Do you suffer from back pain after waking up?

BBob

WKR
I'm getting old with shrinking disks which can and did cause me issues. I am not allowed to sleep on my stomach because if I do so I will pinch nerves (again). I side sleep in a neutral spine position using pillows. It's a pretty common method I believe. The correct height at the head, neck and one between your knees. I also have to work my glutes and legs daily to keep the low back pain away. Tight glute med's are my biggest problem. Daily massage ball and foam roller sessions keep me going and mostly pain free.

Oh.Leever

FNG
I go to bed with back pain. I wake up with back pain. I live life with back pain. I hunt with back pain. It sucks.

Gave me a Gregory House vibe there.

My wifey and I got a purple mattress and I was waking up with a lot of pain. Could barely sleep through the night. Turns out it was my pillow. Too large and not soft enough.

While it’s better it’s still not working up refreshed. I’ll have to see if there’s any diy versions to achieve this zero gravity posture. Thanks for the tip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I have in the past had real bad pain/sprains, Hospital stays in traction. After I started getting on the mend I found laying on my back with my legs bent and calfs up on a chair or the hearth of the fireplace did me a world of good. Now days My lower back gets sore if I push it, but with age, I found taking a rest every so often really helps.

LostArra

WKR
Really though, asymptomatic strength training, Starting Strength style squats, rucking, and intentionally not holding my back stiff when it hurt and using the muscles appears to have fixed it. Not felt like a cripple for the past 2 years. Which after dealing with it from about 22 untill 33 I had just thought it was something I was going to have to live with.

For me, stretching would temporize the pain, but never fixed the problem for more than a day.
Rippetoe is a dogmatic curmudgeon but I took his sore back challenge. Stop doing sit ups or crunches, start deadlifting (correctly and progressively) and just "do the program". The old grouch was right. No back pain.
I can still be a little inflexible when I wake up but hell, I'm almost 71. I'm just happy to wake up.

SloppyJ

WKR
I noticed it when I hit 33yo. I attribute it to years of very heavy lifting and extremely heavy back squats. I think I'm done with that "bodybuilding" phase of my life and I work out smarter now, more functional. I struggle with hip flexibility and I will check out a few of the recommendations here.

Something that we added in our work gym is a decompression table, the one that you hang upside down on. I've noticed a big change since I started using that. I wake up tight, like I had a good workout but not with shooting pains. I also think my sleep number bed is trash and need to talk my wife into getting rid of it.

SWOHTR

WKR
I noticed pain would occur when I stopped lifting - within a few months. I start lifting again, and within a couple of weeks the pain is gone. I’m 35, military, so I generally fit the prevalent demographic that’s been talking.

All that to say I recommend a barbell, rack, Rippetoe’s “starting strength” book, and Wendler’s “5/3/1 Forever” book. 45-60 mins 3-4 times per week on the weights and 2 days of “cardio.”

I'm in the same boat, with a back surgery done after years of running and rucking around - now doing everything I can to not have another one. I also feel the Tempur ergo bed base worked wonders for me and wanted to add that of all the other things I've tried, this helped the most:

It allows for decompression but also strengthening in that extended position, something I wasn't able to do pain free until spending time on it. Unlike the table style, this takes the pressure off your lower body and lets you hinge from yours hips. Not medical advice, just my experience...

I struggled with it and after going to see an old German lady with a mallet and punch to put tendons back in place to fix an old injury, stretching only got me so far.

I narrowed it down and found out that the fake sugar sucralose absolutely tears up my gut and was causing inflammation throughout my entire midsection. Cut that out of my diet for 2 weeks and felt like someone had deflated a balloon in both my kidneys and the sore morning back pain went (mostly) away.

Congratulations on finding a solution to your back pain. .......................................

It's super simple and the benefits I've noticed in a short amount of time are shocking. I've been recommending it to everyone I meet lately to the point of annoying myself hah!

This.. Back pain is HIGHLY subjective but generally it stems from 1 of 4 issues. 1) Flexibility/Lack of stretching and mobility exercise 2) Lack of core and low back strength 3) injury (ie bulging disk, pinched nerve, broken bones) 4) Poor diet making your body break down

Sometimes you can be a combo of 2 of those issues.. You sound like working on your hip mobility is the easiest place to start. Sometimes you'll need to work on your mobility AND increase core and low back strength

I noticed pain would occur when I stopped lifting - within a few months. I start lifting again, and within a couple of weeks the pain is gone. I’m 35, military, so I generally fit the prevalent demographic that’s been talking.

All that to say I recommend a barbell, rack, Rippetoe’s “starting strength” book, and Wendler’s “5/3/1 Forever” book. 45-60 mins 3-4 times per week on the weights and 2 days of “cardio.”

I'm almost 40 and i can can attest to the fact that you CANNOT stop hitting the gym ever.. Even if you encounter a major injury.. there is always something you can work out and get stronger with during your recovery.. I've stopped and started lifting about 4x times.. generally I'll go a few years before hitting the gym again and right up until i make the decision to smash weights and crush my inner weakness; my body feels like its gonna fall apart and hurts everywhere.

NEVER STOP

Nards444

FNG
Need to look at new beds every 5 years or so. Also being overweight is a huge issue for backs

hikenhunt

WKR
Just stumbled on this thread. We actually got an adjustable frame bed for my wife so she can sleep more upright because of some vertigo issues. I've never tried the "zero gravity" button because it looked ridiculously uncomfortable, but after I tried it, I can wake up without any lower back stiffness/tightness. I also understand the importance of flexibility and core strength but I'm loving the zero gravity sleep position right now.

Are you all sleeping on your back in the adjustable bed?
No way I can sleep on my back.I wish I could.

Last edited:

hikenhunt

WKR
Are you all sleeping on your back in the adjustable bed?
No way I can sleep on my back.I wish I could.
I usually start on my back and roll to my side at some point in the night. I was mostly surprised that I didn't have any problem side sleeping in the zero gravity position