Does the lightweight option extend the hunt

Lowg08

WKR
I’m trying to be as light weight as possible on my full set up now. I’m convinced that the less weight I carry the longer I can stay out and going. It would help me conserve energy and wear over a long period of time.

You might play with something like this: https://trailsnh.com/tools/hiking-time-calculator.php

You can vary pack weight and see it's impact. My belief is certainly a lower pack weight makes you faster. That means you can go farther for the same effort, so go the same distance with less effort.

The military has done extensive research on this topic that you can Google up and review.

LaGriz

WKR
Lowg08,
As a gadget guy I too struggle with this topic, Firstly, I chose a smaller volume pack that limits what I can carry. I have been known to inventory after a camping/hunting trip and evaluate items I toted that did not get used. Too many "just in case Items" can be a problem. Spare batteries, shoelaces, repair items, and extra clothes need to be looked at hard. Share them with a partner if possible. Some items like rain gear, and water/filter should not be compromised. I like to eat well. his can complicate my goals. Dual-purpose gear can help the cause. I tend to carry too many knives. Got briefly lost in Montana once in below zero temps. Pissed off my brother very much in the process. Amazing how many compasses, books, and guides I got for Christmas that year. LOL! My bag got heavier the next year and I purchased my 1st GPS. Onces add up to pounds and that can become counterproductive to your hunt success.

LaGriz

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I’ve been even counting ounces but I think I can go with a minimalistic mind set but also keep comfortable Options in mind.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
My goal is to be able to do 3-5 back country out of a 3300 pack

I agree with LaGriz, there are way too many just in case items that hardly ever get used, but they are really useful when needed. I’d also recommend spreading these types of items around any hunting partners. I’m looking hard at where I can lose weight. That’s why I’m in the market for a lighter rifle combo. I think I can easily shave 4 pounds off that between a lighter rifle, scope, and bipod. Water is also very heavy, and I need to plan to use my water filtration more (scouting will give me more confidence that water is actually there). Lots of opportunities for me to lose weight. I have a 4300 Exo pack, and I am always surprised how much space my sleeping gear takes up; it’s somewhat of a blessing though since it forces me to packer smaller in terms of space (which translates to less weight too).

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I bought a havalon multi tool to try and do away with a few extras and a neck knife that can handle big task like the esee izula I think is what it’s called. It cuts out some just in case items. I can put bits in the multi tools. I’ve been narrowing down items to the SG sky air ULT, extherm neonair and a western mountaineering tetra lite bag and SG evo 3300

I often hunt with camp on my back, and yes, lighter definitely lends itself to longer. I do tend to hump in a heavy food bag to a common location and visit it every few days instead of dragging it with me.

My goal is to be able to do 3-5 back country out of a 3300 pack

I used to do 7 days in a 3000 ci pack with a tripod and spotter. Two keys: 1) I used a down quilt that consumes less volume in my pack. 2) I strapped my food bag on top and my puffy and tripod to the outside.

JP100

WKR
In theory lighter will always allow you to go faster/longer.

But depends on other factors, good nutrition and sleep play a huge part in your long term endurance.

You can be cold and hungry for a couple of days, but it does wear on you eventually.

A good comfortable camp with better food will make you hunt harder than being cold and hungry in a super light tarp.

So, go as light as you can, but also make sure your camp is comfortable for the conditions, and you have plenty of calories per day.

croben

Lil-Rokslider

But depends on other factors, good nutrition and sleep play a huge part in your long term endurance.

You can be cold and hungry for a couple of days, but it does wear on you eventually.

A good comfortable camp with better food will make you hunt harder than being cold and hungry in a super light tarp.

So, go as light as you can, but also make sure your camp is comfortable for the conditions, and you have plenty of calories per day.
I was going to say the same thing. Light is great, but there are things that you will have to sacrifice by going ultra light. That sacrifice might not be a big deal for a couple days, but eventually it will wear on you physically and mentally. There’s a few little things I’m willing to pack that help keep me happy and my mind in the game.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR

This is exactly the situation I don’t want to be in. I’m wanting to make sure I’m comfortable but not suffering

huck

Lil-Rokslider
Hunted with 2 buddies 2yrs. ago . packed in real meat for the first nights meal,6 day hike, got done with supper and asked if anybody wanted a toothpick? you would have thought I was santa claus.

croben

Lil-Rokslider
What are those few things that help you stay focused or comfortable?
I ran an Exo for a long time, but it never felt great to me. I recently made the switch to Kifaru and won’t go back. It’s a heavier pack and frame, but it fits me and feels great, even when weighted down. One of my buddies has an ultra light pack and frame from Seek Outside. It’s crazy light, but doesn’t fit me and doesn’t feel great with weight.

