Does your workout routine change leading up to hunting season?

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
As a self proclaimed gym rat I’m curious to what people on here do leading up to hunting season. Are your lift sessions changing or are you just incorporating more hikes in on your off days? Also what style of workout are you doing in the first place? I would consider myself more of a bodybuilder then any other style lifter but i through in mobility and some cardio pretty much everyday.

fatlander

WKR
Hiking with weight more and lifting weight less the closer the season gets. Traditional strength training certainly has its place, but nothing prepares you for carrying weight in the mountains better than carrying weight in the mountains.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler36

WKR
Above hits the nail In the head
and year round more functional type training for more core stability and always more lower body or total body movements. Squats, cleans, Turkish get ups, and kettlebell swings etc to name a few.
sprint intervals and when the season gets closer longer hikes and longer runs to turn up the cardio more

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
I spend more time sitting on the couch to prepare for my tree stand
Haha I guess it depends on where you’re at and what type of hunting you are preparing for. I’m getting ready for CO archery.

txjustin

Lil-Rokslider
I start insane cardio about 10 weeks before season. I still lift, but it’s very functional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
I do more cardio, more core and lighter weights. 60-90 minutes total.

I work the legs more.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

nobody

WKR
Same as many have said above. Less lifting, more cardio as the season gets closer. Any lifting is very functionally based. Basically I only do my "meathead" lifting-only workouts from Mid November to Mid-March, when there's snow on the ground. I just can't make myself run on a treadmill, so my cardio drops during winter and lifting increases.

Come to think of it, my workout cycles have more to do with weather than they do with upcoming events.

Yes. But only my specific progression focus not in frequency.

Winter = Maximal Strength progression. Longer nights so I don't mind more barbell time. 6 days/week (3 MS, 2-3 HIC, 0-1 Endurance)

Spring = Body focused (cut calories, HIC progression). Back to a Base Block if needed for recovery. 6 days/week (2-3 MS, 2-3 HIC, 0-1 E)

Summer = Strength Endurance and Aerobic Capacity progression. Aim for peak mountain fitness by the end of August. 6 days/week (3-4 E, 2 SE or MS, 0-1 HIC)

Fall = Maintenance mode for all modalities. 4-5 days/week (2 MS, 2 HIC, 0-1 SE or E)

This has been my basic routine/skeleton throughout my 30s. It has worked great for me.

CobraChicken

Lil-Rokslider
I used to be a gym rat. However, I felt cardio and heavy pack hikes helped me out ALOT rather than throwing around weights. I use bear baiting in the spring to start ramping up endurance as I am hiking quite a ways in with heavy loads and then mainly just run and try and get some marathons/half marathons in the summer mixed with scouting trips. By the time sept rolls around I am ready to roll.

I feel this has helped me greatly in being able to just hit the gas and go under any circumstance.

What works for me may not for others.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don’t start rucking weight until about 6-8 weeks before hunting season- start at 30, move to 45, then 60 lbs and then back to 30 lbs just prior to the season. Usually twice to three times a week, the rest of the week hiking without weight.

The rest of the year (outside of hunting season itself) looks the same- hike 35-40 miles/week; strength train twice a week.

This year I’ll be starting two months earlier than normal as I have a Dall hunt the first week of August :D

state637

WKR
I continue with my normal workout routine, 5 days a week of crossfit, and if I've got a western hunt lined up I'll add in weighted hikes and trail runs. This is a western hunt year so I'll start with the weighted hikes probably in July.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
For sure I was just being a smart …. I do CrossFit every morning and bike/run 20 minutes a couple times a week for supplemental cardio
honest question, crossfit has always scared me but what benefits have you noticed from it?

honest question, crossfit has always scared me but what benefits have you noticed from it?
Tbh my cardio is a lot better but I have a rotating chronic injury from all the overuse. I’d probably go back to working out on my own if it wasn’t for the community and people. There’s a lot of benefits from “CrossFit”. But tbh every program I’ve done overtrains the posterior chain and undertrains anterior.

OP
D

dylanvb

Lil-Rokslider
Tbh my cardio is a lot better but I have a rotating chronic injury from all the overuse. I’d probably go back to working out on my own if it wasn’t for the community and people. There’s a lot of benefits from “CrossFit”. But tbh every program I’ve done overtrains the posterior chain and undertrains anterior.
The long term injuries and just injuries I have seen in that type of lifting are what keep me away from it. Not that you can’t get injured in any form of lifting I have just noticed that that style seems to have more.
My lifting routine has definitely changed over the years from more powerlifting to just bodybuilding for strength but with that being said I still make sure my cardio is up there. Do farmers walks, lots of mace work and jump rope inside the gym and then just hikes and rucks whenever I can get into the mountains.
I think I would enjoy the community aspect though because working out at 4:00Am by yourself everyday sure does get lonely haha.

The long term injuries and just injuries I have seen in that type of lifting are what keep me away from it. Not that you can’t get injured in any form of lifting I have just noticed that that style seems to have more.
My lifting routine has definitely changed over the years from more powerlifting to just bodybuilding for strength but with that being said I still make sure my cardio is up there. Do farmers walks, lots of mace work and jump rope inside the gym and then just hikes and rucks whenever I can get into the mountains.
I think I would enjoy the community aspect though because working out at 4:00Am by yourself everyday sure does get lonely haha.
I’d say you’re getting most of the positive effects doing what you’re doing now. I’d say the biggest thing I missed before starting CrossFit was endurance for 20 minute plus. If you’re doing some long heavy pack hikes you’ll probably check that box