Do you shoot factory or load your own ammo?

steeleb3

FNG
Saw this thread on another forum and was surprised by the replies. Wondered what the crowd around here is more likely to do.

I've been reloading my own ammo for 15 years. I shoot a lot of oddballs so it's out of necessity but also because I just like making my own .

What say you Roksliders?
I'm of the mind that factor loads are of adequately quality and consistency for the majority of users. Handloading, for competition are precision shooting makes sense to me, weird caliber, and or, if you shoot a lot and want to lower the cost of your shooting.

For guys that shoot <30 rounds a year, my guess is factory makes sense.

Petwa

FNG
I ordered my 1st press from Gander Mountain back when it was mail order by catalog. Back then shipping and handling times were advertised as 4-6 weeks! The press was an RCBS Rock-chucker. It was about $60 which was a lot of money for a 14yr old. I have only bought a few boxes of factory ammo since. I still prefer loading all my hunting rounds in a single stage press. For plinking loads, my Hornady progressive press is my tool of choice. The old Rock-chucker is still cranking them out some 35yrs later!

Trees91

WKR
Hand loads if it's something I want that is not avalable in a factory load.

Factory if I can find a bullet I want in a load that shoots good.

Used to load a lot when I was into long range and bench shooting.

Now I keep things simple. Quality ammo in a quality rifle with stout rings and a bullet proof scope.

jhm2023

WKR
99% of the ammo I've shot for the past 10 years and continue to shoot is handloaded. It's kind of a combination of making it exactly how I want it, availability of what I need is usually not good, the enjoyment of the process, and the gratification of using the handloaded ammo.

I feel like 90% of hand loaders cant beat Hornady match with their loads… although its great to fine tune your ammo the tight sd and es is difficult to achieve without some money and time in the reloading room!