I always carry at least a rain jacket. From September on, I usually have a rain jacket and pants, as well as a puffy coat.

I use a Therm-a-rest NeoAir XTherm pad year round. I know there are lighter options, especially during the summer months, but it is the most comfortable pad I’ve found and I sleep really well on it. I also always bring a Therm-a-rest pillow I’ve had for a long time. I’ve tried using my puffy or a stuff sack with things in it, but the pillow feels much better.

As far as food, I don’t go crazy light like I’ve seen some people do. I always have peanut butter, chocolate, and coffee on top of other daily food stuff. Also not uncommon to pack a couple beers. I always bring my MSR windburner and a coffee mug so I can have hot food and coffee/other warm liquids.

I ways have my G20 and an extra mag with me, even if I’m rifle hunting. The predator population has grown over the last few years in the places I frequent. We’ve been having more and more encounters.

I always carry a med kit with a few extra things . On top of the normal bandaids, leukotape, etc, I always have two tourniquets, a set of chest seals, z fold gauze, and an h bandage/Israeli bandage.

I have a few other little things, but these help keep me in the game.

arwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
No debate having a lighter pack is an advantage. Helps save a lot of energy that translates into faster recover, easier climbs and more miles. There’s certainly a line that needs to be found between ultralight, comfort/safety and what’s going to give you the best advantage to find/kill game. Unfortunately for me I find my pack getting heavier each of the last couple years as I add bigger/better optics and more food.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I ran an Exo for a long time, but it never felt great to me. I recently made the switch to Kifaru and won’t go back. It’s a heavier pack and frame, but it fits me and feels great, even when weighted down. One of my buddies has an ultra light pack and frame from Seek Outside. It’s crazy light, but doesn’t fit me and doesn’t feel great with weight.

I always carry at least a rain jacket. From September on, I usually have a rain jacket and pants, as well as a puffy coat.

I use a Therm-a-rest NeoAir XTherm pad year round. I know there are lighter options, especially during the summer months, but it is the most comfortable pad I’ve found and I sleep really well on it. I also always bring a Therm-a-rest pillow I’ve had for a long time. I’ve tried using my puffy or a stuff sack with things in it, but the pillow feels much better.

As far as food, I don’t go crazy light like I’ve seen some people do. I always have peanut butter, chocolate, and coffee on top of other daily food stuff. Also not uncommon to pack a couple beers. I always bring my MSR windburner and a coffee mug so I can have hot food and coffee/other warm liquids.

I ways have my G20 and an extra mag with me, even if I’m rifle hunting. The predator population has grown over the last few years in the places I frequent. We’ve been having more and more encounters.

I always carry a med kit with a few extra things . On top of the normal bandaids, leukotape, etc, I always have two tourniquets, a set of chest seals, z fold gauze, and an h bandage/Israeli bandage.

I have a few other little things, but these help keep me in the game.
These are things I plan on leaving in my pack. I won’t sacrifice a good nights sleep for recovery. I’m not a nice person without coffee

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Lighter is better, until it is not. I think all in (not counting food, but including clothes on you back, weapon, and optics) 30 to 40 pounds is the sweat spot. Much lighter and you have to sacrifice in areas that you should not. Of course, weather influences this, for September in Alaska I'm just under 40 pounds FSO less food and water. Could get a bit lighter in a warmer and dryer climate. I added some weight back last year and may add a touch more this year.

Beendare

WKR
I like Marbles comment….

I’ve been doing these backcountry hunts for decades. Its much easier early Archery season as you just plain need less. Trying to go ultra light in areas of Alaska where you are soaking wet much of the time..or late season in the mountains with snow….

You better have some extra gear with you or it can literally be life or death.

OP
Lowg08

Lowg08

WKR
I like Marbles comment….

I’ve been doing these backcountry hunts for decades. Its much easier early Archery season as you just plain need less. Trying to go ultra light in areas of Alaska where you are soaking wet much of the time..or late season in the mountains with snow….

You better have some extra gear with you or it can literally be life or death.
I have been looking up SOL pieces that random hunter carry all the time at a smal weight penalty. Seems there has to be certain situations that dictate exactly how light you can or can’t go