds aren't to harsh to have to deal with but ultimately we will have a more solid plan after the 1st 2 days or so in the unit. The elk we just plan to focus on glassing the higher elevation stuff until we find them or we don't and repeat the process until the end of the trip successful or not. Just praying for sufficient snowfall when we go.

87TT

WKR
My only suggestion would be pick elk or deer but focus on one or the other. You could use as much time as you have for that. They are generally not in the same locations. I guess I'm just on your side as far as focus, but good luck.

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Thank you 877TT. Lol yes he kind of has the young child in a candy store type of mentality. In saying g he thinks while we are out there we might as well attempt to go after both. Granted 2 weeks on paper sounds like a decent chunk of time but I'm sure those of you that do these types of outings regularly and alot of whom do them multiple times each year. Time goes by quickly in terms of taskings from day to day and daily goals to be accomplished. And I'm learned enough up to know at level grade clearing a span of several miles does not transpire easily or in a quick manner and takes out decent chunks of time out of your day let alone tackling rough nasty grade between the terrain and obstacles in which you have to clear on your movements. I'm realistic to understand focusing on the nastier grade and harder to reach pockets is going to take probably a full day in itself trying to accomplish the movements and to get to where we want to be between set ups to hunt or camp away from the pressure. So I believe once we do get out there I am going to try to appease to him once I have a better grip on the situation maybe by the 3rd day of the trip should have enough to sell to focus on the 1 or the other. I know for him he already has a quality bull elk under his belt that he took back in 2018 in NM. So I do believe he will more inclined to attempt to locate a quality muley for the unit, however in terms for myself I know I'm more leaning towards the aspect of searching for elk to try to knock down a bull elk for myself. Either way looking forward to the experience in the field and memories that will be made sucky, painful and all hahaha.

bobr1

WKR
There's an FNG thread for new people that want to introduce themselves. Literally right under general discussion.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

D

Deleted member 39919

All indications are that Idaho will be decreasing tags for out of state hunters along with raising license and tag prices for the same. Not supposed to take effect until 2021 season. Just a heads up...

87TT

WKR
While that unit has pretty good success on deer it also has the highest number of hunter's for elk and deer in the state. Elk success is not great. Just know you won't be alone and stay safe. Good luck.

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Thank you 877TT. Yes, that's what I am expecting is to have plenty of company out there in terms of hunters. At the end of the day plan on making the most of the trip for what it will be and focus more on the enjoyment of the new experiences and new sights and sceneries. And not get as caught up in the focus of killing either a deer or an elk. That would just be the icing on the cake sort of speak. Just being able to spend 2 weeks out in the field roughing it and having a good trip while we are out is going to be the fun part.

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Thank you Vinswitch I've read up on what you are referring to. At the end of the day if that happens to be the case will just have to suck it up and roll with the punches with everyone else. I've heard talks that Idaho wasn't going to be the only state taking those types of measures referencing tags, licensing and permits for the states themselves.

Fullfan

WKR
Good for you, been hunting the Salmon zone since 1983. Several things, Idaho will humble you, wear you out mentally and physically so be prepared. Take what IDFG tells you with a grain of salt, remember they want to sell tags. Do not hunt elk like you do whitetail deer. Setting in a meadow and waiting for them to show will burn a lot of hours, go look for them. Don't quit hunting because it will be dark soon, you have to be there when it gets dark. And the thermals are your friend, elk live by them, so always know what they are doing... And don't try and do it all in one day. If by some chance you do kill a bull don't forget to remove his ivories.. And remember to enjoy.......

OP
V

Vethunter

FNG
Thank you Fullfan. That is the plan aside from actually being there and training in the actual elevations we will tentatively be aiming to hunt in and around. I'm trying to take everything I know currently and apply it to a layered and structured training process fitness wise. I remember just the shear lower levels of oxygen use to whoop our butts on the job training and that's when it literally was my job to stay in shape 365. And I can respect that in terms of the sales pitch gimmick, compared to what we experience in my home state regarding the fish and game it's a rough around the edges approach with usually very little information if any at all when you speak to most fish and game. Granted their not all as bad off but. And yes the concept of actually working around and hunting on the move will be a bit unusual but welcomed tactic I look forward to experience because like you mentioned down south that's mainly how I go about my approach in general for whitetails is finding some well established game trails, food source etc... and play the wind and set up and wait for however long I have in that given hunt for a deer to make itself known. Whereas regarding the concept of muleys and elk until I started my research I had no idea they actually migrated and moved between a summer and winter range but it makes since now that I've looked into the reasons being why they migrate. As well learning about the respective rutting periods for both. Elk I know will have long been over by the time we get there so it will be an intense process of skill looking for where they will want to be tucked away at for safety. Muleys from what I understand should be beginning their pre rutt shenanigans if I am correct when we are there for the hunt. But to plan to look for the mature bucks high up unless the snow forces them lower in elevation.

KurtR

WKR
All indications are that Idaho will be decreasing tags for out of state hunters along with raising license and tag prices for the same. Not supposed to take effect until 2021 season. Just a heads up...

where have they said they are going to decrease tags? Putting caps on units while keeping the same overall number of tags to be distributed through units to keep over crowding controlled somewhat is what I have seen. Along with the price increase.